redtailgal~weightloss~first goal 230

redtailgal

Reaction score
I have to keep a journal of certain things to give to my doc when I go back. I figure I'll just keep my journal on here, and print out my entries when its time to go back.

I will probably need some encouragement to keep posting. Please encourage me. I am struggling with this.

I was thin and fit until I has sick for so long. Several surgeries have taken their toll. Five years ago I weighed a healthy 130 lbs. I have been at the weight I am at now for 3 and a half years.

If others would like to join it, please do so. Dont feel like you have to follow the same format that I am following.

There will be no negativity on this thread.............not even as jokes. Not to me, nor to anyone else who decided to join.

The diet plan that I am on is what has been suggested by my endocrinologist and internal Doctors. The diet may seem strange, but I have promised not to deviate from it for at least 8 weeks. So, please dont take it personaly when I dont take your suggestions on what to eat or do. I will however, take all the encouragement you can offer, dont be afraid to be pushy in reminding me to post (accountability is key)

Here is what I will be using for my daily input:

Date:

weight:

meds taken:

Breakfast:
time:
bloodsugar:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

lunch:
time:
bloodsugar:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

blood pressure:
pulse:

supper:
time:
bloodsugar:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

snack:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

workout routine for today:

redtailgal

Reaction score
Date: 12.26.2011

weight: 242.2 :hide

meds taken: yes

Breakfast:
time: 9 am
bloodsugar: 126 (too high for having just woke up, have to work on this)
weightwatcher points: 6
what was eaten: slimfast shake

lunch:
time:1.00
bloodsugar:127
weightwatcher points:6
what was eaten:slimfast shake

supper:
time:
bloodsugar:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

snack:
weightwatcher points:
what was eaten:

todays workout routine:

Cardio: bowflex rowing machine
Strength: stacked 25 bales of hay

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You can do this!

Question? Are you only counting weight watcher points and not calories?

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can do it! :D Writing down what you eat is the best thing to keep you on track. :thumbsup

I will be joining you, but I will keep my journal stuff on my WW online food tracker. My current weight is 231 :hide , I am "back on the wagon" starting right now. I want to get healthy and I really want to wear shorts this coming summer and not be ashamed. I am going to try and stick to a higher lean protein and lots of veggies diet, but stay within WW points guidelines. It is what has worked for me in the past and it keeps me full longer so I am not tempted to snack on "bad things".

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes for right now, I am counting weight watcher points.

Here's the deal.

Mon, Wends, and Fridays........slim fast shake a breakfast, and at lunch, and lean cuisine meal at supper.

Tues, Thurs and Saturday...........I eat what I want keeping it to under 29 weight watcher points.

Mon-Saturday, I take phentermine. Daily, I take the meds that should help balance out my hormones, and mega doses of Vit d and potassium.

Sunday, no meds and no diet. I eat what I want when I want, monitoring my bloodsugar.

I do this for three weeks, then take a week off and repeat three weeks on and a week off.

I am to do cardio workouts every other day, at least. But I am not to do the same cardio workout twice in a row.

Then I go back to the Dr.

It sounds strange. The goal is to "confuse" my metabolism. According to my endocrinologist, my metabolism is in a "rut" of sorts. We are mixing things up, and a set number of calories a day just wouldn't give it a kick start.

Based on the previous food journal that I turned in (I recored EVERYTHING that went in my mouth), I was only eating around 900-1100 calories a day anyway.

My endo believes (and I am starting to agree) that the reason women gainw eight after a hysto is that the metabolism becomes more complacient. We tend to eat the same way day after day, and since the metobolism "Knows whats coming", it just isnt as active. It causes a semi permanent "plateau" effect.

Up until this point, I have struggled to lose a pound (except when everything changed after my throat surgery). And then as soon as I came off, the weight came right back. This way, I will lose for three weeks, take a week off and monitor to see if I am gaining. With reasonable diet (and my diet and activity level is reasonable), I should not gain wieght during that week off once my metabolism "wakes up".

I am an experiment of sorts, lol.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Oh, lol,

the reason for weight watcher points, is that a weight watch point is a balance of protein, carbs, fiber and fat.........all of those are needed to activate metabolism.

I am also taking a fiber supplement.

With just counting calories, it is very hard to maintain the balance of the protiens, carbs, fibers and fat to keep the metabolism active. Counting calories results in plateau's. We are trying to break a solid plateau.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I've never done weight watchers before. A combo of counting calories and Slim Fast has always worked for me when I want to lose.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I did weight watchers, and I think that for most people it would be an excellent way to diet, for at least part of the time.

They do talk about pushing thru the plateau, however. A plateau is nothing more than a stagnant period of the metabolism. The same thing happens with Slim fast (I've dont it) and counting calories (dont that too).

Calorie counting seems to have the harshest and longest lasting plateau, and the most weight re-gain afterwards due to the stagnanting metabolism.

The theory is that confusing the metbolism, we force it to stay active, watching each day for the proper nutrients, instead of doing "routine" maintenance each day.

By providing fiber..... the metabolism must work longer (thus burning more calories to process the fiber). Fiber is hard to digest, thus its value. It is filling, and its not digestible parts help to "clean" the intestines.

Cardio for obvious reasons, but a short session of weight bearing weight training each day to build small amounts of firm muscle. (we are talking about 10 minutes every other day alternating legs arms and core)

I'll try to include my workout routine as well.