1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ref - Dr. Kennedy (Pipestone Vet)

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by Mike CHS, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Nov 5, 2018
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I don't know how many on the forum know of Dr. Kennedy of Pipestone Vet but he also worked the Ask a Vet portal for Pipestone. He was probably the most used mentor for no telling how many sheep producers that he never knew. I had several questions answered through him and it was always within minutes of sending so I'm not sure how much time he had for life outside of that.

The message posted by Premier1 on Facebook about his status:

"Please be informed that I am subject to home hospice care. My kidneys have quit and I have been given weeks to live. Keep your questions coming. One of the hardest things is the fact that I’m no longer in the sheep business and the flock is for sale.
    - Doc Kennedy

Sheepshape likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Oh, that is heartbreaking. I have read some of his articles and he is full of wisdom. How sad.

3. Nov 5, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

It's a shame...

Mike CHS and Sheepshape like this.
  4. Nov 6, 2018
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

I obviously have no knowledge of Dr Kennedy and his services, but he sounds like The Best. Giving advice when it is most needed is a great thing......instead of the "Well, if only I had known, I would have helped out".

Keep sending him your questions.....clearly his timely advice was and is invaluable.

Having nearly dispensed with my sheep I have an idea how it feels to think of them going to someone else. Advising on and helping with other folks' sheep will be comforting for him (not to mention very helpful to the flock owners).

Mike CHS likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2018
    Shellymay

Shellymay Just born

@Mike CHS,

Just wanted to join BYH (again) to say thank you for posting this, Doc Kennedy is a world of information for folks like us and he will be sadly missed by thousands of folks, I have met him in person at the North American Katahdin shows and he goes out of his way to talk to anyone who has questions for him, he is down to earth person who is just like you and me right down to the sheep poo on his cloths, prayers for him and his family......

6. Nov 6, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Welcome back Shellymay

7. Nov 6, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Shellymay and Mike CHS like this.
  8. Nov 7, 2018
    Shellymay

Shellymay Just born

Thanks @Baymule @Latestarter , Truth is I won't be staying, but a quick update is we are still running a big flock of Katahdins and are breeding 185 head currently, in addition to that we are wintering 90 head of ewe lambs, still working full time jobs and lovin life with our sheep.....If it hadn't of been for Mike posting about Kennedy I never would of rejoined, but his post was worth it even if my time here is short lived ;)

@Baymule congrads on the new horse, :) @Latestarter hope you and your son get your housing done for the doe's and hope your kidding season goes well, @Mike CHS nice looking Katahdins and hope you and Bay have a great lambing season....

Latestarter, Baymule and Mike CHS like this.
  9. Nov 7, 2018
    Mikenze Poling

Mikenze Poling Just born

Hi there-- how would one beat reach out to Dr. Kennedy at this time? Would love to be able to speak with him just a little more as he is able...

10. Nov 7, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member