Registering a Goat

MarissaCar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a question about getting a boer goat registered...
I got my little boer buck from a farm that specializes in show boers, so I know that his background is good...but he is currently under two weeks old. His momma abandoned them and while the farmers (ranchers...) have a lot of goats without moms (due to abandonment or the mom had triplets), they weren't able to give this one little goat the attention he needed. So, I've had him for just a few days now and he has been doing incredibly well (before he didn't really walk around a whole lot and just kinda laid there...now he runs and jumps and kicks).

So, do I need to find out who his sire and dam is? How do I go about this? I'm very new to boers. I've only had pygmys before.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
you need to have paperwork signed over to you from the breeder. The paperwork needs to state his sire and dam information. It also depends on his parent's percentages if he can be registered at all. Bucks have to be a higher percentage than does to be registered. Ofcourse if both parents are fullbloods than he can be.

They may not be willing to give you paperwork for him, some breeders are funny about that. Or they may feel he has a fault and not worthy of being papered.

MarissaCar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks 20kidsonhill! I'll talk to the breeder about that. I appreciate you getting back to me about this :)

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I'm not sure with Boers but with most registries you can microchip them. Microchipping is easier and faster. The readers do cost a ton, though. With Nigerians you don't even need to microchip or tattoo as long as you aren't showing them. Hope it helps and like I said, I'm not sure about Boers.