amagana

Just born
Reaction score
I have 3 Nubian does I bought last year that I now want to register native on appearance. I would like to maybe show them one day or breed them to a registered buck and so their offspring can one day be American nubians. I know nothing about their lineage so I was wondering what would I put for the tattoos? Their previous owners were not ADGA members and did not have registered goats. Also, there are not any ADGA members that I know of near me. I checked the ADGA member directory and the closest member was about 2 hours away. Is there anyway I could send pictures of the does to someone on here and they sign the letter for NOA and mail it to me?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you gotten on the AGDA website and read the rules on registering grade does? To register as Native on Appearance, the doe has to be seen in person by the person filling out the form and signing. The person has to be an ADGA member and not related to you.

First you need to join ADGA. When you join you will need to file a request for a personal tattoo sequence which will be permanently assigned to you as long as you keep your membership current. If you let your membership lapse your tattoo sequence can be reassigned to someone else, You will also want to register a herd name that will be personal to you If the name is already taken, ADGA will notify you to choose another. When choosing personal tattoo sequences and herd names, you will be asked to show 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. The first one that is not already assigned to another member will be assigned to you.

When you tattoo your goats there are specific rules about the tattoos and which ear they must go in.

The goat’s left ear is reserved for the ADGA tattoo number. ADGA uses a different letter for each year. Certain letters are never used since they can be easily falsified or mistaken. (G, I, O, Q, U) You will receive notification of the letter being used for each consecutive birth year with your annual dues request. The next symbol used with the letter is a number. This number will correspond to the birth order of the kid in your herd I.e. the first kid born in your herd THAT YOU WILL REGISTER will carry the ADGA year letter and a 1, the next will carry the ADGA year letter and 2, etc. You only tattoo the kids you plan to register. In your case that will only be doe kids since Native on Appearance cannot register bucks.

The goat’s right ear will be where you tattoo your personal herd tattoo as assigned by ADGA and the individual ID number you assign within your herd. I.e. my herd tattoo was RT1. We would tattoo each doe kid with RT1 and an additional number – RT1 X. That would be the individual herd ID number of the goat. That number will also be listed on the individual goat’s registration papers. Those numbers would continue from year to year so by the time we stopped breeding our dairy herd, we were well into RT1 XXX.

Once you are an ADGA member and have received notification of your personal tattoo number to be used, you are ready to tattoo the goats. You will need a tattoo kit. Get the one with the changeable numbers and letters and make sure that you can order individual replacement digits if necessary. You might want to order a second set of numbers when ordering our tattoo kit since duplicate numbers will be necessary sooner than you think. Once you have loaded the letters and number into the tattoo gun, make sure to test the tattoo on a sheet of paper. The digits have to be loaded backwards to read properly. Many times I have loaded what I thought was the right number sequence only to be shocked when it punched out backwards on the test paper! Use alcohol to clean the ear flap of oil before tattooing. After punching the ear and applying the ink, cover the tattoo holes with either Vaseline or a heavy greasy antibiotic like Neosporin. The grease will help seal the ink into the tattoo. DO NOT WIPE IT OFF. I do all this with rabbits too.)

Since these are mature standard Nubians you will need a second person (or more) to help you restrain the goats when you tattoo. Put them into the stanchion, and have your helpers stabilize their heads. Sometimes covering their eyes with a towel helps, sometimes not.

Since you are registering Nubian on Appearance does, they will need to be tattooed before applying for registration. you will use the ADGA tattoo letter for whatever year they were born. 2020 is M, 2019 is L, 2018 is K, and 2017 is J. If you think they may be older, use the appropriate letter for that birth year. Now you are ready to tattoo the goats as follows:

In the LEFT ear you will put the letter ADGA has assigned to their birth year. If you do not now what that is, you will have to make a guess based on their teeth. Please double check this letter before you tattoo. Follow that letter with number 1 for the first got. You will do the same for the next 2 does, but using numbers 2 and 3.

Next you will use your personal tattoo number as sent to you by ADGA in the RIGHT ear, followed by a number you will assign to each goat. Since these are your first 3 goats, just use 1, 2, 3 again. Now that the does are tattooed properly, you can fill out the Request for Registration papers, showing each doe’s specific tattoo numbers.

The next hurdle is finding someone that is a current member of ADGA who is willing to look over the goats in person and certify that they look like whatever breed you are registering them as. They have to see the goats in person in order to fill out the form and sign that in their opinion they look like that particular breed. That form must accompany the Request for Registration. Luckily Nubians have a very distinctive appearance. Since finding someone to sign off on your does' appearance will b difficult during the quarantine, I would go ahead with everything else first. Once the quarantine is over, and goat shows open up again, you will have a better chance at finding someone. In the meantime, keep checking the ADGA directory for members near you. Where do you live? Where did the breeders you purchased the does from get their buck and breeding stock? Other possibilities for ADGA members, are local goat club meetings, 4-H goat project members and leaders, etc.

If you plan to show these particular goats, they must be disbudded, polled or dehorned. You will also have to disbud their kids if you want to show them. This is a safety issue, not just for looks.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ridgetop,
I'm confused why you tattooed RT1....your herd tattoo, along with 1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12, 100, etc when the left ear is the sequential number of birth order along with the year identifer....M (2020) 1 or 01, 2 or 02, 3 or 03, etc, L (2019) 1/01, 2/02, 3/03, etc. You can, but it just seems to be a bunch of extra digits.

My Right ear (herd tattoo) is LR51 and that is the only thing to go in the right ear. Left ear is year identifer so my buck born in 2016 is H2 for being the 2d goat born in my herd that year.

Now, the person I bought this buck's sire (Willow-Lane Azaria) from uses WLA as his Right Ear herd identifier. In Azaria's Left Ear is 156 with no year identifer, because you don't have to use it. Sonny (Azaria) is now 11 and his former owner is up in the 2300 numbers. I happened to be in Calif, stopped by to visit and helped catch a buckling born in March. He was Left Eared tattooed/numbered 2309.

Laura
20200702_005559.jpg

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Where are you located?
Laura

I checked the ADGA member directory and the closest member was about 2 hours away. Is there anyway I could send pictures of the does to someone on here and they sign the letter for NOA and mail it to me?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm confused why you tattooed RT1....your herd tattoo, along with 1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12, 100, etc when the left ear is the sequential number of birth order along with the year identifer....M (2020) 1 or 01, 2 or 02, 3 or 03, etc, L (2019) 1/01, 2/02, 3/03, etc. You can, but it just seems to be a bunch of extra digits.

My Right ear (herd tattoo) is LR51 and that is the only thing to go in the right ear. Left ear is year identifer so my buck born in 2016 is H2 for being the 2d goat born in my herd that year.

RT1 was my ADGA herd identifier tattoo. Apparently someone else had just plain RT so they assigned me RT1. Yes, it made for more numbers in the ear. The numbers "1, 2, 3, " etc. I was saying had to be added were the hypothetical numbers for the individual goat. Sorry it was confusing for you.