Registering NOA with ADGA

lhawes

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We acquired two nigerian dwarf goats from a person who got bottle babies but could not handle taking care of them anymore. Bottle babies just are not for everyone!! They take a lot of work, but the rewards have been so worth it. These two girls were born in February but were not registered. I have been in contact with ADGA and have the tattoo issue figured out, but in order to register them we need another member to state they are native on appearance. Since we are fairly new to goats I am not sure were to go to find another member that is willing to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction or help us out in any way?? Our daughter wants to be able to show them but without the registration we are being told she can't!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? That will help people that might be able to help you.

lhawes

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That would probably help huh!! :D I keep trying to do a profile but it will not let me add a location yet... so I am in Shaftsburg, MI (near Perry, Owosso, Lansing, Flint).

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you explain this a little more? I've never heard of this.

Do you know the lineage of the animals?

ADGA is saying you can register if a member say's they are native on appearance?

lhawes

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are new to goats and have a few that are bred and due in June/July so were researching the registration. We have the few that are not registered so I asked a few questions. I also found this on their website:

If you don't know the sire & dam of a dairy goat, can you still regsiter it?

Yes you can. ONLY Does can be registered.

A doe of unknown pedigree may be recorded as a Native on Appearance (NOA) if the application is accompanied by a statement signed by a current ADGA member, who is not a member of the applicant's family, that the doe being recorded conforms to a specific breed type. The name & tattoo of the animal to be registered should be included on the NOA statement. You can get a copy of what an NOA statement has on it from our website under ADGA Paper Forms.

Now.. I also have to contact them for a tattoo sequence for them because they were never tattooed either!! I also have another doe who is tattoed but was never registered. I know her sire and dam, but do not have a service memo so I am not sure yet how I can get her registered.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is my understanding that after 3 generations of tracking genetics a goat can be registered with ADGA as whatever they are, in your case Nigerian. So somewhere down the line your goat's offspring could be registered a purebred.

Just and FYI...A goat that is NOA will be shown in the Recorded Grade class.

Have you compared your doelings to the breed standard? It might be a little hard when they are so young. I am in CA so I guess I can't be of much help. I would suggest you look for a goat club or contact ADGA about finding members in your area. Or maybe find a show to attend or the local fair,

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can also "breed up" with an NOA

Say you get an NOA Alpine doe

Breed her to a registered Alpine buck = 50% kid

Breed 50% kid to another reg. Alpine buck. = 75% kid

Breed 75% kid to reg. Alpine buck = 87.5% kid

I forget how much they have to be to be "American ____________" but you can breed up to it

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news :(

The ADGA documentation on NOA registration should include "except for Nigerian Dwarfs".

My wife called ADGA this morning because we were curious about this. We know someone with an unregistered ND that is the best looking we've ever seen, and we were thinking maybe they can do this.

She was told that the Nigerian registry is a pure bred herd book only.

If you read on the ADGA site the qualifications for ND registration it basically state that it is limited to animals on the AGS and CGS registry and their offspring.

No experimentals, american's, or grades for Nigerians.

Sorry.

lhawes

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah.. this is what I am finding out. I have been emailing the ADGA for about a week now, and I thought I mentioned that they were nigerian dwarf. Sooo back to the emailing back and forth again with her. I am fairly frustrated because we were told that the ones we want to register were registrable since they are purebred. We were told we could register them with stating they came from unregistered sire and dam. I saw their parents, and they are purebred as well. My daughter wants to show these girls in 4h but we are being told they need to be registered first. Looking like we got jipped by a terrible breeder! Guess as first time goat owners we will learn!

Does anyone know if we bred this girls that can not be registered with a registered buck if we can register their babies?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
AGS does not accept grades but it appears the CGS may so you may be able to register their offspring but then again ADGA may not accept a recorded grade AT ALL, no matter where it is from.

The Canadian Goat Society maintains the Herd books for nine purebred breeds of goats and a Special Registry for upgraded animals as specified under the animal pedigree act, which are: Alpine, Angora, LaMancha, Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Oberhasli, Pygmy, Saanen and Toggenburg.

I don't know if you can reigster with CGS unless you live in Canada. You would have to call or email them and find out the details.

I know you get bonded to these bottle babies but in the long run it may be easier if you raise these and sell them and then find a regisiterd doe. I am sure your daughter is attached already but if she wants to show in sanctioned shows then this might be the best and easiest route.

Sorry, I am sure that it is disappointing for your family.