Rehabbing an old hive

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We "inherited" a beehive when we bought our new property last year. (How cool is that?!) The former owners admit that they never really "got into" beekeeping after hiving their bees. The hive is in good shape. We've confirmed that there are eggs + brood of various ages, and the hive is bursting with bees to the point that I'm getting concerned they'll swarm (I saw several swam cells two weeks ago). But the hive also seems to have been neglected possibly for a couple years, at least.

Going into this year, I have several goals:
1) Move hive from the very back of the property to near the house/barn, for ease of beekeeping and monitoring. (DONE!)
2) Begin switching out old/dark combs and replacing with fresh foundation. I intend to replace 20% of the frames this year and continue until all old comb is replaced.
3) Divide the hive to make 2 hives, IF the colony remains strong following the move to the new location.
4) Monitor varroa mite populations and treat if necessary using natural methods. (Drone comb + sugar dusting + sticky boards.)
5) Harvest honey

We moved the hive this past weekend. The bees seem to be accepting the new location just fine. What would you suggest I do next? I'm thinking I'd like to simultaneously replace 2 frames/brood box (20%-- its a 10 frame Langstroth) and divide the hive this coming weekend. Is that reasonable?

Any other tips on rehabbing an old, neglected hive?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can't offer any specific suggestions, but wish you luck.