Reina, Baymule’s Horse

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just checking, is there adequate room between her withers and the gullet? Might just be the angle but looks like if there weight in the saddle it might press down…I had a couple colts with prominent withers and used to fold a blanket back in front to add a little more lift…

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just checking, is there adequate room between her withers and the gullet? Might just be the angle but looks like if there weight in the saddle it might press down…I had a couple colts with prominent withers and used to fold a blanket back in front to add a little more lift…
I will sure check that. Her withers are prominent.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put Reina in the round pen and let her graze this morning. Then I carried a saddle, pad and bridle out there and put them on the top rail. I walked away. I went back later and petted Reina, talked to her and put the saddle pad on her back. No lead rope, not tied up. I got the saddle, let her sniff it and eased that on her her. I walked around her, let the off side stirrup down and saddle girt. Walked around to the near side and cinched up the girt. All done with slow movement, softly speaking and lots of praise. She stood.

View attachment 98777

View attachment 98778

I fooled with her for about 30 minutes, and I unsaddled her, put it back on the top rail.
Came back later and put the bridle on her, again, no lead rope, not tied up. I saddled her up, walked her around and led her out the gate. The bit was hanging too low, so I adjusted both sides. The curb was loose, so I adjusted that too.

I walked her down the driveway, to the end, made a circle in the road, and back. She was very responsive and walked slower than she ever had. Normally she outwalks me and I have to stop her or circle her around me. Today she walked slow, I barely touched the reins to slow her down and sometimes she matched me step for step. She did good.

I unsaddled her, put it away and let her graze some more. Then I put her up and fed her.

View attachment 98779

View attachment 98780
Love it!! And the look on her face - priceless - and seems to say "What? You're not getting on?" :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put her in the round pen this morning to graze the clover. I was going to put a different saddle, a different bridle and bit on her this afternoon but it poured down rain.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I put her in the round pen this morning to graze the clover. I was going to put a different saddle, a different bridle and bit on her this afternoon but it poured down rain.
If you dont mind, could you post pics of the new bits your trying out with her?

Latest posts