Rejected Newborn

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Experienced momma NDG had triplets last night. One was small, weak hind legs and unable to stand. It was 16 degrees last night, so I brought the baby inside our house. I warmed up the baby, gave it a colostrum bottle and we actually fell asleep together. Gave it Selenium/ Vit E gel this am. Baby is standing now, eating well, has peed and pooped. Momma and siblings are rejecting it when we placed the baby back in the pen. I am fine bottle feeding a baby, but the baby cries when it is not held. I don't want to stress the baby any more than need be.

I have a baby goat sleeping on my lap as I write this. I need to get some work done. Would a stuffed animal keep the baby happy? Any advice?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can try that. Sometimes the mom just doesn't realize it is her kid. Some you can work with and they accept, some don't. In few days as you let out the babies you can let the other one play with them. Kids like other kids but watch out for momma. She may not like it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the trips! Sorry one wasn't accepted. Maybe a 2 liter soda bottle filled with warm water and wrapped in a towel? or a hot water bottle if you have that? My folks had one of those when I was a kid and I haven't seen one for many years.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Babies like to curl up in a small basin. Maybe that with Latestarter's bottle will feel cozy?

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I sent my husband out to buy stuffed animals. It seemed to work. She settled in and slept in the dog crate from 11 pm to 3 am. She woke me with loud cries, took 1/4 cup Manna Pro Colostrum, and fell back asleep until 7 am. We both needed a good night's sleep!

This morning she is walking fine, trying to frisk. She is pooping and peeing, so all seems good. After church, I am going to milk some goats who had babies one month ago and start mixing colostrum and milk, gradually increasing to 100% goat milk over the next 2 days. I am also going to try rubbing her with dirty straw so she smells like the others and re-introducing her in the birthing pen. I don't like keeping her cooped up in the crate for too long. She needs to exercise and snuggle with other goats. I am happy to keep bottle feeding her, I just need not to have to carry her 24/7. My husband also built another baby box. We provide our babies with three sided wooden boxes, where the babies can get away from the adult goats, snuggle together and stay warm. We are still having a cold snap in Northern Idaho. If she can just snuggle with her siblings, she will be warm enough.

I actually have an old fashioned hot water bottle. I will try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

One interesting thing happened. My daughter (27 years old) is adopted. Seeing the mother goat reject the baby yesterday elicited very strong feelings of anger and grief in her. She started crying, saying how much she hated Promise, the mother goat. My daughter has named the baby Spirit, and is taking very gentle care of it.

God is so great -- he even uses our animals to minister to us!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry that your daughter had to deal with those feelings. My favorite oldest daughter is adopted, and she has always considered me her real dad so no issues there for her. She was calling me dad from the time she met me at 4 years old, before I even married her mother. Hope everything continues to go well with the kids.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have, but momma already has 2 others to feed.

We had a very similar situation last year except it was quads and we carried the 2 smallest in the house
Mom wouldn't accept them back
But she made enough milk for all of them at least for the first month
Nothing better than mom's colostrum

Latest posts