Remedial training for an Anatolian/Pyr/Akbash and me

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since Biscuit wasn't trained to respect anyone early (per your first posting) you will have to start training them both with more emphasis on Biscuit who sees himself (correctly) as the dominant dog. It was his property first, and because he is still a pup he accepted the other dog onto it, but as he ages things will change.

It makes sense that, as the resident canine, Biscuit should be the dominant one - but mounting behavior can be a dominance display. Did you notice who was doing the mounting when they were playing? (answer - Buddy) :\

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I got home from work today, I noticed that Bubby had nappy spots all over his back and head. It looked like he had be slobbered on or mouthed and it had dried. I was concerned that there had been a fight during the day and gave him a quick once over for injuries. I didn't find any, but as I was looking him over The Biscuit came running and greeted me then licked Bubby on the side of his muzzle. He had the same dried slobber patches all over him. Later, as we started out to the breeder barn, they were running together and playing like old friends again. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.......

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry, everybody, I just sort of left you all hanging. Latestarter scolded me and I'm back, humbly, to update you all on my LGDs, Biscuit and Bubby (the name -Bubby- stuck.)

These two are getting along famously. :weeeThey play together, patrol together, and sleep together. The only real complaint I have is that they roam together. Luckily, all my neighbors like them and have not complained about their visits. Some neighbors even feed them. :\ :barnie

We did have a complaint from the hunting club (adjacent to our property) president and I started keeping them on chains during the day (letting them off at dark) during hunting season, for fear they would get shot. I am in the process of laying an "invisible fence" around about five acres to keep them home. I hope it works, I don't want to lose my dogs. Do y'all think five acres will be enough? :idunno

They are worth their weights in gold, as far as I am concerned. I have had no losses to predators since getting Biscuit, and getting Bubby just about stopped Biscuit from "playing" with the chickens - just about. He has not killed any, but I did catch him chasing a rooster around a bush a day or two ago. The rooster would duck around the shrub one way and then the other and the dog would bounce on his front legs back and forth on the other side. I think I caught him in the act fairly soon after the game started, and scolded him severely. He looked at me like, "Ma aa? What did I do?"

They have totally opposite personalities. Biscuit is calm, quiet, sweet, and friendly to everyone. He is ever so gentle with the grand kids and approaches everyone he meets as if they were his ruler and he the humble servant. Bubby, on the other hand, thinks he is the boss, and expects to get anything he wants. He will jump on you, bowl you over to get into the house when the door is opened, and will use his paw to knock a bucket or sack out of your hand to see what's in it. I have worked hard to gain some control over him and it works, most of the time, for ME, but he drives the rest of the family nuts. I have started teaching them (the family) how to keep him in line and it is getting better. He is just so BULL HEADED! I gotta' love him. He is also suspicious and somewhat aggressive toward people he doesn't know. He barks, walks stiff legged, and raises his hackles when a strange car pulls up, but settles down once one of us are outside and he decides we are okay with the visitor. I couldn't ask for a better watch dog. A neighbor kid told my son that our dogs killed a 40lb coon in their backyard one night, and that his Dad was real impressed. I asked if his family was okay with it, he said yes, those are tough dogs. Evidently, when on the roam, they tolerate other dogs, and are friendly toward people, but not predators. Cool.

So, all in all, a happy tale of two LGDs that turned out well in spite of a couple of inexperienced owners! :thumbsup