Repeat fecal shows barber pole worms

Wensbrit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, they are pets and the kids show them for 4H...so culling won't be an option for us, unless they were super sick and euthanasia was the only option for their comfort. We did ivomectin twice in the last month and now we are onto safeguard as the ivomectin recommended by the vet didn't do the trick. Fingers crossed. Also moving their pasture and once again scrubbing the barn down to the concrete floor, like we do weekly. Very frustrating.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, they are pets and the kids show them for 4H...so culling won't be an option for us, unless they were super sick and euthanasia was the only option for their comfort.

I understand 'pets' and not culling, believe me. I kept the first ewe lamb born here, even though she got bottlejaw as a lamb and it slowed her growth (it was cleared up with Valbazin). Two years later, her mom (Gracie) had another lamb that had a worm problem - this time Valbazin didn't clear it up, neither did ivermectin, finally levamisole worked.

A commercial flock would probably cull Gracie, but she's one of my first two ewes and I won't do that. However, as @Southern by choice said, management changes can help, too. I increased the frequency of eyelid checks, and will continue that, especially for the lambs, so I can catch any anemia early. I got a microscope and will be learning to do my own fecal tests. I cross-species graze with ponies. I'm working on improving the pastures. I read all I can on parasite issues, but with a critical mind, no matter who wrote it (I still see current sheep care articles, even by vets, that advise 'getting on a regular deworming program' - bad idea).

Since you have dairy animals, you'll continue breeding, right? Management also includes how to plan for the offspring. If you plan to keep any to increase your flock, only keep ones that did not have any worm issues. Even if a stubborn worm issue is cleared up, that goat now has at least a few worms (since no wormer kills 100%) that are laying eggs - and the worms that hatch out of those eggs are more likely to be resistent to whatever wormer didn't kill their parent.

Since Gracie has now had 2 lambs (out of 5) that have had worm issues, and she has needed wormed a few times herself, I'm very unlikely to ever keep any more of her lambs. Rose, on the other hand, has not needed wormed since I got her in 2013, has had lambs with few if any parasite issues, and the last ewe lamb I kept was one of hers, that also had a nice stocky build and good growth rate. Good records help make decisions that will increase the overall health of the flock.

Wensbrit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I understand 'pets' and not culling, believe me. I kept the first ewe lamb born here, even though she got bottlejaw as a lamb and it slowed her growth (it was cleared up with Valbazin). Two years later, her mom (Gracie) had another lamb that had a worm problem - this time Valbazin didn't clear it up, neither did ivermectin, finally levamisole worked.

A commercial flock would probably cull Gracie, but she's one of my first two ewes and I won't do that. However, as @Southern by choice said, management changes can help, too. I increased the frequency of eyelid checks, and will continue that, especially for the lambs, so I can catch any anemia early. I got a microscope and will be learning to do my own fecal tests. I cross-species graze with ponies. I'm working on improving the pastures. I read all I can on parasite issues, but with a critical mind, no matter who wrote it (I still see current sheep care articles, even by vets, that advise 'getting on a regular deworming program' - bad idea).

Since you have dairy animals, you'll continue breeding, right? Management also includes how to plan for the offspring. If you plan to keep any to increase your flock, only keep ones that did not have any worm issues. Even if a stubborn worm issue is cleared up, that goat now has at least a few worms (since no wormer kills 100%) that are laying eggs - and the worms that hatch out of those eggs are more likely to be resistent to whatever wormer didn't kill their parent.

Since Gracie has now had 2 lambs (out of 5) that have had worm issues, and she has needed wormed a few times herself, I'm very unlikely to ever keep any more of her lambs. Rose, on the other hand, has not needed wormed since I got her in 2013, has had lambs with few if any parasite issues, and the last ewe lamb I kept was one of hers, that also had a nice stocky build and good growth rate. Good records help make decisions that will increase the overall health of the flock.
Great advice!! Thank you! Yep we just changed pastures and will be doing regular fecals from here on. we never keep all the babies, sell most as pets so, yes I think we will be super picky form now on!!