Required reading...

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Whenever I get into something, I always like to read about it first. And while reading on the 'net is fun and productive (as far as searching goes), it's not as satisfying as curling up by the fire and reading a real book. I look for books written by authors that know their craft or topic, and the love of their topic shines through in how they discuss and share the various aspects.

So since I decided I would do bees, this is the list of books I have gathered so far. I'm looking to you all for comment on any of them, or any additional titles that should be added to the list, and why.

I'm open to any methods, since I have ZERO experience - but I will say after reading what I have so far, I'm leaning Top Bar and natural.
Thanks in advance,
Glen

The Beekeeper's Bible - 978-1-58479-918-4
Better Beekeeping - 978-1-59253-652-8
The Honey Handbook - 978-1-59253-474-6
Natural Beekeeping - 978-1-60358-362-6
Top-Bar Beekeeping - 978-1-60358-461-6
TBH Beekeeping: Wisdom and Pleasure Combined - 978-0-9851284-0-1

I don't have "The Practical Beekeeper" by Michael Bush, but I've read everything on his site.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL and I'm working my way through about 20 years worth of AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL that my uncle handed down to me... starting from '77. Talk about a time machine! Takes me back to when I was a kid.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks like an excellent list, Maggiesdad! I have too many other things going on right now to do anything with bees. :hu But, will definitely keep this thread marked to watch, so I can get these books when I am ready. :thumbsup

Thanks so much for sharing! This kind of sharing is what makes BYH such a great community. :celebrate

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Keeping Bees with Ashley English 978-1-60059-626-1

(Got this one from the library)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Whenever I get into something, I always like to read about it first.

...I don't have "The Practical Beekeeper" by Michael Bush, but I've read everything on his site...

I too have read almost his entire site. He states that his book is nothing more than all the info from his site put into print. A wealth of info there to be sure. That's where I gleaned the info about natural cell size vs the larger cells on manufactured foundation and how it helps with disease and mite control without medicating/poisoning.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think he states the natural sized bees range farther than the big bees, too.
That could be good thing around here in VA, we can get into a nectar dearth with the July - August droughts.
If I make it through the summer with colonies and no anaphylaxis, I'll be getting his book. You are absolutely right about the info there... years of beekeeping experience.

I'm already dreaming about splits, and out apiaries, and kitchens sticky with honey, lol.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got my first issue of American Bee Journal today! :celebrate

I've been debating whether or not to get Bee Culture, too... Anybody take either of these?