Rescue Horses

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Back in the late 90's, as a teenager/young 20s I worked horses for a woman who had some heart issues and couldn't ride herself. Even though I'm no longer working her horses, we are still friends.

Her husband died last November. He wasn't the technical owner of the house, it was in a trust to his kids from his first marriage. SO now that he is dead, his son wants to move in and my friend (we'll call her B) was told in no uncertain terms that she had to find somewhere else to live. She is meeting with an attorney next week regarding Michigan's dower law.

The kicker is that he said that the horses could stay. :rolleyes:

Well, she doesn't have money to board horses and doesn't want to drive back there 2x a day to feed and take care of them. She's 72 years old and works part-time still.

And the horses aren't saleable. But she wants me and my family to take them.

Majik- 16 yr old purebred CMK Arabian mare. I owned and trained her full sister who is the only horse in Michigan to earn Achievement Award points in both dressage and endurance. However, this mare hasn't been worked with since she was a 2 yr old and I was the last one to work with her. She's sweet and has good ground manners, but has never been ridden or even saddled.

Sunni- 20-ish yr old medicine hat APHA. I have shown her at some small shows. She was a fun horse to ride when she was younger but hasn't been ridden since about 2001, which again, I was probably the last person on her. Main problem with her, is that Sunni has some kind of hoof injury. It may be an abcess, it was hard for me to tell. She can't put any weight on it. I do have a good vet and farrier, but given her age, if it's going to be a chronic thing, I will just put her down.

Murphy- Sunni's 13 yr old son, an Arab/APHA. STALLION! He's still intact. Gorgeous, gorgeous animal. My first husband wanted him as an endurance horse when he was a 2 yr old but bought an older Appaloosa instead. Despite his good looks, he has NEVER BEEN HANDLED beyond some brushing. He's friendly and you can pet him, but he has never had a halter on let alone ever been ridden. Hooves? Nope, never been trimmed but they are just as nice looking as any maintained hoof. Not quite sure how he's managed, but he has. I plan to get him gelded, but I'm still wondering how to even get a hold of him so that the vet can do that.

B did look in to horse rescues but they were either full or do not take stallions. She has a lot of trouble just getting around anyway and there will be a very good chance that these horses will be left to starve. Her late husband's cousin who owns a small beef ranch next door helps out but his assistance is inconsistent and he's getting close to 80 himself.

Now for our situation, we currently own a 21 yr old Arab/Saddlebred mare (well-broke, trail savvy, competitive trail and endurance champ) and an 11 yr old Welsh Mountain Pony (well-trained, spunky but safe, trail savvy good all-round pony). We were just discussing selling the pony and buying a horse so that DBF could ride more. We currently board but we have been clearing woods on our land to bring the horses home. We have lots of cedar posts from clearing the woods (see farm name) and other fencing materials, but we would have to put up the fence and a lean-to for them.

I could leave the horses at their farm for a while until we are done. My game-plan is to bring the broke horses home while taking the others to the boarding stable so that I'll have an arena to work them in and have our farrier and vet take a look at the one mare's hoof. I would like for her to be sound because she would be a good horse for DBF, but I know things don't always work that way. And I will probably have to work with Mr. Stud ahead of time before getting him anywhere near a trailer or vet.

Advice, insight, morale boosters appreciated.

Please no lectures (goodhors looking in your direction). I know this isn't an ideal situation, but I have been training horses since I was a teenager and I have worked with 2 out of 3 of these horses and for the stud, I have ridden both his sire and dam quite a bit.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
YOUR the one I look to for horse info, so I can't give you any advise or insight, but I can give you a morale booster! You are such an intelligent woman I know that whatever you decide to do with these horses will be the best options. Not only for you, but for them too. :hugs

Canadiannee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm going to say Congratulations on expanding your equine family! :) Sounds to me like you have already made your decision and have outlined your plan in detail and with deep thought to each of these three equine charges... There will always be people who jump in with lectures, but in the end, it's only you, and YOU alone that knows whether you got what it takes to to tackle this equine journey... no one else can judge.

lol, AND of course, I welcome you to my family's kind of "hecticness" in trying to get a property up to snuff to move horses in as quick as you can! I look forward to seeing pictures digging fence post holes and building a lean-to, and all the general stuff that goes with preparing a non-horse property on a deadline. :ep

I do have a suggestion tho... drop the "I know this isn't an ideal situation" from your vocabulary... yes, the quickness in going from a horse and pony in a boarding barn to now owning four horses (and possibly still the pony) and moving them onto your own property is sudden... but honestly, in lieu of the uncertain future for these horses, a pasture space and a lean-to are hardly what I would call "not ideal"... lol, you were doing great when you were explaining the situation and outlining your plan, and then I wanted to give you a mild bonk in the head (in a friendly sort of way of course) when you uttered those words in your last paragraph... That is a typical response when we're hashing out a situation verbally or in written word to our peers and holding our breath and preparing for judgement.

There are worse things for horses than our mental image of "ideal", and I commend you for not only helping a friend in need, but caring enough about these equine treasures to take on the work (property and training) to make a forever home for them!

Good luck in your journey!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I lurk her alot and rarely say a thing. I am a rescue sort of person. I don't have advice because you are the guruu here really. Really though encouragement is what you need and I support your plan. You are doing what you are doing to save them from the worst. Take your time, take it one step at a time. I am a firm believe that even a stallion can be trained to be handled. BUT time is what it takes. It is up to you... And I think as others say just do the best you can, and don't get in over your head. If you need help ask for it...

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I went out Thurs to work with the horses a bit, groundwork only to get a feel for what they remember.

The two mares were more than happy to take treats from my hands, let me put a makeshift halter on their heads and lead them around. I felt the lame mare's leg and she wasn't reacting to any of my poking or prodding. Which means the lameness is in the hip, hoof or she's numb to the pain by now. Again, could be something like an abcess. Farrier hasn't looked at her yet but based on the description, he said a cracked coffin bone might be a possibility. Likely exacerbated by the fact that the mare has been limping around on it for who knows how long. Sunni, the lame Paint mare, is inconsistent with it. Sometimes she puts weight on it, sometimes not. Yes, a vet will need to check her out.

The stallion is another issue. He's running loose in a 5 acre pasture. He took one treat from me, spit it out, bolted to the other side and wouldn't let me get near him. I tried to keep him moving, but since a 5 acre pasture is not a round pen, it wasn't very effective. I have some cattle panels that I may take over there to create a "jug" to try and use for a round pen/catch pen. He kicks a lot, which makes me nervous. If I can't make any progress with him, I can't take him home. I have no idea how to get him in the trailer, terrified he may kick the crud out of the trailer once in it, and possibly bolt and run wild once we get him home. Also, with our daughters (10 and 8 respectively), I'm afraid that they would get hurt or worse.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard situation....I think investing in some heavy corrall panels might be best for the stud...not sure I personally would trust cattle panels. Hope you can make it work! Rooting for the horses sound like you would be able to give them a good home. Keep us posted! :)

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That stallion is going to take several people and some good drugs to get under control. Be careful. Don't try to handle him without someone else around.
I have a drug ( can't remember the name of it right now) I will look it up then I get home tonight. Anyway it is a gel that you put under their toungue. It sedates them within 40 min. I got if from the vet to help me with a mini donkey that is bad for the farrier. This stuff is great. Maybe you could get him used to treats, then used to a dewormer tube empty.

Once he is used to you working with his mouth, you could use the gel. It would be easier then trying to sedate him with a needle. Then you could handle him a little safer when needed until he trusts you.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GLENMAR said:
That stallion is going to take several people and some good drugs to get under control. Be careful. Don't try to handle him without someone else around.
I have a drug ( can't remember the name of it right now) I will look it up then I get home tonight. Anyway it is a gel that you put under their toungue. It sedates them within 40 min. I got if from the vet to help me with a mini donkey that is bad for the farrier. This stuff is great. Maybe you could get him used to treats, then used to a dewormer tube empty.

Once he is used to you working with his mouth, you could use the gel. It would be easier then trying to sedate him with a needle. Then you could handle him a little safer when needed until he trusts you.
Yes! If you could find out what that is. Thanks. Even if there's a pill form of a sedative, if it could be crushed and put in applesauce or bran mash.

I hate to say it, but I may end up just putting the stud down. DBF wants him for his horse, but DBF is not an experienced rider or horseman. It's a pity because Murphy is so beautiful and healthy, but I'm too afraid that someone will be hurt or killed. Kicker is, I bought his half-sister and she was spoiled and had not been handled so I worked with her for 2 months before bringing her to the stable. She learned to tie, be trailered, have her feet handled and lunge before she left her old home. Murphy was only a 2 yr old at the time. I could have worked with him then, but didn't.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much he might change in attitude if you were able to get him sedated and gelded.