Rescue Horses

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
alsea1 said:
I'm wondering how much he might change in attitude if you were able to get him sedated and gelded.
Extremely little. Once they are that age gelding won't change much. I would be thinking about putting him down as well.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There may be hope for him yet.

BTW, he only has 1 testicle descended. Does that make it much harder for the vet to geld him? Good thing he's never been used for breeding.

I went out there today. Brushed the mares, gave them treats. Need to bring a hoof pick out with me next time so I can see what's going on with the one mare's foot. Picked up feet, rubbed legs, had them give to pressure (me doing the Parelli finger thing, getting them to back and move over)

Got Murphy into a stall. The space between the pasture gates and the barn is enclosed, so we were able to shoo him into a stall. I gave him grain and apples. He wasn't sure what to make of the apples at first but decided he liked them. Brushed him down while he munched on grain. Rubbed on his legs. Didn't try to pick up his feet, but I was able to rub him down to the knees (noticed one testicle hadn't descended). Made him back up. He was actually very calm in the stall. So if I keep working with him, the vet can get in there to sedate and geld him.

He's been in a stall before but the horses haven't been in the stalls recently since they haven't been cleaned since November and it smells just awful in there. Not helped by the fact that they have dogs in the barn and don't pick up after them either.

She also has a standard donkey in there. I hadn't seen him outside, so I assumed that he had died. Ye gods, I wish that he had. His hooves have grown so long that they have doubled over in the front. He can't walk and he has something sticking out of his lower leg, possibly a bone. But there's a wound that's festering with dried blood crusted on it. Then B asked if she should have him put down. I almost ran home to get the gun (I only live a few miles away). DBF has a backhoe, so when the ground thaws a little more, I guess we'll take care of him too. It's awful, I haven't seen the donkey outside in a few years so who knows how long he's been like this.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow. That poor donkey.
As for gelding a horse with only one testicle. That is going to be more expensive as it is a surgery. Not a run of the mill gelding.
But very doable.
Sounds like the poor donkey needs put down asap. Can't wait for ground to thaw.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A cryptorchid surgery is going to be very expensive around 1000 seems to be the normal price. He can not be done there he will have to be taken someone (probably the local university) because it is full on surgery.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a gelding that had one undesended testicle. The vet laid him down to do the surgery. No big deal. I don't remember that it was that expensive.
Try to get halters on them, and leave them on. It may make it easier later. The fact that you have stalls there is great. Sounds like you are doing fine with earning their trust.

:thumbsup

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll call the vet tomorrow for an "estimate" about the procedure. Wondering if the Paint mare Sunni did something to her hip, she seems to be holding her leg at an odd angle (like a ballet dancer pointing her toes at 2 diff. angles) but that could be from hoof pain as well.

Led both the Paint mare and Majik the Arab mare out into the main barn area, tied them and brushed them. Majik was a little unhappy, fidgety but for the most part was good.

I was able to get the halter on Murphy :cool: and did a few things with him in the stall. I need a larger area to really work with him. Bad thing about the main barn area is the half-feral dogs running amok.

Baby steps, one thing at a time. Need to talk to B about the dogs.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bad news.

I spoke with the vet's office this morning and they said that they can't do the surgery on the stallion. It would be a few thousand to take him down to MSU. They said even if they made an exception and did it, it would have to be done at the office under full anesethia (spelling?) and still cost a few grand.

I would have to take the Paint mare in to the vet for x-rays, but she at least can be handled.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
ANY cryptorchid surgery is pricey (dogs included) sucky thing is the testicle COULD be just inside (or WAY UP THERE) no way to tell without anesthesia. So very sad that you're dealing with all of this I hope the mares come out doing ok!

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe ask a different vet. Mine did my horse with no problem. Once they lay them down, they should be able to tell if it will be a big deal or not.
That's too bad. Is there an equine rescue group in your area that could help you with that? I would hate to see a beautiful boy put down because of that.
:(

Latest posts