Rescued Mare due soon - any guesses on date? Picture.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We rescued this mare and her colt last August. The old owner said she was 4 at the time, vet says she is 2.5 years old at the most and was suprised the year old colt was hers. Old owner can't remember exactly when he had the stallion in with her last Summer but that she's due in April or May or June??? Her udder started filling 2 weeks ago. This was taken April 21st.

498_015.jpg

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Despite many years working with horses I have not spent all *that* much time around broodmares so take this with a grain of salt, and really it is a lot easier if you know what the mare normally looks like; but I am going to say a lot sooner than June, maybe within the next 2 wks or by mid-May anyhow.

That's not a badly put-together mare, and nice color, and you've got her in fine shape -- good work :)

Good luck, have fun, post pics when you have a foal :),

Pat

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
my mares started making an udder about a month before foaling. hope that helps some

Avalon1984

Just born
Reaction score
currycomb said:
my mares started making an udder about a month before foaling. hope that helps some
Same here. You may want the vet to do an ultrasound and see "what's going on in there". Remember though that every mare is different. I have had mares "bag up" 7 days prior to foaling and some bagged up 30 days prior. Once you start to see milk leak out of her udders you are about 12-72hrs away. Good luck!

rodeogal

Just born
Reaction score
if she has NOT foaled yet, then start taking her temp daily, once in the morning and once int he evening. get a good base reading for a few days. Once her temp falls a very good amount(100.9 and falls to around 96.7)(just an example) she should foal with in 24- 48 hrs. Her udder is a sign, waxing is a good thing, dripping milk means anytime 12-24 hrs. good luck

cowgirl22

Just born
Reaction score
I can never tell when my pony is gonna have a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!