rescued new born

Kathy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So a man noticed a baby goat down by RR tracks and saw it walking in very tight circle and crying loudly...he thought leg caught in track. Went down and picked him up...baby eyes still closed and ubmilical cord hanging. He took him home and got supplies to bottle feed. This baby got moved around for a bit because he works 10-12 hours a day and this weekend he had to bring him back to his place and he was happy to do it but realized that he did not have the time nor was a goat allowed and he got my name. I went over and brought baby to my herd. First night, I put him in crate in barn so none of the others would hurt him - he only 3 - 5 pounds tops. Today he spent time in pasture with all...really trying to fit in but still being pushed around. I'm feeding him 4 - 5 times a day but he does have scours...very poopy butt ... am I feeding too much? My mamma goat had triplets 2 months ago and absolutely no problems. I'm worried about introducing something to my herd but probably too late. Sometimes the human population really pisses me off...poor little thing.

IMO, if you don't want them then kindly do a humane euthanasia instead of taking the baby and dumping it scared to death and just wanting mom.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bring him in the house into a dog crate, feed him whole cows milk (warmed up) make just hay available to him to eat to get gut healthy. I put the hay in a bowl so it does not get soiled....I know he is young, but once he is drinking fine with the bottle, give him a small dose of wormer, if he becomes constipated...it may be dead worms, try a enema and they will come out., if he is weak, give him some B12 orally, check lower eye lids if not bright pink give him some red cell (it's for horses) in a syringe.....I know i just threw a lot at you ,but remove him from your other goats, they could pass something to him or he could pass something to them. If he gets healthy and strong, give him his CD&T shot before you re introduce him to your goats.....
This is what i have done with several rescues and it has worked for me......good luck with the little guy, he is lucky to have made it to your home :)
He should be drinking 1 to 2max oz every 3 hrs if he is tiny.....best way to tell, if belly is tight, you have over fed. Tummy should feel round and jiggle.....you should only need to feed him 4x day

Last edited: