Resocializing outdoor Julianas

jjenkins9487

Just born
Reaction score
I have two 2yr old Juliana pigs. One male one female, Harry and Rosie.
20210813_175206.jpg
Both pigs started out as indoor babies but the bigger they got the more aggressive they were towards each other(Thay are both fixed). We live in the country with nothing but rolling hills and woods. They love getting forage and explore and it got to where they wanted to be outdoors only. The past 4 months or so have been really tough for our family and spending time with the pigs has just not been possible except for feeding time. I finally had some extra time and wanted it to sit out with my babies but they both really didn't want anything to do with me. Harry even went so far as to snap at me. I noticed Rosie's hooves need a good trim and they both need a little TLC for their skin. What is the best way to resocialize them? I have not had this problem before even when it has been a little while between good belly rubs and attention. They have always loved to be with me especially. This has really thrown me for a loop. I love my piggies and feel very guilty for the lack of attention they have been able to receive lately. For their health I really need to strengthen our bond again so they will allow me to treat their ailments before they get worse. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried just sitting in their presence without really bothering them, hand feeding them, and slowly try to give belly rubs but nothing seems to be working😭

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They may have drawn away from you, even if you had continued the same level of attention, so don’t feel guilty. They are pigs. Small, cute, pets, but first and foremost, they are pigs. If they truly wanted to be friendly little pets, 4 months of not spending time with them would make them stand offish, but still glad to see you.

Some pigs are just big pets, even huge domestic hogs, some just really don’t care and some want nothing to do with you. Some get aggressive and can get dangerous.

Your pigs were already signaling you that they didn’t want to be house pets, they wanted to be outside where they could act out their pig behaviors. You may or may not be able to bring them back to pet level.

If they are free ranging in a large area, they don’t need you. Your presence can’t compete with scarfing up acorns, rooting and digging up earthy goodies. Bring them into a smaller pen where they are more dependent on you. Bring treats. Keep spending time with them. Brush them, pigs generally enjoy that. Pigs are highly intelligent and will soon figure out where the good stuff comes from. Do not tolerate snapping at you. That pig has no respect for you, watch him. If he snaps at you, slap him, possibly run him away from the “herd” for punishment. Have a proud posture, back straight, shoulders back, hard eye contact. Picture a bristling, growling dog. Then when you have “chastised “ him, go soft in body posture, back and shoulders a little slumped and look at him, but no eye contact. You’d be surprised what you can do with your eyes and body posture. After all, that’s the mainstay of animal communication. When he is behaving, then give a treat.

They should get nothing else to eat unless you give it to them. If small pellets or something small where you really don’t want to feed them your fingers, place it in a pan, close to you, only in small amounts. When they eat it, they can ask for more. You brush them, then give another small amount. You give attention, they accept it, they get food. They get aggressive, you take the pan, go hard posture, firmly NO! Set pan down. Rinse repeat.

These are not your cute house pets anymore. These are “new” pigs with their own ideas. Treat them as new pigs that need training.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

@farmerjan got more to add?

jjenkins9487

Just born
Reaction score
They may have drawn away from you, even if you had continued the same level of attention, so don’t feel guilty. They are pigs. Small, cute, pets, but first and foremost, they are pigs. If they truly wanted to be friendly little pets, 4 months of not spending time with them would make them stand offish, but still glad to see you.

Some pigs are just big pets, even huge domestic hogs, some just really don’t care and some want nothing to do with you. Some get aggressive and can get dangerous.

Your pigs were already signaling you that they didn’t want to be house pets, they wanted to be outside where they could act out their pig behaviors. You may or may not be able to bring them back to pet level.

If they are free ranging in a large area, they don’t need you. Your presence can’t compete with scarfing up acorns, rooting and digging up earthy goodies. Bring them into a smaller pen where they are more dependent on you. Bring treats. Keep spending time with them. Brush them, pigs generally enjoy that. Pigs are highly intelligent and will soon figure out where the good stuff comes from. Do not tolerate snapping at you. That pig has no respect for you, watch him. If he snaps at you, slap him, possibly run him away from the “herd” for punishment. Have a proud posture, back straight, shoulders back, hard eye contact. Picture a bristling, growling dog. Then when you have “chastised “ him, go soft in body posture, back and shoulders a little slumped and look at him, but no eye contact. You’d be surprised what you can do with your eyes and body posture. After all, that’s the mainstay of animal communication. When he is behaving, then give a treat.

They should get nothing else to eat unless you give it to them. If small pellets or something small where you really don’t want to feed them your fingers, place it in a pan, close to you, only in small amounts. When they eat it, they can ask for more. You brush them, then give another small amount. You give attention, they accept it, they get food. They get aggressive, you take the pan, go hard posture, firmly NO! Set pan down. Rinse repeat.

These are not your cute house pets anymore. These are “new” pigs with their own ideas. Treat them as new pigs that need training.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

@farmerjan got more to add?
Thank you so much for your reply. It makes sense that they are becoming more independent. Teenage years:rolleyes: Rosie has always been more aloof with everyone but me and my son(he was her littermate, they played chilled and slept together) and Harry was always such an attention hog,pun intended;), that it really shocked me when he snapped at me. I did give him the hard no with eye contact and he stood down. We have been discussing a pen not because of behavior issues but that this year the wild life around here has been unusually active, so we wanted to keep them pinned at night. I am hoping they come around. I absolutely adore them and I want them healthy. That is my main concern. I can't help them if they won't let me. I will have to be patient and see what happens. Thank you for the advice.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really cannot add to the comments that @Baymule made. I am not one to have pigs as pets. I have had some that were great but they have always been a farm animal first. I also have no experience with the smaller breeds and the dispositions they have. I will not tolerate an animal that is aggressive to a human... except for a new momma trying to protect her young and then it is a fine line.... I get where they are coming from and will allow for some protective behavior because I want them to take care of their babies. But they also need to get it that I am NOT the enemy.
Since you have had these from young ones, and they have transitioned to outside animals, the best you should expect is for them to act as animals and not be aggressive to you... I don't think that they are ever going to revert back to the "pet status" that you once had. And a pen to contain them will be helpful, to get them to be more dependent on you again, but it might backfire and they might not be easy to get to return to it if they are wanting to be "pigs/hogs" as is in their DNA ..... You also may need to figure out a way to make a crate for them that they cannot turn around in so that they can be treated if needed.

It is not "teenage years" of independence. It is their true nature that has emerged. If they have the run of the place out loose, you are going to have a hard time getting them to accept any type of confinement. 2 yrs old is a fully mature hog. The "teenage years" rebellion time is when a pig is 3/4 months to about a year old.

You didn't say where you are located... general area.... are there wild/feral hogs in the area? You may find that they will associate with them and then a couple of possible scenarios... the wild hogs will attack and kill them... they will want to spend more time out in the brush with them, or they might try to take off with them. Being they are fixed, they serve no purpose as far as breeding, so might be tolerated, and they pose no threat. But, it is something to consider....If they are foraging for whatever they want, they will become less and less dependent on you for their food also....

jjenkins9487

Just born
Reaction score
I really cannot add to the comments that @Baymule made. I am not one to have pigs as pets. I have had some that were great but they have always been a farm animal first. I also have no experience with the smaller breeds and the dispositions they have. I will not tolerate an animal that is aggressive to a human... except for a new momma trying to protect her young and then it is a fine line.... I get where they are coming from and will allow for some protective behavior because I want them to take care of their babies. But they also need to get it that I am NOT the enemy.
Since you have had these from young ones, and they have transitioned to outside animals, the best you should expect is for them to act as animals and not be aggressive to you... I don't think that they are ever going to revert back to the "pet status" that you once had. And a pen to contain them will be helpful, to get them to be more dependent on you again, but it might backfire and they might not be easy to get to return to it if they are wanting to be "pigs/hogs" as is in their DNA ..... You also may need to figure out a way to make a crate for them that they cannot turn around in so that they can be treated if needed.

It is not "teenage years" of independence. It is their true nature that has emerged. If they have the run of the place out loose, you are going to have a hard time getting them to accept any type of confinement. 2 yrs old is a fully mature hog. The "teenage years" rebellion time is when a pig is 3/4 months to about a year old.

You didn't say where you are located... general area.... are there wild/feral hogs in the area? You may find that they will associate with them and then a couple of possible scenarios... the wild hogs will attack and kill them... they will want to spend more time out in the brush with them, or they might try to take off with them. Being they are fixed, they serve no purpose as far as breeding, so might be tolerated, and they pose no threat. But, it is something to consider....If they are foraging for whatever they want, they will become less and less dependent on you for their food also....
We do have boar in the area. I think it could be possible for them to have met up. Aggressive behaviors are something not tolerated here either, which is what makes me so sad because decisions will have to be made. They have been outside since they were about 7 months old. Harry was a rescue from a family that didn't realize that yes, pigs shed. I know a lady who runs a rescue and couldn't take anymore so I said hey we have the space and Rosie will have another pig to socialize with, why not? I know a pretty fair amount about "mini" pigs but I haven't really experienced them completely pulling away unless there was abuse involved. We might have not been able to spend a lot of time but feeding time I always make sure to give them some rubs. The wild hog idea though is a scenario that could make it possible for different behaviors. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hogs eat meat. No matter their size, always remember that. Pigs are pigs, while you may be able to modify behaviors, you can’t change their basic born-in behaviors. I’ve raised feeder pigs for the freezer and some of them downright gave me the creeps.

Your two have pulled away, which may have happened no matter what you did. They are acting like pigs, as is their nature. If you can bring them back to some kind of pet behavior, well and good. If they don’t fit the program, then it’s time to be realistic and make decisions that are best for your family and farm. That is something that we all have had to do at various times. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and move on than continue to beat your head on a brick wall, getting nowhere.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, probably smacking you a little too hard with the reality of the situation. Not trying to be unkind, just want what is best for you and family. Only you can make those decisions. The more information you have, the better you can muddle through and do what is the best you can do. When you ask for help and advice on this forum, you may get a lot of different points of view. That allows you to look at things in a different light and pick what best applies to your situation. Whatever decisions you make, will be what is best for you and we will support you on that.

jjenkins9487

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for your honesty. I do appreciate it. I realize that some tough decisions are going to have to be made if behavior modification doesn't help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I learned how to do fecal exams on my sheep for worms. I wound up culling an entire line, including the original ewe. That was hard. I get it, I really do. We are here for you.