(RESOLVED) Lump On Goat's Bottom Jaw Area?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
July 1st, 2022 - We resolved the problem by observing his lump and the swelling went down on its own. Shortly after when cleaning their stall, I found a wasp nest with a few wasps at just about face level on the wall and have since taken care of it. We belive that he went near the wasp nest and was stung.

Hi all, I will post a picture shortly. I am posting in hopes to maybe get an idea of what to expect mainly.

I have a male in-tact Nubian goat who is a few months old. On Thursday morning, he was not wanting to eat and very sluggish. Believing it to be heat-related, I let him rest and make sure he had water and his brush available. Later in the day, he was eating just fine and I was not concerned. I checked his eyelids at this time and he looked in good shape, having just a few weeks ago had a fecal at the vet and been dewormed. He was back to normal behavior that evening.

Fast forward to Saturday evening, and we get back from work and I get ready to grain for the evening. On the bottom left side of his jaw, he has a decent size lump that has appeared. It feels a bit warm to the touch, no visible puncture marks. Tried to look in his mouth and cannot see anything. Internal and under the skinn clearly, not an external lump.

This morning, the lump does not feel as squishy to the touch and feels hardened and not warm anymore.

Our vet was already way past being closed, and they are today as well. Other than the funky lump, he is eating normally and acting well today. I am not sure if they will be open tomorrow, but if so I will be calling and trying to work in when I can as we have work tomorrow. Or to see what I can do for the time until he can be seen. Mainly, I am just wondering what to expect. The sudden appearance makes me think abcess (if I am spelling the word right) instead of something like tumor. I know multiple things can cause this, but wondering what to expect from vet talk/visit. Thank you for any advice, and will post a picture when I can.

Last edited:

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone I am actually going to look for the benadryl now because the swelling has actually went down just since last night so we're thinking sting or bite. (Yellow jackets are starting to show up now so wouldn't doubt poor baby got popped by one or a red wasp.)

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Happy news - I updated the first post. His swelling went down and come to find out, it was most likely wasps. We found a nest at about face level in their little barn and think he got too close to them. He is doing great now.