Result of accidental inbreeding has arrived

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Last kidding this season. Lamancha/alpine doeling bred by her own alpine sire....

Looks like every other kid from this sire With Lamancha ears. Single doeling.

Here's the problem. I don't know exact time of birth but this baby girl won't use her front legs correctly. Her back legs work fine but the front she walks around on her knees. I don't remember the other kids (all 9 I have seen born) walking on their knees, just wobbly legs. I know if she's still having problems tomorrow, that there really must be some problem but so I don't have to worry all night, is this okay?

Momma wouldn't get her nose away from my phone for the pic.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Momma refused to let her nurse during the 20 min I watched so I got her on the stand. Took 1/2 cup colostrum for future use and got baby under her for a good shot of nursing.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Better picture since momma is busy eating alfalfa and dropping it all over baby.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I absolutely would not worry about the inbreeding at all. Those of us that do it all of the time call it "line breeding". I have many many kids that are a result of breeding to their sire. I do it almost every year; my only personal rule is that I will only do if for one generation. I have done this for 8 years and no problems.

I would give her some Bo-Se. If the front legs are really bad maybe some splints. Is mom letting her nurse?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She has let her nurse but only when I have made her do it. I cannot be sure though as I am only out there for a bit at a time. She could be letting her nurse just not when I happen to be there. The little one eats well.

I don't have bo-se on hand because when i checked, my area was not known to be deficient

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she cannot stand then she cannot nurse.
Some kids will be weak from strange birth position etc.

I would try some kelp balls. Feed them to momma and milk her out and give to kid.

Recipe here- http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/doe-walks-on-her-heels.25161/#post-330502

Your area may not be selenium deficient but if she has been on hay all winter she may be. Depends on the value of your hay. They do sell selenium gel paste... not quite as good as BoSe but might help.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a new doeling! Seems I've read numerous other posts of similar ailments and none that I can recollect were terminal... They all straightened and strengthened over time with nourishment, supplements, and/or splints. Hope mom comes around and starts caring for the little one. mean time, hope it all comes around and works out OK for all involved.

Reactions: TAH

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I checked at 5 am and she was standing normally on all legs. I guess it worked itself out. I will go out later and ensure she is getting to nurse. Moms bag is huge for a FF so I may have to milk her despite not really wanting to.

Thanks for all the great info!

Reactions: TAH

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well in daylight she is not standing quite correctly. I don't think I ever looked so closely at a newborns legs and the way they stand. Still very young. She stands just a bit too far back instead on straight up on the hooves. They are bent forward so she stands on that back dewclaw portion. It will probably correct itself.....I hope.

Latest posts