Result of accidental inbreeding has arrived

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may need to put splints on but the kelp/oatmeal balls will greatly help. Momma gets the nutrition and it goes through her to get to the kid.

Reactions: TAH

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know if I have "quality" hay but it isn't moldy. Has a few weeds but it is mostly coastal from the neighbors fields. I will definitely try some kelp balls. I imagine they would be good for all my does....

Her udder is full. I have milked done but have been quite busy with other goats/ducklings/goose/human kids that I haven't had time to just milk her out. I need to so I can save colostrum anyway. Isn't oatmeal good for milk production in humans and would it possibly cause even more excessive fullness in my doe?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
it shouldn't cause issues there but if she is real full you need to make it a priority. If she starts leaking then she opens herself up to all kinds of nasties! You don't want mastitis and if e-coli or staph gets into open orifices from leaking you can end up with bluebag mastitis and you will lose an udder. If you think you are busy now and she ends up with mastitis of any kind you will be doing this all day long.
Not to mention it is painful for a doe.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Baby is nursing well. I have some poor pics of her stance and her hooves.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So what's wrong with the hooves?

They look almost overgrown but she is 2 days old.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had some kids recently this year some inbreed/linebred and some not that stood awkwardly for the first 2-3 days before straightening out, so you may have nothing to worry about.

Her hooves look alright, one toe does appear bigger then the other but that shouldnt make a huge difference in her stance at this age. Looks like her pasturns are fallen down, if her mom had good pasterns and her dad did as well she will likely outgrow it. Our lamb took about 2 weeks to pick up her pastures. All the ligaments and stuff(very technical term) need to tighten up.

Anyone have an ideas on anything that would cause weak pasterns deficiency wise?

Personally i would give a shot of the Selenium/Vit E gel even if you think you have enough in your hay...its a tiny amount your giving like the size of a pea and the tube is about $7 which will last you for years really. Alternatively if you dont want to buy the gel you can make sure they have good loose minerals for momma and baby.

As far as mom goes as Southern said she should be fine unless she is leaking milk, then she definately needs to be milked out some. Udders can rupture and believe me if her udder ruptures from being to full you will be spending a lot more time and for a lot longer taking care of it or be forced to put her down. Also generally an udder rupture makes the udder forever weaker and prone to it happening again.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So what's wrong with the hooves?

They look almost overgrown but she is 2 days old.

They are not really overgrown, sometimes if mamma has a lot of nutrients to give, a little extra grows on the hooves before birth...means she is a good healthy doe to give you kids. Generally hooves are not trimmed until 8 weeks old and hers look fine.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay :)

She does walk a bit awkwardly. I hope they get better. I intend to look for kelp and sel/vit E at feed store this afternoon. I have probios with vit e and some separate lamb/kid paste (it does t really say what it is for but it look to be beneficial bacteria much like probios)

I milked (a cup) her yesterday but I haven't milked her out. She is a FF with small teats but huge udder. I milked the hard full side today and got another cup and baby is keeping other side softer.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will watch (as best as I can I have never seen mastitis) for mastitis. With her swelling and hard udder in hoping to relieve pressure and not fully milk out. Her momma's milk tastes a bit bitter for lack of a better word and I dont really want to milk her this season. I likely have plenty with the one doe (although she is varying widely in her production despite steady grain intake) so I may end up changing my mind later but for now I don't want her to up production for this one doeling.