Result of accidental inbreeding has arrived

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The line breeding has nothing to do with the weak pasterns. Most likely either a Selenium deficiency or she was just in awkward position in the uterus. I had a triplet (not line bred) that took three weeks before he walked correctly. The fact that she is walking better than she was the day before is a good sign but the selenium will help if you can get her any.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay :)

She does walk a bit awkwardly. I hope they get better. I intend to look for kelp and sel/vit E at feed store this afternoon. I have probios with vit e and some separate lamb/kid paste (it does t really say what it is for but it look to be beneficial bacteria much like probios)

I milked (a cup) her yesterday but I haven't milked her out. She is a FF with small teats but huge udder. I milked the hard full side today and got another cup and baby is keeping other side softer.

Basically if you can keep it from being hot and hard the doe will be a lot more comfortable. i have a FF in the same position now where her son only nurses one side and the other gets hot and hard so i milk it about half way out twice a day if one of the other kids doesnt get to it before me. She does not have really tiny teats for a FF but not super fun to milk size like a seasoned doe, kind of in between. Honestly if we owned a milk stand i would probly milk her out more but gate milking she wanders around still so it a pain in the butt.

Keep watching the doe kid she will most likely straighten out on her own. We had one doe last year that did not straighten out, but that was an extreme case where she was in womb with front leg pushed up and over her back while developing and the one joint was seized stiff, so she never would have been able to use it correctly from birth...she was a triplet and i think mom just didnt have enough room. We had a boy off a set of twins whose legs were bent backwards the wrong way we were really concerned about but he straighten up in a couple days and came out just fine and normal.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This the lamb i was referring to the day her mom broke her leg (2 days old)
lamb 1.jpg

looks very similar to the way your doe stands

This is roughly 12 days later after a cast change and you can kinda tell she still isnt straight up on her legs.
lamby and goatie.jpg

Thinking back i think it actually took closer to three weeks for her pasturns to pick up and her leg to straighten out.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you!!

I'm hoping it does straighten on its own. I couldn't find selenium vit e gel in my town. Just an equine selenium powder. And no kelp either.

Tomorrow I can venture to a bigger town with a tsc and a bigger better feed store

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Got the selenium vit e gel from Amazon and gave her some a couple of days ago. She does seem to be getting better. Staying with the herd more and bouncing around some.

Thanks so much for all the advice and help!

There's her moms huge udder. I decided to try the new $$$ machine on her. Her teats aren't too terribly tiny...she milks great it just takes forever. The $$$ machine worked great! Deflated that thing like a balloon. (Still took a bit longer than my other goats). I got a quart that first time.

It amazes me how different the udders look. I expected an amazing udder on one doe and it is tiny but delicious milk. This one surprised me with the amount and size.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm glad things seem to be going well, thats always good news.

What is the new $$$$ machine? i have never heard of such a thing. :pop
Milk machine. I didnt Need to spend that much on this tiny goat hobby/operation but my hands are thanking me. I'm a big baby. Hand milking even just 2 goats was making me whiny and fussy.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's called the new $$$$ machine? i need to look into a milker of some kind. i found one i cna make has a pulsator, regular cups and all for like $150 but i havnt ordered the parts yet cause we are not set up for milking all the does yet.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she is just saying that it was expensive.

I love my milk machine except when I have to dismantle it to THROUGHLY clean it which I don't do as often as I should. I run wash solution through it but not as good as taking it apart and using the brushes.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the actual name of the machine Moody got. But most of them that I've checked out run ~$550 (low end) plus. @frustratedearthmother just got a machine a couple weeks ago and was talking about how much she loved it. I bookmarked the site that she posted when I asked her about it. It looks like something I'd seriously consider buying. Really simple and easy to use as well as clean from their videos.
http://www.simplepulse.net/