Result of accidental inbreeding has arrived

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't remember the actual name of the machine Moody got. But most of them that I've checked out run ~$550 (low end) plus. @frustratedearthmother just got a machine a couple weeks ago and was talking about how much she loved it. I bookmarked the site that she posted when I asked her about it. It looks like something I'd seriously consider buying. Really simple and easy to use as well as clean from their videos.
http://www.simplepulse.net/

Oh the irony....ok that website you linked...the owner has another site where he details how to make that same style milker for $500 with stainless steel belly bucket....least i think thats him...either its him or someone using his plans. This is where i saw him for some reason i was thinking $150...nope its around $500
http://smallholderhollow.com/projects/diy-milking-machine/
I think i mixed up when i was looking at the ez milker prices.
I will say the simplepulse ones looks more finished but i dont think they look as sturdy. I have until next spring atleast to figure out what i want. The crumby thing is our friend has a entire set up for a milking parlor that she hasnt used in 10 yrs and wont let us buy it...or borrow it....or anything lol. She says in case she decides to milk her goats, she has 1 doe and is a goofball cause she dont got time to do it. i dont hold it against her of course but it would be so nice.

Reactions: TAH

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I paid 800.00 for mine used. It is a Caprine Supply System One. I really like it, but then I am currently milking about 15 goats and that should go to 19 pretty soon. Even with that it takes me over 2 hours. :th

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were hand milking 6 last year and it took us about an hour and a half and i never wanna have to do that many by hand again lol

i found out we have 3 companies that will come buy bulk goat milk...so that would be interesting, there is a large diary with roughly 300 diary goats about 2hrs from me so im hoping to go visit them and see what their operation/setup is.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well is Michigan is anything like CA it won't be easy to get licensed but I am never one to tell someone not to try.

koleymom

Just born
Reaction score
I am new here to the forum, but wanted to share my first hand experience. Two years ago my new doe (we had had her, our first dairy goat, for about 6 months) gave birth to twin bucklings. This was my first experience kidding and was nervous because of all the unknowns. One of her boys was born exactly like your little one, with bent front legs and was unable to stand. He was in a very awkward birthing position (front leg wrapped around the back of his neck) and maybe this had something to do with it, not sure.

This was NOT due to inbreeding at all, but was told by my very experienced neighbor and goat owner that this sometimes happens, she has seen it before. It ended up being not a big deal. We splinted his legs and by one month he was walking on his own, and by 2 months you couldn't tell him from his twin! I would take good care of your little one, do all you can to keep her standing correctly and nursing (ours needed assistance for quite a while) . Her legs should straighten out and strengthen. Now our little guy is a strong 2 year old wether and full of spunk.

Good luck! She'll be just fine :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am new here to the forum, but wanted to share my first hand experience. Two years ago my new doe (we had had her, our first dairy goat, for about 6 months) gave birth to twin bucklings. This was my first experience kidding and was nervous because of all the unknowns. One of her boys was born exactly like your little one, with bent front legs and was unable to stand. He was in a very awkward birthing position (front leg wrapped around the back of his neck) and maybe this had something to do with it, not sure.

This was NOT due to inbreeding at all, but was told by my very experienced neighbor and goat owner that this sometimes happens, she has seen it before. It ended up being not a big deal. We splinted his legs and by one month he was walking on his own, and by 2 months you couldn't tell him from his twin! I would take good care of your little one, do all you can to keep her standing correctly and nursing (ours needed assistance for quite a while) . Her legs should straighten out and strengthen. Now our little guy is a strong 2 year old wether and full of spunk.

Good luck! She'll be just fine :)

Welcome to BYH! Lots of great people here.

Most kids that come out with janky legs turn out fine so long as it justs from a funny position in the womb. Little resilient buggers.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @koleymom and welcome to BYH. Always room for another goat owner! :D We have some really great ones on site! If you have some pics of yours that you would share, we are all pic-a-holics :oops: Always fun to see everyone else's animals :) Make yourself at home and look forward to your posts!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't alerted to new posts.

Yes, I mean it was pricey, especially for my hobby farm. $850 I believe and I got it from Perry's milkers. Works beautifully and saves my poor aching hands. I can also use it for the jersey should I ever have her bred. He said I could milk two goats at once with it but I don't understand the logistics of that. I pop open one of the extra inflations instead of milking two goats at once just so I can relieve the suction instead of just yanking a teat out of the inflations I am using. I have the shutoff valve but it is still vacuumed/pressurized to all four inflations unless I do open one and let air in.

This is only my second kidding/milking season with the goats so there is a lot I still have yet to learn. Thanks for the reassurances that things will be fine and that it was likely from her birthing position. She is doing better. Emptying her momma and staying with the herd more often.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't alerted to new posts.

Yes, I mean it was pricey, especially for my hobby farm. $850 I believe and I got it from Perry's milkers. Works beautifully and saves my poor aching hands. I can also use it for the jersey should I ever have her bred. He said I could milk two goats at once with it but I don't understand the logistics of that. I pop open one of the extra inflations instead of milking two goats at once just so I can relieve the suction instead of just yanking a teat out of the inflations I am using. I have the shutoff valve but it is still vacuumed/pressurized to all four inflations unless I do open one and let air in.

This is only my second kidding/milking season with the goats so there is a lot I still have yet to learn. Thanks for the reassurances that things will be fine and that it was likely from her birthing position. She is doing better. Emptying her momma and staying with the herd more often.

Thats awesome im very glad she is doing better :clap

For the milker i think a pic would be needed cause they have many options it seems and very few pictures.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thats awesome im very glad she is doing better :clap

For the milker i think a pic would be needed cause they have many options it seems and very few pictures.

Latest posts