Result of accidental inbreeding has arrived

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bring one goat down from the barn, turn this machine on, and milk her right outside the garage door so if it's raining, I am out of luck and have to go up to the barn and hand milk.

The husband doesn't want me taking over the garage but there are future plans for an addition on the barn with a clean room/milk parlor with *gasp* electricity and nearby water

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bring one goat down from the barn, turn this machine on, and milk her right outside the garage door so if it's raining, I am out of luck and have to go up to the barn and hand milk.

The husband doesn't want me taking over the garage but there are future plans for an addition on the barn with a clean room/milk parlor with *gasp* electricity and nearby water

That will be awesome for you and the goats.

On your setup i believe the little red knob on your pump is the vacuum release, but that is purely a guess....somewhere on or near the pump is usually always a vacuum release then there is no fiddling with extra cups and you can milk two at once but generally far as i know most people dont bother releasing the vacuum like that for cows or goats. For goats ive only ever seen people just tilt the cups to let air in and gently pull them off. i know with the cheaper like mason jar and breast pump set up the cups will pretty much fall off when the doe is empty because the teats go very soft when completely empty and pretty much flat, which im sure you have seen when hand milking.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That will be awesome for you and the goats.

On your setup i believe the little red knob on your pump is the vacuum release, but that is purely a guess....somewhere on or near the pump is usually always a vacuum release then there is no fiddling with extra cups and you can milk two at once but generally far as i know most people dont bother releasing the vacuum like that for cows or goats. For goats ive only ever seen people just tilt the cups to let air in and gently pull them off. i know with the cheaper like mason jar and breast pump set up the cups will pretty much fall off when the doe is empty because the teats go very soft when completely empty and pretty much flat, which im sure you have seen when hand milking.
I think it just shuts off the vacuum but there it is still sealed with the pressure. One would think I could just put my finger into the inflation and break suction but it seems hard on her teat and hard to get off. Using one of the "extras" released the hold and I can just wait to catch them, if that makes sense?

Doing two at once I would not be able to get that seal broken (I worry about damaging her teats) esp since one would definitely finish before the other?

It is my first year with the pump and I am no pro, but I do want to make sure o am not damaging my does in any way....

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it just shuts off the vacuum but there it is still sealed with the pressure. One would think I could just put my finger into the inflation and break suction but it seems hard on her teat and hard to get off. Using one of the "extras" released the hold and I can just wait to catch them, if that makes sense?

Doing two at once I would not be able to get that seal broken (I worry about damaging her teats) esp since one would definitely finish before the other?

It is my first year with the pump and I am no pro, but I do want to make sure o am not damaging my does in any way....

I find it odd there is no vacuum release on the store bought pump o_O
You could add an in- line T near the pump and put a ball valve on it so you would have a release that way. Really just depends if you want to milk two at once i guess. It looks like a nice setup anyhow.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here is how I milk two at a time with my milker. I have one goat that needs my full attention- so I don't milk another one while I'm milking her, but my other 4-5 are good most of the time.

Eta: I stick my finger by the teat to release pressure after I use the valve (on each individual inflation) to stop the suction. Unless one of my bratty goats kicks them off first. I have one of those brats. Tries it every time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 252