Retraining a pony..

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, any tips? I might have landed myself a new gig retraining a pony for show season, and as confident rider as I am, I feel like I might do something wrong! The owner wants her to get rid of her habits (rearing, etc) which I am fine with, but preparing her for show season? I don't really show, so I don't know what is expected. Its a hunter jumper pony and I haven't trained in hunter jumpers for a couple of years now, but I know the basics. The first few weeks or months, she just wants someone to come and lunge her regularly to get her back into shape and moving again. Anyways, please help - this is an oppertunity that I have been looking for but I dont want to mess it up!

WHFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For showing in the hunter/jumper world, the "lookie-loos" are a big thing. The pony needs to not spook at jumps, plastic flowers, pumpkins, different color jumps, warm-up ring, judges box (which apparently hold Godzilla to a horse's point of view), the hustle and bustle of a LOT of strange horses, a busy busy warm-up ring, and of course, the ability to jump or perform on the "flat". Before I show any horse, I haul them to shows and don't show but just let them do the "lookie-loo" thing. At home, I work them over jumps, courses, etc, working on their form and confidence. Look for any schooling shows in your area, they are generally very low key and good experience for you and the horse. Rearing is very dangerous, but quite honestly the only way I know how to retrain a horse not to rear is 1) know how to balance the horse so that it can't go back down once it's up causing it's rear legs to be very weak from the effort (not advisable but one way to do it) or 2) a wiffle bat between the ears. Sounds means, I know, but you just bop them lightly, it makes a noise, they don't like it. Sometimes horses rear because they're in pain. Other times they rear because they're frustrated and don't know what you are asking them to do. The worst kind are the kind who rear because the people who rode them before taught them to rear by getting off as soon as they did. Repeat that a few times and wah lah you have a horse that rears. Sometimes it's as easy as just keeping them moving forward and once they know that you're not going to be phased by them rearing, it just stops. I know I'll think of more things a hunter/jumper needs to know, but right now, that should keep you busy for a little bit. Hope it helps!

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankfully I dont have to go that much into training, shes just out of shape and I THINK she has prior training but the owner doesnt have enough time lately. I will include some of the "spooking" thinks (if and when) I start lunging her just so she gets a feel of some of it. As for rearing, I think if anything, I'll go ahead with the "circle" trick and get her to go around a few times until she gets the point :p

Yes, thank you! That did help! Can you tell me a little bit more about hunter/jumpers in general? I know its all about form an etiquette but how should the rider look like? Should the release be low, high, right in the middle of the neck? Also, what are some ways to teach the pony to get their knees up and tucked?

Also, when it comes to lunging, can I just go around in a circle if I dont have the equipment to follow the horse around (not sure if thats done, I know it is for driving though)?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also, when I did schooling shows, the course looked like this: (2 outside on both sides, 2 inside diagonals)

_____ _____

\
\
\

\
\
\

_____ _____

but when i looked online, they seemed so much more complicated so if I started jumping the pony, Im not sure what kind of course I should build??

WHFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You can lunge the pony ... always use a lunge line, not a round pen IMO as you won't have a round pen at shows so it's essential the pony learn to lunge on a lunge line. You can put cavalettis out at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 on your lunging circle. Having those will teach the pony to keep its gait consistent so that it doesn't have to shorten or lengthen its stride to clear the cavalettis. Teaching the horse to tuck it's legs is basically when the horse knocks its legs on the jumps. I imagine it stings a bit. Its also a natural ability, some horses/ponies just don't have the ability.

As far as the course goes, started shows are basically 2-3' and simple jumps. I don't know what level the pony will be showing at so answering a question on courses is basically impossible to answer. You want to make sure that the pony can jump and rate at least 5 jumps in a row, with turn backs and diagonal changes to a few of those jumps.

If you're in a hunter/jumper show on the "flat" what is being judged is the horses ability to jump, it's basic movement. It should be flowing and reaching to cover a lot of ground effortlessly, in "frame", not as collected as dressage, but still in frame and collected to a point. Just like in western classes, there is walk/trot, walk/trot/canter, etc. These classes are done in a group, generally according to rider or horse age where you follow the direction of the ring judge. Best thing to do would be go to one and just watch. There's also "equitation" classes, that are flat classes where the rider is judged over the horse, as to your seat, hand position, etc.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know I sound so so stupid but I never knew exactly how to measure how far apart to put a grid or figure out how high the jumps I'm jumping are (I dont know why?). Anyways, how can you identify how high a jump it/know how far apart to put jumps (I know its by stride count then you use steps) for a horse AND pony?

As for lunging, I will try what you said for sure. What about how she carries her head? Do you have any pictures or some reference so I can see good carriage vs. bad? I do want to get comfortable with her on the flat before I begin to take her over jumps, and at that, I will probably start off with small grids. Do you think its a good idea if I eventually start to ride her bareback (so I can work on myself as well)?

Ok, so I once saw this video where there was an arena and in the middle was sort of like a 'wall' splitting it in half, but it was four jumps and the rider went over one turned around then went over the other.. I think I might try that to make sure that I can get her used to turning (and both ways at that).

When Im riding her (I dont know if I will show her at all, but nonetheless) should I be riding in a half seat? I know I shouldnt be in two point but I read that just sitting normally isnt that great and/or judged too well either.

Hmm I felt like I had more questions but nothing seems to come in mind! Thanks for the continuous help :D

WHFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There's no reason to ride in a half seat for a hunter/jumper. Two point is only prior to jump, like at take off and quite honestly, if you're not experienced in jumping, you shouldn't do that part of the tune up. The flat work you can do. For frame, think western pleasure, just not slower than molasses. That's probably the only way I can describe it. As far as setting up a course, again, if you're unsure, best to have somebody else do it or teach you how. Not setting it up correctly just spells either you jumping the jump without the horse or puts the horse in a bad situation from take off, both of which you'd probably want to avoid. Tuning up shouldn't be but to your knee, just enough for her to pop over until you and her both know what you're doing, IMO. Riding bareback over a jump requires an absolutely solid seat and the ability to two point and get off her back without stirrups. Unless you can do that, I wouldn't advise bareback jumping.

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am experienced in jumping, thats not the problem. I've been doing it for about 6-7ish years now. I just never got the chance to move up when I moved and had to ride at a new barn which was partially why I stopped riding until I could get a horse.

Anywho, I will probably ask for help when I do in fact need to judge how far I want the jumps to be apart, etc. Thanks for the help!