Rex bunny tattoo help!!

Lewanu-mom16

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So yesterday I recieved three mini Rex does one of which Nina Simon has a tattoo in her left ear. The letters being "SDY" so I'm trying to find a paper trail on her if at all possible to see if she has a pedigree or not? Her previous owner isn't the original owner or breeder so I don't know where exactly she got the girls from but I'm hoping to dig up some info as she herself doesn't even know wat the tattoo has for info either I also planned to show Nina but am concerned since I don't wanna breed her and planned to spay her sometime soon that she might not be allowed to compete in shows bcuz she'll eventually b spayed is this an issue? Can she be spayed and still compete? I really just wanna improve her quality of life and have fun showing her on the side can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance!
Lewanu-mom16
Maine USA

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The tattoo was most likely placed by the breeder for their own record keeping and necessary to show. There isn't any set recording of tattoos other than ARBA registrated bunnies which are in the right ear.
I don't believe you can show a spayed rabbit in ARBA show, maybe a 4H pet class.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
As @promiseacres said, unless a rabbit is registered (in which case, there will be either a number or a registrar's mark in the right ear), the only 'paper trail' is one that is maintained by the people who own the rabbit. A tattoo in the left ear is required to show a rabbit, but it's considered a breeder's mark, and even the breeder may not have records to back it up. If the previous owner doesn't have papers on her, or can't point you to the breeder, I'm afraid you are out of luck. And though you can show a rabbit without a pedigree, altered animals are not shown in ARBA shows.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could contact the previous owner, and ask for the phone or email address of the breeder, but it is not likely that you will be able to track down her pedigree. Tattoos in the left ear are private id used for records and organizations by the breeder. Your rabbit may be purebred, and you can show her, but you cannot get a Grand Champ certificate without a pedigree. If you choose to spay her, she can only be used in 4-H shows, not professional ones(such as ARBA shows).

Latest posts