Rex for meat and fur

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I followed his recipe loosely:

Scott Rea on youtube. The cooking starts at about 8:30.

My loose interpretation:

I used about 3 tbsp butter, he said a "good glug" of olive oil to fry up the rabbit legs. I don't think I used quite enough oil... Once golden remove to a plate, then toss in about 1/2 cup of chopped bacon. Cook until crisp, then just toss in 1 large onion sliced, until softened. He used about 1/2 a cup of sliced mushrooms, I used more because I love mushrooms, toss those in with the onions and cook until mushrooms starting to brown. I used 2 cloves of garlic smashed (he uses 1), some cooking/white wine (again I think i needed a little more than I used). Then toss in a large can (2 small cans) of diced tomatoes. He used 5 sprigs of thyme, I used ~1/4 to 1/2 tsp of dried thyme b/c my thyme plant died shortly after our move, 2 bay leaves, and bring up to a simmer. Then put the legs back in, simmer for ~an hr, check on the legs to see how tender they are, leave them to simmer about an hour more. I think I let mine simmer for an hour and a half approx before people were moaning they were soooo hungry...

I served mine with noodles and a veggie (we had broccoli on hand). Worked out very well. The bacon gave a lovely smokey flavor, and my son said it reminded him of bbq sauce (i don't know why... but ok!)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good.
I have a modern day haasen pfeffer recipe.
Spelling may be off.
I debone all the meat except front legs.
Put some chopped onion in the bottom of a quart jar. Add in the meat in abt 1"cubes. The idea was to kill the wild taste of the hare. Pepper, season salt, garlic powder, or chopped garlic. Approx 1/3 -1/2 c. white vinegar, same amnt of red wine vinegar, and abt 1/8 -1/4 c. worchestershire sauce.
I add more pepper to top and a little more chopped onion. Lid on tight.
I let mine marinade for around 36-40 hours in the fridge. Drain well, then flour or cracker crumb however you would to fry it as normal. It had a salty - sour flavor and a little bit like jerky due to the worchestershire.

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, fellers.
There may already be a location on this forum for a collection of recipes, but if there's not, there should be. I have a recipe that is just great with squirrel. I won't post it until I've tried it with rabbit and found it satisfactory. We just had rabbit yesterday, so it may be a little while.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nice! Rabbit works in most chicken and pork recipes, with some compensations, of course. Rabbits are a very good source of meat. I don't know why so many people are completely opposed to it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because bunnies are SO CUTE!

And my husband says there's not a lot of nutritional value in a rabbit. He used to raise rabbits. I wouldn't know. I won't eat them because, they're SO CUTE!

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Because bunnies are SO CUTE!

And my husband says there's not a lot of nutritional value in a rabbit. He used to raise rabbits. I wouldn't know. I won't eat them because, they're SO CUTE!

I know they're a great source for a lean protein. I'm not sure about other "nutritional" content. I'd think it's rather like chickens... The more treats and extras they get, the more vitamins and minerals they get, and healthier the meat is for consumption. I like feeding mine whatever vegetable scraps we have left over from making dinner (both fowl and rabbit!) The poor chickens and ducks get so upset if we don't give them treats regularly!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm so if we feed them there rabbits fudge and cake, the occasional cookie or two and some ice cream, they should taste pretty danged great!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah I was looking for just that information. Obviously eating a rabbit isn't going to kill you but I wouldn't replace most of my diet with rabbit (I don't think any of you would, probably for other reasons as well!)