Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you @Finnie ( not being nasty ;) ), that the buyers are "confused"..... they are not willing to accept the terms of the sale, they are not paying attention to the details, and are thinking they are entitled to more from the sellers since they, as buyers, are doing the sellers a BIG FAVOR by offering to buy the property. I'm thinking that they feel like oh, we really need this and that to be done if we are to consider buying this property which is nice but not quite what we want... but if you do this and this we will grace you with our approval and bestow our favor on you and give you money for this property.
From what @Ridgetop said , BOTH the real estate agents are pulling their hair out.... God bless them both.

I would never be able to live in a country where they bargain for everything.... I am for some bargaining, but to respect the other person who has put forth a contract or agreement or a price on something that they feel is fair. If I believe that it is a fair price, I will do very little bargaining. I believe in paying a person what they are asking if it is a fair and honest price.... I will not insult them with a low offer or with ridiculous demands. If I am looking at something that belongs to someone, that they are offering for sale, or trade, or whatever; I need to do my homework first to determine what is a fair value... and not to try to undermine what a person wants for their product if they have priced it fairly.

If you want to buy something for less, then make an offer... don't try to put "conditions" on the offer you are countering with.
Hopefully @Ridgetop will get an offer from the other interested people, and it will be decent enough they can get out of the other situation, get it sold and be done.
I heard today that there is talk that they want to make it illegal for a landlord to do anything to someone who has not paid rent, such as the moratorium they put on it with the pandemic.... for 2 years ???? WHAT ???? I only caught a little snippet on the radio... have got to try to find some info.... but if there is something like that.... WHY on God's green earth would anyone want to be a landlord in the future????? HOW would you manage to pay for things if there is no rent coming in for properties that you specifically have to generate income? It is all nuts.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just took 3 wethers to my butcher - later than normal because had to cancel original date and reschedule my butcher date. My butcher said if we weren't long term customers we wouldn't have gotten in for another 4 months. Next time we have ram lambs, I will have to schedule a date 4 months in advance just in case.

Kent also said that he is having people bringing in everything from as far away as 150 miles! He also said that most of the people coming in to have steers and hogs butchered are not raisers but city buyers. Apparently even some people from West LA (near Beverly Hills, Westwood, Santa Monica, etc. - high priced areas) are apparently just driving out of town, and buying steers our of a pasture. They buy 800-900 lb. steers and the rancher delivers them in to Kent. Most of the buyers are liberals! Then they stand there taking selfies with their steers as they are unloaded! LOL :lol:

When they go in the office to tell Kent how to cut their beef, they pull out a sheet of paper they downloaded from the internet of special cuts they want. :caf Kent says Saturdays are a madhouse with these wacky libs wanting all these special cuts. He said that he takes the list from them and tears it up. Then he asks the rancher who has delivered the steers what the weight is. Kent figures the slaughter weight out at .56% of the total weight and tells the customers that that is the hanging weight. THEN he gives them the approximate poundage yield. They are shocked and they say "but that's a huge steer" (800-900 lbs.) and he has to tell them "No that is a small steer."
He says he would get a bigger laugh out of it if they weren't so stupid and time wasting. We were there for 20 minutes - 10 minutes to off load the 3 wethers and 10 minutes to give him the information about my 2 buyers and my cutting instructions. He said these people that are buying animals and bringing them in to be butchered take almost an hour each to deal with in explaining the cuts - not counting the offloading time that the rancher handles - Oh yes! and the selfies! :gig

Told Kent that DS3 had bought a calf to raise for beef. He asked how large and I told him about 500 lbs. Agreed that he was going to be feeding it for over a year before it was large enough to slaughter. We both had a good laugh at that. DS3 pans to feed it on the grass on his 5 acres - that will last about a month or 2. Then comes feeding it on hay - forever. LOL agreed that he needs to grain it probably starting in another couple months in order to keep it growing and putting on muscle. I am wondering if he needs to feed calf or steer starter or if he could cut that more expensive grain with barleycorn. He lives about 40 minutes from a good feed mill that makes its own grain mixtures under its own label. He can go up once a month and buy the starter mix for the calf, switching to other mixes as the calf grows. Kent and I agreed that DS3 would have been better off just buying the finished steer - Kent has a source that finishes out beef to top quality around 1600 lbs. Like I told Kent, DS3 just wanted to do this with his kids to have some fun. He can afford to pay for hay and grain for the pleasure of raising his own steer. DH suggested we do the same thing, and "graze" it on our 6 acres. After I stopped laughing, I asked him what he planned to graze it on since he had just mentioned that he would not have to do any fire clearance this year since the sheep had completely cleared off the entire property! DH said it was just a thought! :lol:

It has been overcast for the past 2 days and the weather forecast said rain on Monday. Probably a light rain - not enough to produce any good forage.

Well, an update on the Yelm sale -

Jerry and the other agent have suggested getting the electrician's estimate of what it would cost to add circuits to the panel and what it would cost to replace the damaged weather head on the house and run new wires to the bunkhouse. DH and I won't pay for this, but said go ahead and get the estimate but we won't pay for the estimate. Washington State charges for anyone to come give an estimate on any work! Our agent said he would pay the $69.00 estimate fee and was able to get the electrician to come out yesterday afternoon. This morning he told me that the electrician had to cancel and can't get out till June. :thNo problems for us since I was not going to pay to run more electrical to the bunkhouse and barn, or update the panel not to mention the permit fees etc. I told DH I would not even split the cost with the buyer since we had lowered the price of the house $20,000 already. The only reason these buyers are asking for new electrical stuff and rewiring the bunkhouse is that they don't want to pay for the work themselves. Those buildings were offered without electrical though so why are they even asking? The price is low to reflect that.

However, Jerry was pretty upbeat since he told me that we have another very interested potential buyer, and a couple of other agents wanting to show the property. This is apparently the time of year when buyers appear. The new buyer's agent(s) wanted to know if we would take a full price offer if they didn't ask for an inspection. I told Jerry that getting an inspection was not a problem for us since we have had 2 inspections and everything passed, but if the buyer didn't want an inspection that was up to him. This buyer wants to use the barns as shop buildings and came out this afternoon to look the place over, triggering the alarm system.

No problem. I told Jerry to try to get an offer from this buyer and we would go with him since the other buyer keeps asking us to give them more costly stuff on the deal. Jerry said he would but there was a small problem with this buyer. He is a cash buyer up to $400,000. BUT the problem is that he apparently has 2 agents and they are fighting over who gets to represent him. Jerry says that would not be our problem, but they need to decide who will write the offer! :gigAs long as somebody writes the offer and it is acceptable, we will take it and be done with this.

Hopefully we will get another offer and can write off those really aggravating buyers.

In the meantime, DS1 has gone up to Reno to visit his college friend. His friend is thwing himself a 40thro birthday party. DS1 took off today in our car since his old car is not very reliable. When we finally move to Texas :fl:love
we will trade it in on a used truck for DS1 since a second truck will be more useful on the ranch.

Tomorrow Angel goes in for her operation. No puppies in her future. Only useful guarding duties and a savings of $1400.00 per year in boarding kennel fees. :D =D After the operation comes the effort of keeping her confined for 2 weeks! DS1 feels that by putting her in the 5' x 12' jug in the barn she will be ok. I certainly hope so but if not, with this overcast weather and rain on Monday and Tuesday, hopefully if we have to lock her in the stock trailer it will be cool enough. Although the vet said to "keep her quiet" and don't let her "run around" :lol: for 2 weeks, I figure 10 days ought to do it. :fl

Gotta go feed sheep.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope the potential new buyer will come up with the paperwork and you can be done and out of it. Told you to tell those other stupid idiots to take a hike and stuff it....

Sorry about Angel not getting to be a breeder... but if you can get another registered pup from that friend down the road, then that is probably best.

DS3 steer is big enough to go on a stocker type ration... doesn't need any starter... Go with the local feed mill, get decent fresh feed.... yes he needs to keep gaining at a somewhat consistent rate.... feed a little grain right along starting now... and then he won't get scours or an acid stomach if/when the grass runs out. If he feeds some hay now, along, then the grass will last longer too. Halter break him to a rope and they can tie him out in the yard if someone is around too.... or..... take 4 or 6 corral panels, they are 10 or 12 ft long...( like they use for catch pens not cattle panels of welded wire) and make a pen and slide it along the grass and move it a couple times a day out on the lawn so the steer can graze that way. like a chicken tractor... he will never have to mow his lawn again either.... like using 4 "gates" wired together to make a square pen....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will tell DS3 to do that. He can get a 16% feed at Templeton Mill. He is planning to feed a little hay along with letting the calf graze the grass. The grass won't last long. Although he has 5 acres, almost half of it is taken up by an arena and horse corrals, the house, several connexes, etc. And is is annual grass during the winter/spring only. We used to feed our animals hay early, then turn out onto grass so they didn't over eat grass when they were not used to it.

With the cost of wood now, when we look for a ranch property in Texas, we will have to make sure to check out the fencing and usable posts. We want to extend the height of any exterior fencing for the guardian dogs so fencing will be a major expense. Originally I had planned to fence the entire exterior of any property we buy 6' high using tall heavy T posts, but now I have decided to only fence the exterior of the sheep pastures. I can leave the hayfields fenced with any existing 3-5 strand wire. The interior sheep pasture fences will be shorter because I want the dogs to be able to travel between the different pastures. I will have to keep the rams away from the ewe pastures and use pipe corral with wire.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we have dispensed with those demanding buyers. They signed a rescission and we were glad to get rid of them. We were about to rescind the contract ourselves. Apparently they expected us to offer to give them $4,000 towards restoring power to the bunkhouse.

Our agent said that he expects the new offer to come in as soon as the new buyer decides which agent he will use. LOL I am not worried - we are better out of it with those other people who I am sure would have been trouble all through escrow and even after!

Angel did not get her "procedure" today after all. Apparently there was a mix up at the vet and they put her on the calendar for Monday instead of today, and forgot to tell me of the change in dates. On the way home we passed Lowes and stopped. DH gassed the car at Costco and I bought some tomatoes, squash, mint, and some hardy flowers - 2 lantana, 2 lavender, and some marigolds. I don't know if they will survive the ground squirrels, but I figure I should try. Tomorrow I will level the extra soil DH put in the beds and plant the tomatoes. I just have to remember where I put my tall tomato cages. I pulled out the dead tomato plants last winter but am not sure where I put all the cages and wire supports. I plan to plant the lantana near the plumbago for a nice contrast with the blue flowers. The marigolds will go in the small bed with the rosemary and the lavender.

There is a long flower bed between the patio and along the house which I would like to remove and concrete. Nothing will grow there and concreting it would allow me to put chairs closer to the house. I have mentioned it repeatedly to DH but he is conveniently deaf. It currently is lined with weed cloth and has wood chips and mulch in it but it takes up a stretch all along the house that is over 2' deep that could be used better if it was concreted. I wonder if I could get some bags of Redimix and do it in 24" squares myself. Probably. I need to get out and get stuff done instead of being lazy and depressed.

DS2 and DDIL2 will be back the end of the month. Hard to believe that the babies are now a month old! Their mamas have reported that they have to put away the "Newborn" size baby clothes. Robert has apparently found that he has a thumb and is sucking it. Annabel is refusing to sleep unless she is being held.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Angel doesn’t have to be registered to have a very fine litter of puppies. With her genetics, you might reconsider spaying her. The most important thing about LGDs is that they do their job. I know you set great store in purebred Anatolians, registered, papered proof of where they came from, high quality dogs. But then you neuter and spay, they aren’t breeding dogs anyway. Even though Angel isn’t registered, she has everything it takes to be a top notch LGD. Just my opinion, for whatever it’s worth, and that might not amount to much. For me, her abilities count for more than a registration piece of paper. You have far more knowledge and expertise in LGDs than I do and I respect your decision. But I just had to throw that out there. Ok I’ll shut up now.

Latest posts