Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score
I use half the bourbon. Full strength is too strong for me!
While beating yolk mixture, slowly add bourbon, 1 shot at a time.
So I guess the recipe is now, add one shot to mixture, then one shot for yourself until all 12 shots of bourbon is used.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't been on for a while. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Some sad news. My wonderful and beloved "mom" has passed on. I am blocking out the sadness by keeping so busy I don't think about it.

I was supposed to go see "mom" the Friday before Thanksgiving but got a call from her son Mitch asking if I would spend Saturday and Sunday nights and days with her. Her skin felt like she was running a fever when I arrived Saturday. That is not a good sign because it means the body is unable to regulate its temperature any more. Have seen it in my mother in law and aunt several days before the end. She was in very weak condition, skin and bones, no strength, and in a lot of pain. Sunday she decided not to get out of bed to sit up in the living room so I sat with her all day in her room. She was up and down all Sunday night and in so much pain that I gave her the highest allowable dose of morphine Sunday night. When the hospice nurse arrived Monday morning he raised the allowable dose to 1.0 ml since the .75 had not done much for her pain.

Mitch had arrived on Monday morning and I brought him and the nurses up to date on her pain level and what had been happening. The nurse said she couldn't get out of bed anymore since he was putting her on Oxy every 4 hours and morphine every 2 hours. Her son, Mitch, and I agreed that she was not going to be happy to be told she had to wear a diaper! Mitch later told me he had to give Ativan in between the morphine doses to help with the pain.

I had found a caregiver company for him, and he had the interview later Monday morning. I left Monday morning to meet DD1 at Hobby Lobby at 10:30 am to shop for her Christmas decorations. I kept checking with Mitch all day because not only did she have a fever, her extremities were beginning to swell. Mitch and I spoke again at 9 pm. The next morning at 9:08 am he texted me that she had just passed away. While I am grieving her loss, I am thankful that she did not linger any longer in pain. She could not get up and down without help, but screamed with pain if you even brushed her skin. I am so thankful that I had those last 2 days with her. I even made her laugh a couple of times. The funeral will be December 17 for family only. Thankfully Marv and I count as family.

Anyway, I have blocked out her death for a while by going on a marathon shopping journey with DD1. First getting her decorations. Then I had to go to her house to help put them up since she said she has no design sense. Late night then home to fix dinner since DH and DS1 are apparently not capable of taking the dinner I left for them and heating it up. A grown man whining that he is hungry and when will I be home to feed him is NOT ATTRACTIVE. Particularly when I am on the top of a ladder hanging up garlands!

Tuesday the news about mom. Then another marathon shopping day with DD1, starting at Ross and ending up at Burlington. Tuesday night at 10 pm I came home and packed the trailer. After my tirade the night before the family wisely ordered pizza! Wednesday I had to go to Costco with DH before we left for Nipomo.

3 hour drive up and i was glad not to have to be on my feet. Beautiful weather, lovely Thanksgiving with family. Friday all the men, grandsons, and DDIL2 went shooting at the range. DD1, DDIL1 and I stayed home and did a puzzle. DGD1 stayed home and had the video games all to herself so she was happy. BTW I will post a fabulous banana cream pudding recipe I got from DDDIL1. Best I ever had.

DD2 and husband caught one ewe lambing on Thanksgiving night and stayed at our house to make sure she was ok. Split twins both healthy. Then DD2 drove up Friday to see the family. Doofus stayed home with his family to scatter his brother's ashes. and I drove home with DD2 Friday night. Wrapped some presents and fell asleep in front of the TV/ Another ewe lambed twin rams Friday but I was asleep and in the am fund that a ewe had stepped on one lamb and killed it. A hole punched in the stomach and the intestines showing. :( DH had put 2 ewes in that pen because the weanlings were in one of the jugs. I think the mother was in the process of giving birth to the second and the other ewe might have stepped on him. However, she still has one lamb, so just a punch to the profit line. I moved the young lambs back to the creep and moved the other ewe (snowflake) to the other pen. Saturday more shopping with DD1. Had to take DGS1 and DGS2 with us to the first store (Kohls) to get dress pants for church. Then dropped them back at our house with instructions that they were to clean out the barn. (They had been very annoying at Kohls! Then more shopping at 2 more stores.

:old Feeling my age by the end since I had to come home and fix dinner every night. Apparently dinner can only be eaten if I get it out of the oven and place it on the table! Not really interested in hearing that from DH. :somad Knee replacement is looking better after so many days on my feet non stop. Put Doofus' name on his stocking. I had bought him one since I couldn't go through the work of sewing another one. His name is Dominic. Showed it to DD1 and she said I should have left out the "O" and substituted a "U"! He will never live down his bad behavior. LOL

Annabel was not a good baby yesterday, refused to take a nap. By the time her mother came, I was finished! Barely able to get dinner in the table and do the dishes. Oh yes, and do 2 more loads of laundry.

This morning Snowflake presented us with twin ewe lambs! Went down and iodined cords, then back up to do more laundry. Annabel arrived and I gave her breakfast. Today she took a nice nap - the talk of duct tape worked - and I went to do my returns at 2 stores as well as more shopping. Only one thing to order on line and I am DONE!!!
:weee
Most of the things are wrapped and sorted. One pile to go under our tree, and a larger pile to go to DD1's house Christmas afternoon. DDIL1's mom is going to Nipomo for Christmas, so we will take everything that did not go up at Thanksgiving to Natalie to take up for us. DD2 had the stuff wrapped and then forgot to bring it when she came up. :idunno OOPS!

All the ewes that were due this month have lambed now - we have a total of 3 ewe lambs and 5 ram lambs - with one ram lamb dying. Nice crop from a young ram. They look good - healthy and lively. Next set of ewes due January or February. Then Lewis has finished marking all the ewes with him and they will be due March and April. In another couple of weeks I will move a couple more ewe lambs in with him. Then change rams. It is working well having lambs every month or so. I don't flood the market at the auction, and my lambs are bringing between $160 and $180 each at 3 months.

Well time to put Annabel down for another nap. I need to look for some stocking stuffer gifts that I wrapped and set aside and have lost! LOL Better go - Annabel is crying for her nap.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your Mom. I'm glad that you were able to spend that time with her, it is to be treasured. Big hugs.

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving with family. The best part-it wasn't at your house! Doofus's brother died? What happened??

That's too bad about the ram lamb, I hate losing one. But you still have a healthy crop of lambs.

Do you not get pizza delivery where you live? Surely your DH's fingers, weak though they may be from slow starvation, can manage to call the nearest pizza place and beg for food! :he Bummer that he and your DS are so helpless that they can't even heat up leftovers! You should warm up some for YOURSELF and eat it in front of them. :tongue Tell them NEXT time, to have it hot and ready to eat when you walk in the door, tired from shopping all day! :lol: :lol: :lol: