Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is possible that my memories of Christmas were merely delirium.

DD2 took baaby to doctor and was told just a cold. Why bother to go? I am already on penicillin for future dental work so . . . .

DS1 said that I look better today. That sweet boy said last week I looked like a corpse. Today he said I look better, not decomposing yet, so must be recovering. :gig DS1 is getting me something to dry up the flow from the sinuses. That will help the sore throat, and cough too. Really need to get better and put way the Christmas decos. This particular cold virus sems to take at least 2-3 weeks to clear up.

7088 lambed yesterday (?) right after I posted her photo. BIG twin rams. Too sick to weigh them but they look like about 9 lbs. Yay! She still looks very large but then these are nice heavy mature ewes. 7041 should lamb soon. Then we can do first vaccinations January 13 and do second vacs on the same day for the previous lambs that arrived in November. Also changed ram crayon so the end of month we will run out the ewes that have not remarked, and change the ram again for breeding the next batch and any that did not mark. This time I will double check to put everyone into the breeding en that needs to go there before we leave for Texas.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you are feeling a little better. Tylenol Sinus Severe and Musinex is good for sinus drainage and colds. Delsym cough syrup stops the dry coughing. I buy the Walmart brand.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the Mucinex type stuff for thinning mucos and getting it to drain and then clears up. I use store brands mostly... Guaifenesin has been around forever... Mucinex came in and made it much more popular... I have seldom taken a cough medicine so am not much help there.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Off the terminal list. Survival optimal. BUT - DH has now come down with it. He is coughing and came to bed at 6pm last night. He always thinks that he can't catch anything. This is what come of cuddling a sick woman. :lol:

He is confined to bed and whining about wanting to watch football. Had to get DS1 to switch the TV to regular stations instead of the special movie and Brit Box ones. Told him to be a good boy and I would bring him some orange juice. Already gave him some stuff for his cough.

Annabel is recovering, but Baby Robert is still coughing and has runny nose. DDIL2 is getting runny nose and cough now too. DS2 was sck while up in snow in Arrowhead working storm watch. Getting better. DS1 has mild case threatening but says ok now.
:fl:fl:fl

DS1 brought in the tree and tree ornament boxes. I am going to take down the tree today and hopefully get some of the other decos down too. Feeling a lot better so need to make hay . . . . etc. etc. DS1 is putting on Small Change movie (Bill Murray) to watch while I pack up the ornaments. The ornaments are all delicate, most handmade, so take hours to remove, wrap in tissue and pack away.

7041 looks close to lambing. Udder is filling and vulva softening. Once she is done, we will just have to vaccinate all. Older ones second series and these first series. When we get back from Texas they will be ready for auction. And another group apraching lambing.

I use a large white board for breeding, but I really need another white board with all the so I can keep track of approaching lambing dates. I use my calendar, but the print is small, and it is easy to overlook upcoming lambing ewes. Need to find wall space to hang another white board! LOL Maybe on front of shelves in closet space? Or hang on back of door. Needs thought. Rotational breeding throughout the year is challenging.

Off to take tree down for another year. This Christmas season really passed quickly! The older I get the faster the year goes by. Seems like only yesterday it was DGS1's first Christmas - now he is 14 and as tall as his mother!

Got to thinking about the pioneers and how whole families would come west to claim land. With 3 DSs, 2 DSILs, 2 DDs and 2 DDILs, not to mention 8 grandchildren, we could have carved out an empire!!! LOL I guess our 45 acres in northeast Texas will have to do. At my age it is a big enough empire with which to deal. :gig

Trailer is in shop for final repair of water damaged siding. As soon as it is back, I will start working on removing the dinette, loading tools and cold weather clothing, etc. Hopefully DH will be up and running (or hobbling) in a week.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why bother with testing? By the time the appointment comes around, the sneaky virus will have left the building, leaving behind only remnants of symptoms that will still be kicking his butt. Then he'll have hours of waiting in line, which I'm sure will make it all worthwhile. Plus the added bonus of absolutely NO TREATMENT. You're on your own anyway, so why bother.

Order this now! I buy the Walmart brand, but since you seem to be in the epicenter of no diagnosis, and people who probably don't even have covid and don't NEED relief as bad as y'all do, they have wiped the shelves clean. You can go look anyway. I keep this on hand, it works and stops the coughing. I had the granddaughters over Christmas holidays and they had just had their Covid shot. I slept between the coughing snot heads and soon was a coughing snothead myself. I gave then the cough syrup and me too. Good stuff.

Order the Carhart overalls, top it off with the Carhart coat. The heavy duck canvas blocks the wind. I am a Texan, used to HOT SCORCHING weather, freak winter storms shiver me to the bone. Heck, ANY winter storm shivers me to the bone! Overdressed? Yeah, but I'm toasty warm! I also have flannel lined blue jeans, thick woolen socks and a sweatshirt my Mom got me in Scotland in the early 1980's that I can only wear one or two days out of the year. But for those couple of days, I'm WARM! :gig:gig The Scotland sweatshirt was made in China. Of course, where else?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today DH called the covid number to find out where the location for the drive through test was. It took him half an hour on hold on the phone to talk to someone and find out the location, then they out him on hold again while they checked to see if they could give him an appointment time.
Is testing in Cal by county same as vaccinations??
Seems pretty messed up. Here the state has a website where you find the closest test or vaccination site and pick your date. No calling ... well there IS a phone number, for people that don't have internet I guess.

I agree with Bay, no real reason to get a test a week after you get Covid unless it isn't resolving. And then if it is bad enough one needs to hit the hospital. Where they will give you a test ;)

Vermont opened up an online "get 2 test kits by mail free" site yesterday. DW wants to have some around for "in case" since you can't find them at stores currently. Supposed to be "live" at 10, no link on the page until 10:30. Got in, put in my zip, got the "you are eligible" page (Vermont addresses only) then "extremely heavy volume try in an hour". Screw that I hit the first page about 6 times before it let me in. There are only 500K tests, 2 per kit and you get 2 kits regardless. That means they will run out and apparently did fairly quickly.

Put in the address ... can't find it?!? Changed "Rd" to "Road" and it found it, then it changed "Road" to "RD" :lol: Someone needs to learn how to do a case insensitive search of their database. In any case, the 2 kits were ordered yesterday and shipped from Amazon today according to my text alert.

DSIL1 is also sick so he is working from home for the rest of the week. He is picking up DGD1 as well so she will not be exposed.
So she won't be exposed to Covid but can get what he has (assuming it isn't Covid) instead???? I'm confused.

Latest posts