Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhh geeze. No wonder you've been gone. All that piled on top of each other. Like a 'when is it ever going to stop'!
Here I was thinking you'd made it out to TX and back for Christmas - slammed with regular life stuff - not the pile of xx*xx you got. So sorry you had to go / are going through it. 2023 is bound to be better. Fences will happen, you'll heal up, new pup on the ground, new sheep to come. I really don't like it when bad things happen to good people.
You'll be in TX soon - and you've already adjusted plans - Big Blue, etc.
BUT HUGE congrats on your new grandson!!
Hang in there,
On another note - the Premier Deck Chair works great. LOL -- I thought about attaching a seatbelt to it somehow - but haven't. Just make sure it's adjusted narrow enough - too wide and they "roll" out kinda'. AND it's damn comfy too!! :lol:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the love and prayers. I couldn't bring myself to write while I was so depressed and trying to figure things out.

Losing Bubba is a great loss. I didn't realize how much I personally relied on him in our working LGD pack for protection. Rika is 10, Bubba was 6, and Angel just turned 4. Hard to believe that they are that old already. Time flies, particularly in the lives of our beloved dogs. Rika is still on top of everything but is slowing down. Angel is putting in double time to cover Bubba's duties as well as her own. She is young and has been well trained by Rika and Bubba. It is not easy on her considering the layout of our steep acreage and having our flock split into several pens which are not close together. Our new puppy (arriving in March) will take some of their time to train as well and will make it harder for them to patrol. Bubba took on a lot of the puppy training duties with Angel. He was smitten with the puppy as soon as she arrived. She could do anything to him and consistently stole his bones. He would just watch her with the proud expression of a new daddy watching his child take its first step! He taught her to fight predators, be watchful, and was a gentle giant with a puppy who would jump up and grab his ears and dangle from them.
Travel gentle pastures until we meet again, Bubba.
:love

IMG_5652 (1).JPG

My beautiful boy on guard - this is my favorite picture of Bubba showing his beautiful head and expression
IMG_0860.jpg

Last picture of Bubba taken on the way to Texas - he was a BIG boy
IMG_6576.JPG Rika - 8 yrs IMG_6574 (1).JPG Angel - 2 yrs
IMG_5673.JPG All 3 Anatolians "guarding" Marv as he takes a break. They are looking out to the sheep and the gully where the danger comes from. Always alert and watchful.
IMG_4347.jpg
L-R Rika, Bubba, puppy Angel (with Bubba's giant bone) Sheep are put up for the night, they can enjoy family time after dinner. After an hour or two they will ask to go out to do their night patrols. At this age (3 mos) Angel goes back to the barn for safety at night.

Well enough of that sentimentality for now. Hard to type with drippy eyes!

As I mentioned yesterday I am feeling much more positive about our Texas ranch move with the idea that we wi not have to buy a new tractor but will take back the Farmall we already own. DS3 has put lot of hours it instsloig his fencing and building his shed barn. He now has his new Kyoti (Kioti?) which he uses all the time and Big Blue is only used for bush hogging. Since he is in California with limited grass growth after the winter rains, he doesn't need it that often. We will take Big Blue back and leave him in the barn so we can do sections of fencing when we go back with equipment loads. I am considering taking our 5th wheel back and leaving it on the property so we can live in it while working on the fencing. Having the trailer on site will save us at least an hour or two in daily commute while working.

Jeremy (yard service) texted that the apricot trees are available for planting and ordering. He will put in 2 apricot trees now, and later put in the 2 figs. He also checks on the trees when doing the yard for the tenants. I have decided to continue having him do the yardwork so the place looks occupied. I am not sure about whether to rent it out again or not. We can't move in until we have at least several acres fenced for the sheep. Then we can use our portable panels to divide off ram, breeding, and lamb pens, etc. By leaving Big Blue in Texas we will be able to continue fencing on each trip. We will also leave some renovating and repair supplies in the sheds as well as some folding chairs and cots if we keep the house empty. I thought inflatable mattresses would do but DH said "NO!" After he suffered through the "earthquake" at Baymule's and fell off the inflatable mattress, he doesn't trust inflatables.
:gig
We have gotten some rain this year. :weeeThe hillsides are already turning green since the rain comes in bits and we have some sunshine in between. Dare I hope we will have forage? Probably not since as soon as it grows the sheep will clean it up. But it gives them something to do, and hopefully the snowpack will be enough in the mountains to bring us out of drought mode. It seems that half of the rain comes overnight and although the days are overcast, gray, and cold, the days are dry. The sheep huddle in their little sardine can A-frame shelter. Next lambs not expected until end of March/mid-April. So let it rain.

I will be taking the larger ram lambs to auction in another week or so. The younger ones will go in February. I have another ewe lamb that seems to be prolapsing. I need her number to check what her parentage is. She will go to the butcher. If she is out of the same ram as the younger ewe with the rectal prolapse, he will go to auction too with the ram lambs.

We had a fellow come out that said he was interested in a small starter flock to graze some land he has in the high desert. He is Muslim and wants to breed lambs for the Muslim holidays and for Jewish sales too. Gave him the information and told him that I could put together a starter flock for him if he wanted. He called a couple days later and said he wanted to buy some ewe lambs BUT his new proposition is he wants us to keep them here, care for them, and he will pay for the feed. :ep What?!
And then he will collect the lambs and sell them to his Muslim and Jewish friends for their holidays. ??? Next he would probably want to slaughter them Halal and Kosher here too!
Our answer - Not "no", but
"NO!"

I told DH about his proposition and of course, genial DH said he guessed that might work - WHAT?! I pointed out the problems:

1. The amount of work that we do with our sheep we don't want to do for anyone else
2. He wouldn't want to pay us enough
3. The risk of vet care or death to someone else's sheep
4. Having to breed, keep track of dates, and lamb out someone else's sheep
5. Hay costs
6. He wouldn't want to pay us enough
7. He would want to bring friends over to see "his flock of sheep"
8. The amount of work that we do with our sheep we don't want to do for anyone else
9. He would want us to breed for specific ethnic holidays for him
9. He wouldn't want to pay us enough
8. All of the above X 100

He also suggested that he would get some fruit trees and we could plant them on our pasture. ??? We are getting rationed for water consumption and would have to fence off the trees from the sheep! And don't forget the problems with ground squirrels! I was astonished at his presumptuous suggestions. Thanks but no thanks.

Told DS1 and 2 and they both laughed at the idea. :gigThen they berated their father for thinking that it might be ok. If he wants to have lambs to sell to his ethnic friends, why not offer to buy lambs from us? And if he has property that he wants grazed off in the Palmdale/Lancaster area he should put his sheep there. Maybe next he will want us to mow that brush and bring it home to feed our sheep. Most people don't know how much work it is to take care of and raise livestock.

We were approached by other people in our 4-H days to let their kids raise animals for the Fair and keep them on our property. My answer was always "NO". They say they will come to feed and clean up after the animals but eventually you and your kids are doing all the work. They are always busy on weekends, it is "too hard" to come before school to feed, and the kids have after school activities they "can't get out of". Finally, you and your kids are stuck feeding and cleaning up for their animals (which was supposed to be such a great 4-H learning experience for them). You will be lucky to get any $$$ for the feed and water, and your kids are complaining at the doubled workload which
they have to fit in before school and around their own after school activities! If they abandon their animals, you can't just take them to the auction because they are not yours. Then they show up the day before Fair wanting you to help them wash and fit the animals and transport them to the Fair. If the animals don't win they blame you for not feeding properly, etc. I am not falling for that, having seen some of my friends go through it out of kindness. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and "No good deed goes unpunished" as they say. :somad

This weekend I will have the boys bring in the Christmas decoration storage boxes and start packing the Christmas stuff away for next year. For some reason this Christmas season seemed to fly by. Once I have the Christmas stuff packed up and removed, I will be able to start gathering and packing up the stuff we will take back to the ranch. I am hoping to have the front compartment of the stock trailer free to take a couple ewe lambs to Baymule. She wants to play with some White Dorpers in her percentage Katahdin program. I will be able to have her do the fecal checks on different bloodlines and get some advance info about Barber Pole resistance in members of my flock. I can also reduce my numbers a bit too. For years I had no ewe lambs born in my Dorset flock. Now I seem to be averaging 70% ewe lambs. This is great for growing my flock, but not so great for my hay bill. Hay has gone up to $30.00/110 lb. bale - about $600.ton for alfalfa. We go through 15 bales a week or about 3 tons a month. Really got to get to that Texas pasture. We bought 1000 bales last year in advance for $25/bale. We are hoping to beat that price a bit by loading the flatbed woth alfalfa in Arizona on our way home. We wanted to buy Texas grass hay, but the state of Texas is quarantined due to Barber Pole and we can't bring any Texas hay into California. (actually you can import it but have to have the fields inspected and guaranteed free of Barber Pole by a state inspector. All the hay has to be store off the ground too. I don't think any Texas hay grower is interested in the cost and work involved there. And I don't don' t want to pay the price it would cost either. We will just pick up a load of alfalfa in Arizona each time we go back and forth with our trailers. Our weather has been dry and warm in the southwest and the alfalfa farmers have continued cutting up to December 1. :fl on the price.

Our first load on the flatbed will be our portable corral panels, horse corral covers, portable sheep fencing panels and gates, as well as the field water tubs and anything we can fit on. I think we still have quite a few cross arms which we will bring as well. These are 4" x 5" x 12' treated posts we got when they moved the DWP training yard years ago. They are sturdy, practically unrottable, and the long ones will be perfect for building additional shelters. Our barn is built of these posts. We also have shorter length crossarm lengths which will be suitable for building H-braces, water tub platforms, and decking if we decide not to pour a concrete patio. The existing patio is tiny and we want a larger covered patio or deck. With a ceiling fan and possibly misters for Texas summers. All in good time. Luckily, we have a covered barn in which to store most of our building materials. We will fence around them in the barn with the portable fencing to keep the cattle from trampling them. The stock trail will transport the ewe lambs for Baymule, boxes of building supplies, tools, buckets of corral camps, rabbit cages (broken for flat pack), rabbit equipment, waterers, etc.
I am making a list, and checking it twice, - Wait! That was Santa. Oh well, works for me.

My NEW problem will be the new puppy. We like to be on site to train our LGDs. She will have to be penned for a month or more at a time without more than daily supervision at feeding times. We prefer s lot more interaction with a puppy and supervised interaction with the flock. We will be home for several months after bringing her home since it will be tax time so we will be able to watch her behavior. However, often DS1 will be with us and not able to supervise the puppy. DDIL2 will be home and DS2 will as well, but they will not have time to do more than feed am and pm with 2 babies under 2.

DGS5 (Robert) at 21 months is having major separation problems with his mommy taking care of Nick. I was worried about this happening and sadly, I was right. Luckily, we are here to take some of the weight off by caring for Nick when he screams or has colic, and DS2 is on baby bonding leave too. DDIL2 is pumping additional milk so Nick takes a bottle, but she has to devote a lot of her time to Robert. He won't take naps in his bed so falls asleep on the sofa, or she lays down with him, but he won't let her out of his sight. Oh well, I tried to warn DS2 and DDIL2 when he was a tiny baby, but Robert was their first grandchild, his parents are in their late 30's, and she had 5 siblings always there to hold Robert and spoil him. I have a feeling that Nick will be a good 2nd child and pretty laid back when the next one comes along. It won't hurt that he can tag along behind Robert and be amused that way. LOL

Anyway, as everyone can see from my lengthy posting I am back and more cheerful.

:weee:celebrate HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!! :celebrate:weee

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
On another note - the Premier Deck Chair works great. LOL -- I thought about attaching a seatbelt to it somehow - but haven't. Just make sure it's adjusted narrow enough - too wide and they "roll" out kinda'. AND it's damn comfy too!! :lol:
Good to know. Between you and @Mike liking it we have decided to order one. DS1 and I have to check our ear tag stock since I want to order any eartags in the free delivery shipment. I like the idea that you can carry it around to different locations which we couldn't do with the squeeze. I am thinking that just another Bungie cord to go over the sheep's neck might do the trick on restraints. Like horses - if they can't get their necks up then they can't get their bodies up. Probably would only need it for the wild ones hopefully. The cut off wheels for the Hoof Boss arrived today. I will order the deck chair and do more trims next week. Some of the ewes don't show any growth, others do. Trimming time coming with the new equipment.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a bungie would do the job but it possibly could. The Deck Chairs for us is alway a two person affair with one person calming and supporting the sheep and the other doing the feet. Most of our adult ewes are on the heavy side so it makes it easier on us and the sheep. They don't fuss much at all once they have been exposed to the chair a few times.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a bungie would do the job but it possibly could. The Deck Chairs for us is alway a two person affair with one person calming and supporting the sheep and the other doing the feet.
Two would definitely make it easier and faster!! When I used mine it was just lil' ol' me. Back the sheep up, tip him/her in - ohhhh the biggies - that was a trick and a half ;) , then settled them with a towel over their eyes. Worked pretty good. I still think a seatbelt would be a good add!! :lol:.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
First -- Hugs -- Bubba, we all understand that - 🫂.
You've got a great plan for the move - rolling with the bumps and adjusting as you go. I'd definitely say take the trailer to TX to live in while you're there esp if the house is rented out.
Oh yeah - 'I'll buy the sheep - you take care of them, I'll sell them to my friends', NO and HELL NO (unless you charge $$$ for boarding and care - but that still takes copious time and energy when you need to spend the time and energy on the move).
Ya' know - I'm just small potatoes down here, and learning the care side as I go - but I might be able add a couple/few sheep. Of course I don't know what my little ram lamb will do - though there are some hopes he will produce well.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SageHill and @Ridgetop need to meet somewhere along the way... and a REAL NICE Dorper ram lamb needs to get a new home and learn to go out to graze with the flock ...a la "OBI" style.... and add some lbs for future lambs.... NOTHING against the ram lamb you have already... but a purebred ram lamb like that will add alot to future lambs for eating in a generation.......and if he is going to the sale for slaughter buyers.....
Just sayin"

Latest posts