Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 transferred all my pix onto the computer. I took a page out of DH's book - I acted all dumb and begged him to help me. Worked well. ;) Wished I had thought of it 50 years ago instead of learning all the stuff I did from DH so he just has me get on with it. LOL

Here is DGD1 with her Mission San Rafael
PXL_20230320_235612718.jpg
PXL_20230320_164143642.jpgPXL_20230320_163920304.jpgPXL_20230320_235743293.jpgPXL_20230320_235356380.jpg.Fields with cows, Indian Tule hut with mom and child, grape vines with pickers, drying hides.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 transferred all my pix onto the computer. I took a page out of DH's book - I acted all dumb and begged him to help me. Worked well. ;) Wished I had thought of it 50 years ago instead of learning all the stuff I did from DH so he just has me get on with it. LOL

Here is DGD1 with her Mission San Rafael
View attachment 97347View attachment 97348View attachment 97349View attachment 97350View attachment 97351.Fields with cows, Indian Tule hut with mom and child, grape vines with pickers, drying hides.
REALLY REALLY NICE !!!!!:thumbsup:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::highfive::highfive::highfive::celebrate:weee

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. It was fun and DGD1 was adamant about doing all the painting (both brush and spray), placement of everything, hot gun gluing, etc. herself. If I suggested something she would tell me that it was wrong and we had to do it her way. Lot of work but lot of fun. by the end we were both pretty burned out. Also she had gotten a bit wild with the glue gun and accidentally burned herself on her chin. How on her chin? :idunno She announced that she was totally OVER glue gunning. After that I held the glue gun and she stuck everything together. If she doesn't get an A+ I il have to have words with the teacher. She also wrote a long report on this particular mission so I expect she will get a good grade. The fun of doing the mission reports is going to see one or another of the missions and learning about them. The missions were the backbone of colonization in California by the Spanish. The indians were "converted" and in some missions were little more than serfs, just like on the large Spanish/Mexican ranchos later. When the Hispanics talk about white colonization, they never mention their own part in subjugating and destroying the native cultures from the Aztecs all the way north through California, Arizona, New Mexico, and into the 4
Corners area. However, the missions are part of California history and lately they have become a subject of controversary. Some factions don't want the children to learn about the missions. Maybe because they prefer to push the theory that only evil white people are colonizers. Completely ignoring the fact that all the ancient Mesa people that disappeared from the southwest were conquered by the incoming indian tribes from the north.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are a coupe of DGD1's favorites - calf nursing in the pasture.

PXL_20230320_164246277.jpg

PXL_20230320_164309865.jpgPXL_20230320_235318661.jpg The little pack of horses were all the same color so she painted some of the horses different colors) The black horse has a thread "rope' around its neck and the last picture shows the "rope" from the indian that is "roping' him from outside the corral. The cattle were in a pasture with a couple grazing horses, but 4 horses were un a separate corral next to the soldiers' quarters so they were ready for the soldiers to catch them and ride off to catch bad guys. She loved making the little vignettes on the model and explaining why they were that way.

Here is the picture of the entre flock of sheep crowded into the tiny shelter in their flooded corral.
PXL_20230322_171253682.jpg

I feel guilty abut leaving them there. Talked to DS1 about making a 2nd shelter for them with the 6 pallets I have and putting corrugated fiberglass panels on top. He said we could also put a tarp over it but not until it stops raining. LOL We will have to do that since we have 5 or 6 youngsters to move out of the creep so we can bring in some of the heavily pregnant sheep in the breeding pen. Apparently, some of the sheep got marked when we were out of town with DS1 last September and DD2 didn't write down the numbers. One is in the barn waiting for her feet to get trimmed and has a ginormous udder. DS1 said we won't trim her until after she lambs. Another one is showing a large udder. Don't want them to lamb in the breeding pen and the lambs drown in the mud. We will open the creep and let the ewes have access to it to lamb. When we get to Texas we can let them lamb in the field and just move them into the jugs afterward. We will have shelters in the fields.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excellent job on the project! DGD1 is on her way to greatness, she has a serious work ethic.

How do I find the browser? And what is browser? :he
Safari on an iPhone, probably Chrome on an Android.
Hopefully those names answered your second question, a browser is what you use to get to this forum ;) I have no idea if there is a Firefox browser for phones but I wouldn't be surprised.

Latest posts