Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually just a lot of grousing on the part of DH and myself. If we decide to sell and get aggro from the children, we will sell anyway. I am not the alpha pack leader of my family for nothing. Business is business as far as I am concerned. It took us a long time of hard work to get where we are. Money may not bring you happiness, but the lack of it sure brings pain and sadness! LOL

Good to know about the blower being good. We bought several string trimmers that took plastic blades as well as string. We kept wearing out the blades and having to buy new so DS2 who was working at the neighbor's sheet metal shop while in college fabricated metal blades for us which worked great. Then when we had to do some clean up in Yelm, the Lowes weed whackers kept clogging and DH finally invested in some commercial Stihl weed whackers. With the sheep nothing gets so heavy that we need the blades anymore and the Stihl heavy duty plastic string works fine. In Texas we will have the tractor and brush hog so should be ok. However, having the Kobalt batteries (we will buy extras) we can get other Kobalt yard tools later.

Here are some pictures of Ozel meeting some of the sheep. Ozel weighs 57 lbs. and is a black masked fawn. She will be a good size when grown. The photo on the right is her with a 7-month-old ewe. In the bottom picture those are adult ewes with her.
PXL_20230518_182509562.jpgPXL_20230518_182447760.jpgPXL_20230518_190332445.jpg The last picture is what Erick says is the perfect picture of an Anatolian guarding her flock! The Anatolian Association magazine is always wanting pix of LGDs working. I told Erick that mine are usually just laying around or sleeping. Any real action happens at night. He said that an Anatolian relaxing by the flock is a picture of correct LGD guarding! LOL I guess I will send in the pictures of my dogs just laying around watching their sheep or sleeping! I really love this last picture of Ozel calmly surveying the flock. Such a pretty girl!
PXL_20230520_161732635.jpg

Just so there is no jealousy among the other two, here are pix of them. Harika - 11 years old this month, healthy and looking very good still - Liver masked dark gold fawn. She is a heavier muscled type of Anatolian, not as tall but heavily muscled - about 115 lbs.
PXL_20230520_152559317.jpg
And Angel at 4 1/2 years old - showing how Anatolians really fill out and become mature between 3 and 4 years of age. She has broadened through the chest and is now a powerful Anatolian bitch weighing about 130 lbs, several inches taller than Harika. She is a shaded mask silver fawn.
PXL_20230520_150329716.jpg
Angel kept her rangy greyhound figure till about age 3Angel (4).jpg.

And the pix would not be complete without darling DH on his tractor mowing the barnyard in Yantis. :love He had a good time.
PXL_20230507_194130911.jpgPXL_20230507_194107099.jpg
Until he caught the power line to the well pump. :hide It hangs low - about 5' above the ground. We will be putting those lines in underground. LOL The winter ryegrass was so high DS1 and I had to stand out in the grass waving our arms so DH could avoid holes and other buried debris while turning the truck/trailer around to unload the tractor. I call the tractor "Big Blue" since compared to our baby Kubota it looks enormous. Of course, sitting on our steep ridgetop it looked even bigger and more dangerous. DH's Kubota is the smallest model they made. He calls it his diesel wheelbarrow. DS3 made a special box for the back of it since with anything heavy in the front loader the Kubota tips forward! LOL However, it will be fine for cleaning out the barn, and doing smaller work in the garden and around the property. And we can attach a garden trailer to it too.

Cody will be baling hay on the property in another week or so - if the rain permits. He said he figures he can get 60 round bales from each cutting on the 40 acres of pasture. He figures 3 cuttings during the year and of course, with the chicken poop fertilizer it should really do well for next year haymaking as well even though he will only be able to cut 30 acres. Most of the heavy growth is winter rye at the moment. He and Levi said that the Bahia hasn't come up yet but will come up soon after cutting. We are putting 80 tons of chicken poop at the rate of 2 tons per acre. It just occurred to me that I have to ask about whether we should lime it next year. Chicken poop is pretty acid. I need to do some soil testing too to find out the trace minerals in the ground.

My vet is coming out next week to do some blood work and selenium testing. She said she would bring me a bottle of Bo-Se and give me the dosages and when to vaccinate. I will be breeding the end of May and need to know if I should give it before exposing the ewes to the ram. I used to give Bo-Se to the dairy goats before breeding so probably ok to do the same way. I really like these young large animal vets I found. I thought at first they were kind of pricey, but they are in line with other vets. I just don't need a vet out often so didn't know what the current prices were. Having just located a good vet for the flock who is willing and eager to work with me and the flock, now I will have to locate another one in Sulphur Springs! I found one that does livestock but if I don't like them, I will call my local Dorper Association director. He lives close to SS so will have someone he uses fairly close. He has always been really approachable for any info I need. I voted for him because he was willing to talk to me for quite a while about some concerns I had about Barber Pole, rotational grazing, etc. The people you want on the Board of Directors of the breed societies are people willing to answer questions from the general membership. Both he and the president of the association are good that way.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH loves riding on his tractor - ON FLAT GROUND! He came in an said he was exhausted from all that mowing. DS1 and I laughed and said he had been sitting all morning on the tractor. But on that uneven ground it was sort of tiring. Gave him some coffee and Blue Bell for desert.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soil testing for trace minerals as well as the normal NPK is a good idea. Liming won't help it counteract next year for the litter as it takes lime 6-12 months to get down into the soil to start to make a difference. Technically it should be limed if needed in the fall so it can work into the soil while there is not alot of grass growth. But anytime is good IF if needs it. You will see the improvement some the following year.
The heat in TX will "cook" the value of the poultry litter pretty quick. Literally... Hope you get some rain right after he gets it put down. Hot hot sun actually "burns it" and you will lose a little nitrogen from it... the biggest benefit is the organic matter.... but you will get alot of weeds from it unless it has been composted first.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually just a lot of grousing on the part of DH and myself. If we decide to sell and get aggro from the children, we will sell anyway. I am not the alpha pack leader of my family for nothing. Business is business as far as I am concerned. It took us a long time of hard work to get where we are. Money may not bring you happiness, but the lack of it sure brings pain and sadness! LOL

Good to know about the blower being good. We bought several string trimmers that took plastic blades as well as string. We kept wearing out the blades and having to buy new so DS2 who was working at the neighbor's sheet metal shop while in college fabricated metal blades for us which worked great. Then when we had to do some clean up in Yelm, the Lowes weed whackers kept clogging and DH finally invested in some commercial Stihl weed whackers. With the sheep nothing gets so heavy that we need the blades anymore and the Stihl heavy duty plastic string works fine. In Texas we will have the tractor and brush hog so should be ok. However, having the Kobalt batteries (we will buy extras) we can get other Kobalt yard tools later.

Here are some pictures of Ozel meeting some of the sheep. Ozel weighs 57 lbs. and is a black masked fawn. She will be a good size when grown. The photo on the right is her with a 7-month-old ewe. In the bottom picture those are adult ewes with her.
View attachment 99031View attachment 99032View attachment 99033 The last picture is what Erick says is the perfect picture of an Anatolian guarding her flock! The Anatolian Association magazine is always wanting pix of LGDs working. I told Erick that mine are usually just laying around or sleeping. Any real action happens at night. He said that an Anatolian relaxing by the flock is a picture of correct LGD guarding! LOL I guess I will send in the pictures of my dogs just laying around watching their sheep or sleeping! I really love this last picture of Ozel calmly surveying the flock. Such a pretty girl!
View attachment 99030
Just so there is no jealousy among the other two, here are pix of them. Harika - 11 years old this month, healthy and looking very good still - Liver masked dark gold fawn. She is a heavier muscled type of Anatolian, not as tall but heavily muscled - about 115 lbs.
View attachment 99036
And Angel at 4 1/2 years old - showing how Anatolians really fill out and become mature between 3 and 4 years of age. She has broadened through the chest and is now a powerful Anatolian bitch weighing about 130 lbs, several inches taller than Harika. She is a shaded mask silver fawn.
View attachment 99037
Angel kept her rangy greyhound figure till about age 3View attachment 99040.

And the pix would not be complete without darling DH on his tractor mowing the barnyard in Yantis. :love He had a good time.
View attachment 99035View attachment 99034
Until he caught the power line to the well pump. :hide It hangs low - about 5' above the ground. We will be putting those lines in underground. LOL The winter ryegrass was so high DS1 and I had to stand out in the grass waving our arms so DH could avoid holes and other buried debris while turning the truck/trailer around to unload the tractor. I call the tractor "Big Blue" since compared to our baby Kubota it looks enormous. Of course, sitting on our steep ridgetop it looked even bigger and more dangerous. DH's Kubota is the smallest model they made. He calls it his diesel wheelbarrow. DS3 made a special box for the back of it since with anything heavy in the front loader the Kubota tips forward! LOL However, it will be fine for cleaning out the barn, and doing smaller work in the garden and around the property. And we can attach a garden trailer to it too.

Cody will be baling hay on the property in another week or so - if the rain permits. He said he figures he can get 60 round bales from each cutting on the 40 acres of pasture. He figures 3 cuttings during the year and of course, with the chicken poop fertilizer it should really do well for next year haymaking as well even though he will only be able to cut 30 acres. Most of the heavy growth is winter rye at the moment. He and Levi said that the Bahia hasn't come up yet but will come up soon after cutting. We are putting 80 tons of chicken poop at the rate of 2 tons per acre. It just occurred to me that I have to ask about whether we should lime it next year. Chicken poop is pretty acid. I need to do some soil testing too to find out the trace minerals in the ground.

My vet is coming out next week to do some blood work and selenium testing. She said she would bring me a bottle of Bo-Se and give me the dosages and when to vaccinate. I will be breeding the end of May and need to know if I should give it before exposing the ewes to the ram. I used to give Bo-Se to the dairy goats before breeding so probably ok to do the same way. I really like these young large animal vets I found. I thought at first they were kind of pricey, but they are in line with other vets. I just don't need a vet out often so didn't know what the current prices were. Having just located a good vet for the flock who is willing and eager to work with me and the flock, now I will have to locate another one in Sulphur Springs! I found one that does livestock but if I don't like them, I will call my local Dorper Association director. He lives close to SS so will have someone he uses fairly close. He has always been really approachable for any info I need. I voted for him because he was willing to talk to me for quite a while about some concerns I had about Barber Pole, rotational grazing, etc. The people you want on the Board of Directors of the breed societies are people willing to answer questions from the general membership. Both he and the president of the association are good that way.
Ozel is beautiful! Ah yeah, pictures of them working. In the national magazine for one of my breeds people will put pics of their dogs herding sheep. 🤣 ah yeah - I’d never let most of them near my sheep let alone herd them. Nothing like the shots of dogs full stride and sheep obviously going as fast as they can. I always say good working pics of the dogs are usually not good action pics and good action pics are usually not good working pics.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to know that most people have LGD/livestock photos like mine. My photos of everything is either turning away from you, fuzzy group pix in the distance, disappearing behind a bush, or with the dogs either licking their privates or sleeping as if dead!

Ozel has created an island of destruction with junk she is finding in the yard. No one will play with her - both Rika is too old to bother with a puppy, while Angel is now bearing most of the guardian burden and seriously NOT interested in playing with an annoying "preteen" puppy. If only Bubba was here he would be her playmate and mentor. Really miss him for both his guardian abilities and for puppy training. He did so much with Angel.

@farmerjan - I need to figure out when is the optimal time to spread chicken litter - maybe in the winter next time? Cody spread some on his fields first week in May. Lots of rain since then. Hope we don't dry out once it is spread. As to lime, I am not sure what lime actually does to the soil unless it is used to counteract the acid effect of manure in the pastures that are being heavily grazed. Cody said that we should not have to fertilize (chicken litter) again for several years after doing it this year. He will be cutting hay instead of grazing cattle on the pasture. Will I need to use litter more frequently on hayfields than on pasture being grazed? Since the cattle/sheep are not depositing their gifts there anymore maybe I need to fertilize more often. And lime if the soil samples call for it. Farming is hard work. The land does nt just take care of itself. On the other hand, if you take care of your land it will take care of you.

I figured out how to enlarge the map f the ranch using the scanner and have printed several copies at 3/32":20' size to mark up with projected fence lines. With the perimeter taken care of, I am now playing with interior fence lines and gates - lots of gates. In fact lots and LOTS of 16' gates all to be hung in corners. I hope I don't run out of corners! LOL

I am also thinking about how to arrange the covered areas in each pasture for feeding bagged supplement in the winter and providing more than just tree shade during heavy rain and hail season. I have a lot of 10-12' creosoted cross arms (4" x 5') to use as frames for the 8'x12' galvanized pipe and corrugated metal corral covers. The covers don't need to be too high - maybe 7', and should slope for rain runoff. I found another 4 12' cross arms where some of the poles for the old pool retaining wall have come down. These cross arms have holes drilled in them for large bolts and we have a bucket of those giant bolts, washers, and nuts in the shed too. Easy to put together a frame with the bolts then mount the corral covers on them. Another way to make the covered shelters un the fields is to take our old horse corral panels, put them together in a 3 sided shape and mount the corral covers on top with clamps. Also an easy way to quickly set shelters up. Then we can use U bolts to attach corrugated fiberglass or metal sides to the corrals for a windbreak. I am also collecting any good pallets we have around here. We don't have too many anymore, but found several and took them to Yantis on the last trip. We have 3 new ones DS2's retaining wall stones were on, but Lowes charged $25 each as deposit so we want our money back. LOL DH wants to load the next corrals, covers, etc. on the flatbed soon to see how much we have for the next trip. He and DS1 want to restring the dog kennel panels first with new chain link fencing. He said it would be easier to lay them on the flatbed to do it instead of crouching or kneeling on the ground. I like the idea since I am the only one of the 3 of us that can actually kneel down anymore. LOL They will do that first EXCEPT I think we took the come-alongs and fence stretcher bar to Yantis! Oy Vey! They loaded those items and didn't mention that they would need them to restring the kennel panels! :rolleyes: Oh well, we might have more stretcher bars etc. somewhere in the lower shed. We also have some good sheets of new 3/4" plywood in the barn that I want t take with us. At $40-60 each they might as well be thrown in the flatbed and go back for building projects. i also will start going through the tool shed and pulling out the other stuff I will need - cabinet knobs, hinges, latches, bi-fold hardware, miscellaneous cabinet building supplies, etc. left from our various renovations. It sounds like something that wouldn't be worth packing for a 3 day trip to TX, but even those small items mount up in price when having to buy them. Cabinet knobs are running anywhere from $3-10 and handles the same. I plan to just remove all the hardware from the cabinets, wash them well, and spray paint them with an oiled bronze finish. Then I will scrub the cabinets with TSP, use an oil base polish on them, and reattach the hardware. Saving myself a couple hundred $$ and getting a completely new look for the cost of a can of spray paint.

I did the same thing at DD1's first place in Virginia on her bright brass dining room fixture. Too early American looking and tarnished as well. She wanted to buy a new one, but I had her dad take the old one down, disassembled everything, sprayed it with an oiled bronze paint, reassembled it and it looked like the one she wanted to buy for $120! When I first got married my grandmother introduced me to the wonders of spray paint. With no money we got garage sale and give away furniture. I painted everything and it looked great. Eventually I learned to refinish good wood furniture and again saved a bundle. Gammy also taught me how to reupholster, and my architect uncle taught me the magic of "cartridge" pleats in draperies. Uses less fabric and easier to sew than standard pinch pleats. DIY is wonderful! I used to buy "How To" books for every new skill I needed but since the advent of U-Tube anyone can learn to do anything!

I also have several almost full gallons of paint from painting the interiors and outside trim in the Shadow Hills house. I'll pack the cans in boxes to avoid spillage and bring them since that will save me about $40/gallon in paint. I plan to change the bottle green trim on the shutters and front door for another color. Not sure what yet but the turquoise on my current front door is pretty and would blend well with the red brick of the house. Also, gray or black might be good additional trim colors. The porch railings and posts are white and I like them, just not the dark bottle green of the shutters. Our house in Shadow Hills has light gray siding, dark gray and white trim, and turquoise front door. Door in the picture doesn't show up as the aqua blue it is, unfortunately.
IMG_0816.jpg

Same thing here with the pix of the Yantis house - the green shows too dark - almost black. It is bottle green. I am changing it - maybe light gray shutters to emphasize the brick color? I like the white porch posts and railings so maybe paint the front door a cheerful deep yellow or just go with the same turquoise door as is on the Shadow Hills house - I have at least half a gallon of that left. LOL And I have plenty of the medium gray and white paint from the SH house as well. Might as well use it up. LOL Waste not, want not!
IMG_0732.jpg

The house also needs a front step into the yard with a path to the driveway, and some colorful flowering shrubbery. But if I am going to put up a 5' wrought iron fence around the front yard for Anatolian Rika, I won't need a path to the front door, everyone will be coming in the kitchen door anyway. That is what they do now so no need to change and be formal! The front door can be used just to access the nice porch which I am considering screening in for evening mosquito-less sitting enjoyment. Not much traffic in the evening and no lights so sort of peaceful out there.

DH has been fussing about having to buy more beds for the Yantis house for company to visit. I told him that DS1 wants his current double bed instead of the king bed. That king bed has twin box springs with a king mattress on top. I told DH that we could separate the twin frames and box springs and get twin blow up mattresses for the time being. That way 2 different people could each have a bed in the spare room. I want to install a double size Murphy bed in our new guest room. They are expensive to buy, and you still have to install them yourself. I am going to look on line for plans to build one. Not as versatile as two twins, but more convenient to fold it up into a cabinet on the wall. I want to keep an exercise bike in the spare room. With the winter weather in Texas, we can keep our new knees limber while watching TV. ;) For some reason I can exercise for a long time while watching TV. LOL

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Growing up DS had a Murphy bed - great thing!! Yup they are expensive to buy - BUT --- you can buy the hardware which isn't much - and make your own. That's what we did. Of course it wasn't like the super fancy ones with shelves or desks on the front, but it was great. Pretty easy project too.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I will look online for the parts and on U Tube for plans.

Shelves or desk on the fold up bed bottom wouldn't work since I'd have to remove everything to pull down and use the bed, but I can attach a fold up/down table on the underside for sewing. I have seen plans for those with and without support legs. If I want artwork when it is folded up like a wall, I can screw the picture frame to the wooden bottom. I can use premade kitchen cabinets to make the fancy surrounding cabinetry like the set ups online.

Stack the 12" deep wall cabinets to make a tall wall unit and leave a space between the bottom 30" tall cabinet with a wooden or tile counter top to use as a bedside table. Since the wall cabinets come stock 30" high, and a standard interior house wall is 96", you can install the first cabinet on a 2x4/2x6 for a toe kick, stack 3 cabinets, and add a piece of pine at the top to attach the crown molding at the top if the stack. Paint it out or stain and finish it and you have a nice custom storage cabinet to hide the side of the closed bed. If you want a "bedside table" put a piece of finish grade wood on the first cabinet as a countertop, then add measure and hang another cabinet or set of open shelves above it for a custom look. If you need hanging storage on either side of the bed, use premade pantry cabinets. They are only 18" wide, but 24" deep which will accommodate a hanging rod. Some have a full-size door, others have several sets of doors. All can be modified with the right tools. When stacking overhead cabinets, use long screws to attach the face frames together as well as attaching the cabinets to the wall studs. You can also purchase premade wardrobe cabinets (like Ikea has).