Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Joined
Mar 13, 2015
Messages
6,650
Reaction score
22,638
Points
693
Location
Shadow Hills, CA
I am not going to whine and snivel anymore about the problems of moving! I am ashamed of myself.
Good idea to get local horse vet for Coggins and bring the horses out first. I will put out hay. They have the ponds to drink from if the water tank runs low.

Talked to Erick about dogs and he had good suggestions about dividing up the dogs. First load of ewes will be those that are not bred, rams, and ewes with older (1 mo) lambs. Angel at the new place with DH and first load of sheep. Josie the Mule is also good protector against coyotes. With DH at property with Josie and Angel, we can bring out another load of ewes. Final load of sheep will be last lambing ewes with lambs, Ozel and Rika.
 

Baymule

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
33,309
Reaction score
99,745
Points
873
Location
East Texas
Whine and snivel? You? Never! Anybody who is facing moving beloved livestock such a distance would certainly be worried about them. Besides, BYH is where we come to complain because it’s about the only place where others understand our worries. And when we air our concerns, sometimes we get darn good suggestions that helps formulate a better plan.

So that’s 3 turnaround trips? What about taking 2 trailers? Can you leave DS1 there and you drive smaller trailer back? Or just leave it there since you’ll need it there anyway and drive truck back. After all, it won’t be hard for a bonafied Ranch Lady in her PRIME.
 

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Joined
Mar 13, 2015
Messages
6,650
Reaction score
22,638
Points
693
Location
Shadow Hills, CA
So that’s 3 turnaround trips? What about taking 2 trailers?
That IS with 2 trailers. After checking on amount of space trailer needed for each ewe with lambs, I am back to contemplating a commercial hauler.

On a happy note, I received calls from 2 people wanting to buy registered ewes. They are friends with a fellow I sold a ram and ewe lamb two years ago. They I told them I would look at the flock and sell them a couple ewes, but the prices would be high because they are bred and due in April or May. I told them that the papers would also have a stud certificate for the lambs. Said I would let them know in a week or two after the rain stopped and I can check the ewes. They said that price would be fine. I will take a look at the ewes and will probably sell a couple that retain more wool since I am breeding for complete shedding. Selling them now will ease transporting. I have bought 5 good new ewes from Wes so the sale price will pay for those ewes.

Rika is responding well to the pills she takes 2x daily. The steroid is due to be reduced to 1x daily in Wednesday. Hopefully she will continue to be pain free. :fl

Starting to box up more documents and files to load into the 5th wheel trailer. We won't unload them from the trailer when we get to Yantis until there is storage. The printer/fax/scanner needs to be boxed up along with the computers. I actually need a new computer since my laptop has a badly cracked screen. I might buy it before leaving here since DS1 will have to transfer all my info onto the new one.
 

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Joined
Mar 13, 2015
Messages
6,650
Reaction score
22,638
Points
693
Location
Shadow Hills, CA
Just finished the list of sheep for the vet when she comes out. Totals are 44 ewes and 4 rams. That total includes the sheep purchased from Wes.

I have gone through and decided that there are 6 bred ewes I can sell. Since the buyers only want one or two each, I will select the ones for sale by the amount of wool they are carrying. I am not sure that Lewis will make the trip to Texas. He has gotten really thin and is weak on one rear legs, as well as limping severely on one front leg. I will either put him down or just leave him here. Although without the LGDs I am worried about coyotes in his condition. I won't know for sure if he was able to settle the 11 ewes he had with him or not. I will run the new ram in with everyone in Texas as a clean-up ram. Any ewes that don't lamb after that will be culled.

After talking about how many trips we need to make to Texas to transport the sheep DH has decided to have them shipped via carrier. The transport cost is a tax deduction. He figures with both trailers and trucks making at least 3 trips it will cost as much or more than the carrier and they will have less room. On the carrier they will have access to water and feed. When transporting livestock the animals can only spend 28 hours in transport before you have to stop and unload for 5 hours to allow them to rest. That law applies to hogs and cattle, not sure if it includes sheep and horses. Anyway, I am getting in touch with Bob May to see how large his trailer is - can it even get up the one lane road to our property on these switchbacks? I can't sleep worrying about the transport of the sheep - I think I will have to take a tranquilizer tonight. :(
 

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
10,300
Reaction score
39,230
Points
748
Location
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
My OPINION ONLY.... if Lewis is in that kind of shape, then do not leave him there to be coyote bait... put him down if he is not going to Texas.,... Not fair to take away his "family" and no support to protect him... Just as I said way back when you were tossing around the situation with Rika... they don't deserve what would seem to them as being abandoned.... even a sheep would be unhappy and in his condition as you have stated, it would be totally unfair to him.... no offense to your family, but they would not take care of him as you would, so he would suffer from that also...
 
Top