Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’re on 120 acres, near a town of 400. Definitely cow country. When we drive to Austin, my husband and I wonder how long til suburbia’s tentacles extend out to impact our home....

Just to clarify, the last 4 paragraphs of my previous reply were not directed at you or anyone else specifically. Just my observations and thoughts on the general state of things in Texas.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our area was anti-sheep not many years ago but in the last 5 or 6 years there are more sheep operations every year. I know of several farms that have added sheep to their cattle setup and two that have converted from cattle to raising sheep. Both of those cases were in a similar situation as I am and they were getting up in years but still wanting to have livestock that they could continue with for quite some time.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I lived in Texas for about a year, way back in my younger years. South of Lubbock in the little town of Post. then in NM for about 4 months, Hobbs, NM. Now sitting in my AC in VT where the heat wave has struck. Just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed reading your journal.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most cattlemen/cattlewomen here are about my age or older, tho I do see more younger folks beginning to get in to it since the 2011 drought but they are in it as a business either full time or to supplement other income and not as a hobby tho some do run cattle because it takes so many of other species to meet the ag exemption regs. You can't put 5 pairs of sheep or goats on 100 ac here and get on ag, but you can with that few heads of cattle.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’re on 120 acres, near a town of 400. Definitely cow country. When we drive to Austin, my husband and I wonder how long til suburbia’s tentacles extend out to impact our home....
Depends on how far you are from suburbia and how unaffordable housing is in suburbia, how "affordable" land is where you are and what road infrastructure exists from there to "the city".

Many years ago a new freeway was built from the LA area to San Bernadino county in So. Cal. Not many people lived out that way (relatively speaking). Whoo hoo, cheaper property and a nearly empty freeway to get to work. Tons of houses built, gridlock on the freeway.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to look into things carefully before making any changes. We are not young anymore, so how much longer our bodies will actually take the physical labor involved has to be seen. But I would rather have a couple sheep and goats and be able to have work with some livestock than none at all.

Years ago 2 of my husband's uncles each had 140 acres dryland farming in Kansas and could raise a family on the income. Those days are long gone. Now, even the "specialty organic" farms need more revenue what 140 acres can bring. Large ranches get broken up for a lot of reasons, death and having to pay off heirs, a couple years of drought or flood, lots of reason cause farming operations to go under. I believe that most farmers/ranchers/dairymen live on the edge like a lot of small businessmen. Any bad choice or misfortune can break them. I really respect the working farmer/rancher/dairyman.

Yes it is sad to see large operations get broken up and I don't like it either. Especially when the "AG properties or horse properties (the latter where I live) get divided into smaller horse properties with mini mansions on them. The required designated horse footage is then filled with a swimming pool and the complaints about flies, noise, and smells start. Soon goodbye horse property. The problem is that there is a lot more taxable revenue from a housing division than from a large AG property. There is also very little support for agricultural business from the elected officials who usually run on values more important to cities where the majority of voters live.

And while I also like living secluded, I value things like electricity, gas, indoor plumbing, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, washing machines and dryers, etc. so living "off the grid" is not for me. But then, I am a woman and cursed by the housework no matter how much the male members of the household think they help me. I also used to grow all our own food for a family of 6, and canned all summer without air conditioning in 110 degree heat. I had to can at night during most of the bad months. We still have 2 large chest freezers for our meat - used to have 3. When we first renovated our house here, we were without a kitchen for 6 months and had to bring in water from either the hose bib outdoors or in the bathtub. We had a big Doughboy pool and the kids would swim instead of taking baths. We had firsthand experience of fetching water from the pump. Our heat went out too for a year and we heated with our fireplace. That is the reason for small rooms in early cabins.

Anyway, got to get off the soapbox and check my DH and DS on their excavations. DS says they think they found one of the broken pipes . . . Uh Oh . . . that sounds like there may be several :th. . . .

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem is that there is a lot more taxable revenue from a housing division than from a large AG property.
Yep. Each "house on a 1/8 acre lot" brings in many thousands of dollars in tax money. Funny how people don't seem to think about where the food comes from. It sure isn't the McMansions.

With enough money you can live a "normal" life "off grid" a lot more easily now that was possible in the past. The biggest hurdle is affordable storage.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nah, it just magically gets made in the part of the grocery store the public doesn't see. They probably have those food generators like on Star Trek.