Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't want anyone to make an uninformed decision...
I spent about 10 years living/working where the star is...close by anyway.

(that star BTW , is within 55 miles of the geographic center of Texas)

We occasionally saw small tornadoes dancing across the scrub land off in the distance from my home up on a bluff, and many spectacular thunderstorms as they approached in and from the next county over.
Taken from Twin Buttes Reservoir Dam near San Angelo:
twinbuttesstorm.jpg

I've seen spectacular views such as this many times.
Irioncounty.jpg

It was a great form of free entertainment, as everyone sat in lawn chairs and watched the weather approach, but we retreated indoors when the sirens sounded.

A few months before we moved there, there was tornadic strength straight line wind that hit San Angelo resulting in loss of dozens of homes, nearly 100 million $ in damage, mostly in a LOT of roofing damage followed immediately by a lot of hail accumulation. (It was initially reported as a true tornado but later the Dyess Air Force Base doppler echo showed it was not)
Hail plugged up street storm drains, roof gutters, broke lots of home and auto glass, collapsed roofs and then when the rain started, flooding occurred because the rain couldn't run off.
These folks are trying to clear the hail out of street drains:
hail.jpg

Within 2 weeks, a big cottage industry of auto glass repair & dent fixers sprung up on virtually every vacant corner, then hordes of roofers materialized out of thin air, followed by a small mobile army of flat tire fixers because of all the roofing nails dropped on the streets when the roofers hauled the old shingles off.

("big cottage industry"...now there's an oxymoron)

Last edited:

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I confine myself to making jelly and jams now. Maybe more canning when I have another garden next year. I do love to make pickles though, and applesauce, and pickled peaches,
I do like making jams as well but I don't do it often. We are not big on using jams and I have not found a recipe that make a small batch of jams. I have made pickles before but only the refrigerated kind. I don't have a pressure canner. I use the hot water bath method, that doesn't work well with pickles.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We made some pickles last summer that we didn't process but it goes against the grain of all of the canning methods. They were the crispiest pickles I have ever had.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Icebox Pickles?

I don't know if that was what they were called but we got the process from Teresa's sister. You just put the pickles in a hot jar and quickly add the boiling pickling liquid to the jar and put on the lid. We did several at a time last year and they all sealed well.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You do have to keep in mind tho, the # of hurricanes that hit Texas each year, compared to the number of tornadoes that happen in the same year in Texas.
But yes, there's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Korillian Death Ray, or an f4 tornado or a Cat 4 hurricane, or a killer asteroid that is about to wipe all life on this miserable little planet and the only way......oh..wait. Got carried away for a bit..
The annual average occurrence of a Texas tropical storm or hurricane per year is 0.8, or 3 per every 4 years
https://www.weather.gov/media/lch/events/txhurricanehistory.pdf

The average # of tornadoes in Texas for any given year is 132.
In the period 1951–2011, nearly 62.7 percent of all Texas tornadoes occurred within the three-month period of April, May, and June, with almost one-third of the total tornadoes occurring in May.

More tornadoes have been recorded in Texas than in any other state, which is partly due to the state's size.

Between 1951 and 2011, 8,007 funnel clouds reached the ground, thus becoming tornadoes. Texas ranks 11th among the 50 states in the density of tornadoes, with an average of 5.7 tornadoes per 10,000 square miles per year during this period.

The greatest outbreak of tornadoes on record in Texas was associated with Hurricane Beulah in September 1967. Within a five-day period, Sept. 19–23, 115 known tornadoes, all in Texas, were spawned by this great hurricane. Sixty-seven occurred on Sept. 20, a Texas record for a single day.

In addition to Hurricane Beulah's 115 tornadoes, there were another 9 tornadoes in September for a total of 124, which is a Texas record for a single month.

The greatest number of tornadoes in Texas in a single year is 232, also in 1967. The second-highest number in a single year is 1995, when 223 tornadoes occurred in Texas.

In 1982, there were 123 tornadoes formed in May, making it the worst outbreak of spring tornadoes in Texas. On average, May has the highest number of tornadoes per month with 39.38. January has the lowest average with 2.33

(In Texas, You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightening than hit by a tornado and better chances of being bitten by a venomous serpent than finding yourself in the middle of a killer tornado....I'm 2 out of 3 so far which all things considered, ain't bad)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @Ridgetop,

I resided in Southern California for a little over a year August 1999 to September 2000. It was a bit amusing to hear folks talk about Texas and how they didn't want to reside in a state with tornadoes and hurricanes. I was amused because in Texas folks often talked about California and how they didn't want to reside in a state with earthquakes, wildfires, and mud slides. I think that it is a case of "better the devil you do know than the devil you don't". Most likely you will be fine should you move to east Texas.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts