Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
These haven't ben used to completely shear wool sheep since the invention of the electric clippers - blessings on the head of that person!
That is the type I used to shear Teddy on Sunday, DD1 and DW took turns with regular scissors on the neck and legs. I have a Premier 1 electric shearer with both regular and camelid combs. But I can't get it to cut more than maybe half a side before it isn't cutting well at all. I think there is just too much dirt in those animals' fiber. They do enjoy rolling around in a dirt pit anytime there is no snow on the ground.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we were loading the wether for @Latestarter :flypig to go to the butcher, we had him at the trailer and I saw him eye balling the open space (about 18 inches) under the gate and just knew he was going to go for it. When he dived down to get under the gate I dived down on top of him so he still got loaded. We (all of us) can do it when we have to. :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 is the clipper expert around here. DS2 runs a close second. I shear but make them put the blades on for me. LOL DS1 is giving me lessons on correctly attaching the blades before I come back there. Not only do you have to adjust the blades at just the right length from the end of the comb, but you have to also adjust the tension at which they move back and forth to cut. We haven't done any shearing in years so have to do some work on the clippers tomorrow. We cleaned the head tonight, and tomorrow will take the air filter out and clean it. I have about 4 or 5 cutter blades that I wrapped in oil soaked paper towels when I got them back from being sharpened. I packed them away without using them, and I unwrapped a couple and the blades look like new. DS1 is going to get a new can of SAE20 oil for the motor (we have some but not much) and I will get some Oster Blade Wash to run the blades and head through. This was a good opportunity to get the clippers out and give them a going over. They have been in their cases in the shed unused for the past 15 years! LOL I will work on the hand shears too - they have developed a little rust on the edges and I will use some Naval jelly and steel wool to clean them up. DS1 sorted out the blades, and has separated out the heavy duty shearing ones and the closer slick shearing ones for sheep from the blades we used with the cattle head for the goats. They have dfferent screw spacing. I will just bring back the Hoeniger clipper, sheep shearing blades, Kool Lube, blade disinfectant (always good to use between sheep and flocks) and blade wash. (Tupping harnesses and hot temp crayons are already packed in trailer.) Getting ready to go! :weee

As long as you have halters it won't take much work to take the strip of wool off the top of their backs. They won't need much more than that. I haven't bothered taking the wool off mine that don't completely shed out since it protects them from sunburn. And gives me a "handle" when necessary! LOL However, they really look so much better when slicked shed or clipped off. This will be fun. And if I start showing some of my White Dorpers, I will have to start show shearing again anyway.

That is the type I used to shear Teddy on Sunday, DD1 and DW took turns with regular scissors on the neck and legs. I have a Premier 1 electric shearer with both regular and camelid combs. But I can't get it to cut more than maybe half a side before it isn't cutting well at all. I think there is just too much dirt in those animals' fiber.

Bruce, maybe you do not have the comb and cutter at the right length or maybe the tension is not right. Also, if your clipper does not have a sheep head, you won't be able to cut well either. The cattle head won't do it. Adjusting the blades and tension can be tricky - I have a hard time although DS1 is excellent at it. Most shearers I know can tell the correct blade adjustment and tension by the sound of their clipper when they start it up. Then they fine tune it before starting to shear. I don't know anything about the Premier clipper, but Premier has always had excellent customer service so I think if you called them they would be able to help you figure out the problem. Washing the lambs before slick shearing for a show helps, but you shouldn't have to wash them for a standard annual shearing with the large blade. You should get at least 6 animals shorn before having to change blades due to dulling - if you start with a set of sharp cutter blades. Not having the blades adjusted properly will cause them to dull faster though. I think you should call Premier and tell them your problem with their shears.

(By the way, the comb and cutter I am talking about is the large one that can take off a finger, teat or other apparatus. If you are using a smaller tooth cutter that may be the problem if the animal's wool is natural in the grease.)

More trailer work - emptying of cabinets, cleaning, and packing tomorrow. I am trying to cut back on the amount of stuff I usually pack, however, the emptiness of the cabinets has me nervous and wanting to fill them. :rolleyes: I keep telling myself that the less weight in the rig the less gas it will take. I hope I can keep myself under control. :fl I get nervous thinking I won't have something I need. However, isn't that what Wal-Mart is for? LOL

DH has been working on the exterior, checking the rig, and repacking all the items he needs - sewer lines, clean water hoses, flushing the water tanks and holding tanks, etc. He already filled the propane tanks and we have our reservations in the Weatherford KOA. It is such a nice park and has a lovely pool. Reserved a spot for DS3 and DIL too. Also bought the birthday gifts for the grandsons. Some water toys for the pool, and books for their trip home. Our plans are to arrive around July 24, and they will be heading home around July 31. After that the fun starts! BBQ with Baymule and Devonviolet, fecal exams and shearing. Life is good! Bringing wine!

The new Connex container arrived today and DH and DS1 marked out where they wanted it dropped DH suggested I go out and help decide where it would go but I refused. If I tried to suggest a different spot they would both tell me to go in the house so why go out in the first place? :idunno They know what they are doing and I had trailer cleaning to do. It is here now and while we are gone DS1 will have to transfer about 50 bales of hay into it from the barn so we can set up the lambing pens in the barn the end of September. My first 3 ewes are due September 6 and 7, but they remarked so I really don't expect lambs until the 22nd. I have an alternate lambing area as well so I'm not worried. The main group to lamb (5) will be in October. The last batch (4) will be in December-January. That is if they have all settled. The first 3 are definitely looking pregnant and a couple of the others are somewhat rotund as well. They are all in good condition and so cute with their little collars and bells. :love Even hardened animal keepers like me can get sentimental about my sweeties. LOL

Working on my lists of things to do. Got Bubba's OFA scheduled. Other stuff under control so far. have to get my Board meeting agendas out for the VP while I am gone. Need to deliver jam Thank yous to outgoing Bridge Club Board members and incoming Board members tomorrow. I like to sweeten up the Board before the year begins and thank them and other volunteers for the work they have done. Ordered pies and will pick up tomorrow for club. I am sure something will go wrong soon. :hide

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you should call Premier and tell them your problem with their shears.
I did after shearing them 2 years ago when the machine was new. Sent it back for them to check out and sharpen the blades. As I said I have the standard comb and the camelid comb, each with their own cutter. They said the machine was fine and sent it back, no shipping charge even so yes good customer service. They did suggest not doing "second cuts" since the short stuff gloms up in the cutter/comb pair. Don't oil too much. Have to use more for alpacas though because they don't have lanolin like sheep. But last year I still had the same trouble. I had ordered the hand shears and they sent those in the case when they sent the shearing unit back. Slower but at least they cut.

These boys are super dirty, they roll in their dirt pit all the time. Once tied to the stand you can run your fingers through the fiber and dirt falls out. So I figure running the cutters through dirt in fiber isn't much different than running a chainsaw into the ground, insta-dull.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, on our way to Durango on last stage of trip to TX and back - unless DH decides to take side trip to Utah or one of his legendary "short cuts" which take us ????
We had a blast with Bay and her DH! Drove down early to fix "bad toupees" on sheep, went to dinner and Miranda Lambert place in Lindale. Devonviolet and her DH took us around the area. A week later we came out with the trailer and met Devonviolet and her DH. Bay fixed terrific Keto Lasagne!!! Got the recipe it was so good. Too hot for BBQ. Had BLUE BELL ice cream for first time with Bay's Blueberry Betty. Wonderful made with oat crust instead of dough crust. Later had watermelon from their garden!

Had a great poop party but had trouble spotting worms in fecals. I thought I was just a deficient worm egg spotter but it turns out that Devonviolet's goats are almost worm free! She has terrific management skills to control parasites in her goats.

I can't wait to try this at home. Need to buy a microscope. Maybe I can sneak my grandson's microscope - his mother never let him open it since their house was tiny. Now they are in the new place I will help unpack and borrow it. Fecal exams would make a great Science Fair exhibit! Before and after worming showing the efficacy of proper parasite control. DGS1 loves science so would probably love helping with this.

Got to get on the road for Durango. More about our trip and probable move to TEXAS! Actually almost definite! Lots to do first though.