Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you think he actually meant that, you need to get a new sarcasm meter. Or maybe I do.

You may very well be right about I having missed his being sarcastic. As I have mentioned before, I have Asperger Syndrome and one of the characteristics of the syndrome is the lack of or a diminished ability to detect subtle cues like sarcasm. But in the briefing where he mentioned taking disinfectant, he also mentioned getting ultraviolet light. The tone of voice appeared to me to be the same, and I don't think President Trump ever said he was being sarcastic about getting ultraviolet light. His tone, as best as I can tell, is uniform through the briefing. You can watch the presentation in this video here and decide for yourself:

Senile Texas Aggie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My DSIL has a touch of Aspergers and can be hard to take at times. He is beyond brilliant smart but can be blunt with no idea of how his words land. On the flip side he is one of the most considerate and kind people I know. When he has one of his moments I have learned to ignore it or if he really gets under my skin I’ll tell him. Sometimes he gets it sometimes he doesn’t. Eh. I just let it go.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gradually getting everything cleaned out and put away after several home projects. DS1 redid the shelves in his room which necessitated packing tons of stuff into boxes and stacking them in the living room. DD2 has moved into her new apartment and that required me to stack any items I found for her in the living room. Our living room is a formal room which we only use on special occasions – think “parlor” of our great grandparent’s era. With the end of school, DFDIL brought hme boxes of her schl supplies which are stacked in the spare room she was using as an office. Then while doing DGD1’s room, again more stuff awaiting application to the walls, etc., has been stacked in there. Not a lot, but multiples piles of STUFF everywhere. DD2’s stuff is gone but it’s place taken by several boxes of canned goods that need to be placed in the 5th wheel as emergency goods. Luckily, the TP is already out there. Next, on the DR table is now a collection of items that must go to the workshop to be put way. Finally, lots of empty boxes that need to be broken down and put SOMEWHERE!

Picture it! We have a 5 BR house, 2 large living spaces, a barn with loft, old milkshed with shelves, workshop with shelves and cupboards, three 8 x 8 Rubbermaid type sheds, and 2 20’ Connexes, and all this stuff is stacked in rooms inside my house!!! AARGH!!!

DS1’s shelves are up now, and he has boxed up some of the stuff he does not want to keep in his room so 2 boxes to go to the Connexes and the rest out of the living room. DD2’s stuff gone too. Need to drag the bags of canned goods to the trailer and shive them inside. Can’t get rid of the stuff for /DGD1’s room until I feel up to going over to put the borders on the wall, etc. DD1 has a pulled muscle in her shoulder so can’t do it even with me talking her through the process. I have to go out to the Connexes to rearrange the stuff on the shelves since we removed a lot of that stuff for DD2 for her apartment Now there are spaces on the shelves that can be utilized to store other stuff.

Normally I would rush to take care of all this BUT I have had a problem with sciatica. Great pain and my back and knees also bothering me. Laying down doesn’t help since the sciatica hurts even more when flat on my back, or on my side or on the other side . . . . You get the picture. I can’t take Hydrocodone at night since it keeps me awake. 3 Ibuprofen seem to cut the pain but don’t last all night. Finally, I starting taking an Ativan along with the Ibruprofen. Success! A full night’s sleep until 5 or 6 am. However, I really don’t want to continue dosing myself with Ativan of which I have a limited number for panic attacks. Finally, the sciatica has sort of calmed down. My knee is feeling better, and I am getting to the work that has piled up.

Another problem for working in the Connexes though – the temperature is in the 100’s! It doesn’t even cool down at night. We are supposed to be getting a cooling trend next week – temps in the high 90’s. Hopefully I can get out and get stuff rearranged and put away. If I can remove some of the boxes of our stuff in the Rubbermaid sheds DDIL can put her stuff there. Unless we have already removed it and they are full of FDIL and DS2’s stuff. Of course, school will be starting from home again so . . . .

The garden is still growing although the crookneck squash is beginning to slow down. For the first time in living memory the zucchini did nothing! They produced ONE ZUCHIINI ALL SEASON! The tomatoes have lots of green tomatoes but none have ripened. The 3 that looked as though they were turning red have disappeared. Our trough gardens have been a big disappointment. DH’s corn is 2-3’ high finally but there will be no tasselling or corn this year The beans have died. I think that we will redo those troughs next year and put electronet all around the garden space. I’m beginning to think that the trough gardens heat up and cook the roots of the plants. We will try winter gardens in them and it=f they are successful, then we will only use them in the winter. All the potted plants that FDIL bought and planted need watering and care and I am not in the mood to do it. I was worried about it when she started bringing them home. Now DH keeps asking if I have taken care of them. I will turn their care over to him. There is a reason I don’t have potted plants anymore.

We need to get hay. We are almost out now and the trailer is still in the shop. DH won’t get just a truck load for some reason. I told DS1 and DH that we will need about 8-10 tons of hay for this winter to keep the sheep. They are arguing with me about it but I don’t want to pay $18/bale when I can pay $12/bale. DH also doesn’t realize that we have kept all the ewe lambs this year and are up to 21 or so head. We will have even more this fall when the ewes start to lamb! I can’t make a profit or break even if they refuse to bring in a winter stock of cheap hay!!!

This sounds like a lot of complaining! I need to stop complaining and just get back n the work wagon and get some stuff done. If necessary, I can hitch the trailer and go get the hay myself. What I can’t do is stack it myself. For some reason they don’t want to stack it on the field with a fence around it and tarps over it. Am I the only person who realizes that paying 50% more for hay during the winter is a BAD thing?
:he

I AM VERY GROUCHY RIGHT NOW – BETTER GO WORK IT OFF!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @Ridgetop,

Gosh! You are having to deal with a lot of things all at once! I hope you can get it sorted out.

One idea about cooling off the connexes: make yourself a patio misting fan. You can buy patio misters and either set them in front of or directly attach them to fans. With the fan helping the water to evaporate and cool the air, maybe it will make the temperatures more tolerable.

Senile Texas Aggie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too much stuff!!! I get it. At least we are not storing our kids stuff, but we have plenty of our own stuff. When we went to visit my sister, (her husband died, she has decided to sell her 5 bedroom 2 story house of 4 acres with swimming pool and 2 metal buildings/shops) so she is downsizing. She offered prized family portraits to my daughter, who was glad to get them. DD casually mentioned that she would store them in the attic. WHAT??? Texas heat would destroy them, baking in the attic. So i brought boxes home. Where the (insert inappropriate word here _________ ) am I going to put them? As of this posting, they are still in the back seat of the truck.

When we got home, the garden was screaming at me and i have been on a garden marathon since. Yesterday my son and I got the windows unloaded from the back of the truck. He bought a house that needs work and has replaced some of the windows and thoughtfully saved the old windows for me. A greenhouse is on my someday list. Hahahaha. I already have a stack of old windows, maybe I have enough now to put one up.

I wish we lived closer, I'd sure pound you with garden produce!