Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So right Finnie!
Finally have some time to sit down and catch up.

So after 3 days in bed in hospital being monitored, DD2 tried to have baby but the cord was firmly around Annabel's neck and kept pulling her back inside. Finally doctor decided to do C-section. By then my poor daughter was exhausted and when they tried to give her the baby she passed out. So Doofus took the baby and sent us a picture. Annabel was born on March 20. 6 lb. 10 ounces. Everyone always wants pix so here they are.
FullSizeR (1).jpg Annabel came out looking very grumpy and remained looking like that for several days! FullSizeR.jpgIMG_2126.jpg My beautiful daughter with her daughter. IMG_2264.jpgAnnabel at 1 week old not grumpy anymore.

Naturally we couldn't visit in the hospital. No photos of Doofus with baby. DD2 has a lot but I did not download them. Any guesses why?

While DD2 was in hospital I made her some girly dribble bibs. When DGS2 was little we would go through about 6 bibs a day and at least one complete change of clothing. He drained like a leaky hose! DS2 was like that too. The bibs are adorable, and very girly with lace as requested by DD2 for her little princess. Oddly enough, DD2 never liked wearing lace or sparkles but is determined to thrust her girls into lace, pink, and sparkles! They will probably grow up complete tomboys when they are old enough to choose.

Also while DD2 spent a week in hospital (before and after C-section) DDIL2 was busy getting the nursery finished. She was due 3 weeks after DD2. She put the wall art up and then decided she needed more clouds and dragons. Ordered them and got them up.
IMG_6454.jpg IMG_6456.jpg Take note of the dragon over the crib - that brown thing in the dragon's claws is a deer. DDIL decided DS2 would get a kick out of it after all. LOL I continued sewing the dribble bibs, and made a dust ruffe for the crib. I also made a knit crib sheet, 2 knit sheets for the side sleeper and a pad for it, then a knit sheet for the Pak N Play. The dust ruffle is not necessary, but enables you to store stuff under the crib without the nursery looking junky. I made them for my cribs and for DD1's crib too. Nice finishing touch with the crib bumpers to match. This time we had bought the crib bumpers in the Kid's Consignment sale. It is polka dots with animals on it. I had some polka dot fabric that looked enough like the bumper to match so used it for the dust ruffle. I used to make appliqued crib quilts which I sold at boutiques. I have 2 quilts left that I never finished quilting - one in green gingham with ducks and the polka dot fabric and one in green gingham with bunnies and a floral fabric. I have enough polka dot fabric left to make a bias binding for the quilt. I will make the quilts up for Robert and Annabel for Christmas. (This will also get them out of my sewing boxes and out of my house - heh heh heh. Working on decluttering the closets too. Luckily making 36 dribble bibs (for both babies) has used up a lot of the flannel I was storing!)

While DD2 was in hospital her siblings all kept up a group text with her joking and giving advice (DD1 and DDIL1 who had both had C sections, and me on nursing). I was kept busy cooking for her and Doofus for when she came home. DH went over to visit DD2 and take her the first batch of food I made for them. 2 spaghetti and meatballs dinners, 2 chicken enchilada meals, 1 gallon Ziploc bag of tomato soup, 1 gallon Ziploc bag of turkey soup, and 1 gallon Ziploc bag of chicken and dumplings.
IMG_2162.jpg DH with his newest grandchild. Can you tell how delighted he is? was too exhausted to go. Just as well, DH was there holding that precious baby for 4 hours! LOL

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I continued sewing and cooking. As soon as I thought I was done and put away the sewing machine other mending projects popped up. First, mending DS1's pants, then sewing the crib dust ruffle, then got the sheep sorted and in with the ram. Next weighed the lambs and sorted out 3 older lambs that needed to join the flock after being weaned. One was not weaned so sent her out too - plenty big enough (all of them 70-80 lbs.) - and kept the ewe in the creep to gain a little condition. 2nd vaccinations for the small lambs in the creep that are not so small anymore -40-50 lbs. Almost ready to wean them too.

4 of the 5 ewes in with the ram for breeding immediately marked. They are due for August lambing. In 2 moths I will sort out another group to breed. 5 Spring yearlings will also need to be bred in May or June. Not enough rain this year for forage so are feeding a bale a day in alfalfa. Luckily it has not been high over this winter. I would lie to buy another ram but don't want to feed any more since I have 4 lovely ewe lambs to add to the flock bringing us to 35+ ewes. Really need the place in Yelm to sell so we can buy or ranch in TX and begin our move.

Anyway, DDIL was having contractions for 2 days, but Braxton-Hicks not true labor. Wednesday she and I went to visit DD2 and Annabel at home. I didn't get to hold Annabel much since Doofus hogged her.
Gave DD2 the first set of dribble bibs which she loved and a box of chocolates for depression. ;) Heard all about the labor and hospital stay and learned that the OB had yelled at DD2 because the nurse gave her an epidural! She said she didn't tell me about it because she was afraid I would come down and give the OB some of Bay's Texas whup ass! A wise child. It did explain why she was crying on the phone when she called me from the hospital. I don't think she had very good OB care. :rant

On Thursday she had a doctor's appointment and had lost her mucous plug so DH drove her to the doctor. The OB/Gyn sent her immediately to the hospital for an emergency C-section since the baby was in a crosswise position and she was leaking placental fluid heavily. His little hand was actually in the cervix, Terrible birth position and no hope of a normal birth. We all tried to get hold of DS1 who was still working 3 hours away in Dan Diego area since her due date was not for another 2 weeks. He was working in the mountains and no signal!!! :ep
DDIL2 was able to call his foreman who drove up to tell him to go home immediately. He called DDIL2 and talked to her OB who said they couldn't wait for him but had to get the baby out immediately. Naturally it took him 5 hours for the 3 hour drive since there was an accident and then Cal Trans work on the freeway. Then baby Robert was born and nursing while he kicked his heels downstairs in the waiting room for an hour before they administered a Covid test, then another half hour while they read it, before he finally got to DDIL2 and Robert. We kept track of everything that was happening on the sibling text thread. They might keep it going since it is a good way to keep in touch with each other.

Luckily, we had worked out a plan. DH stayed with DDIL2 until her mother arrived. Then he left so she could go in with DDIL2. THE HOSPITAL TOLD MARLENE THAT THEY ONLY WOULD DO ONE COVID TEST FOR AN ACCOPANYING PERSON FOR DDIL2 AND THEY HAD GIVEN IT TO DH SO HE COULD GO IN WITH HER!!! DH had arranged that she would go in when she arrived to be with her daughter until DS2 arrived. He made sure that they would be able to give her the Covid test otherwise he would never have left DDIL2 alone. I texted DS2 and DDIL2 about the problem and finally the nurse gave Marlene the test and she was with DDIL2 during the birth. I was ready to go down to the hospital and give someone else some of Bay's Texas whup ass ! :somad However everything turned out fine thanks to the Good Lord!

image000001.jpg S1 and DH IMG_1429.jpg Resized_20210326_125736.jpeg Proud parents of Robert Leon (named after DH's dad and DDIL2's grandfather who passed away last year from Covid) Apparently Robert sleeps with his mouth wide open like his father! LOL

So with 2 grandbabies less than 1 week apart, I continued my meal making and sewing spree at home.

Since DDIL2 had not expected to have the baby for another week or 2 I finished up the nursery, putting stuff away. She had actually had that prelabor energy surge the day before going into the hospital and had done almost everything. Just had to move the side sleeper into their room, and move some stuff out of the nursery. Then DS1 put the rocking chair together for DDIL2 - with many jokes on the group text line about DS2's negligence. I disassembled the car seat and washed that pad along with the crib sheets, and additional baby laundry DDIL2 had not finished before going to the hospital. I also stripped her bed and washed the bedding before replacing it so it would be nice when she comes home. Then came the tricky part reassembling the car seat pads and straps. :oops: Luckily the new carseats do not require the seat belts to be completely removed from the buckles in order to do this, Instead they just hook into a tricky little gadget in the back which makes removing and laundering the covers easier. It did allow for much joking about having to use duct tape to attach the baby into the carseat! :gig. Then once the car seat was totally reassembled DS2 and DDIL2 wanted me to put the cushiony strap protectors on the straps. I thought they velcroed on but NO! I had to remove the straps AGAIN and thread them through the protectors. :rantNot as easy.

DH delivered the car seat to the hospital, delivered the Pak N Play to Marlene, returned some stuff to DD1's house and dropped off some stuff at Good Will. More stuff was moved to the tool shed, including the stroller toddler seat which I bagged first. With the rocking chair box out of the closet there was room for the stroller to fit. That made a big dent in the stuff sitting around.

The sewing machine had again been put away and I was cooking more meals for DD2 - 2 meals of Burgundy meatballs, 1 meal of BBQ chicken, and 1 meal of Spanish rice. This was in between cooking for all of us, babysitting the older 3 grandchildren while DD1 and DSIL went on a "date night". Net I had to reassemble y Fisher Price Rain Forest swing. Since I had completely disassembled it in order to store it back in the original box, this was a job. Next I realized when putting stuff away that I had forgotten to re hem DH's overalls. They had worn through on the bottoms of the hem. I removed the hem and cut off the extra bits and sewed then up. Next I remembered to go get the second pair and do them too. Then I decided to make nursing covers for DD2 and DDIL2 (used in public since a regular cotton swaddle blanket is not good enough these days. I whipped up 2 covers apiece and added ribbons, lace etc. However DD1 came over with the children for their date night and looked at them. She said that the new covers had a stiffened wire in the front to make a half circle so the mom can look down the gaping neckline and see the baby's head. I went into my sewing Notions Box and found the corset stiffeners from my grandmother's old sewing stuff along with hat wire. Yes, I save all that old stuff - it always comes in handy eventually. I redid the necklines on the nursing tops so they had the half circle. Apparently those are the kinds in demand. The good thing is it got rid of more fabric from my closet. The bad part is that I had to make the pattern, then rip out several times when I realized I had out the straps in the wrong places, etc. Finally done with those, I hemmed up the remnants into swaddling blankets. With the sewing done I put the machine away again. WRONG! Forgot that when the branch came down during the last storm onto the pergolas on the patio, it tore the canvas shade cover.

Oh, did I forget to mention the giant branch that crashed down during the last storm? Landed on the pergola, broke DH's birdbath, broke one of the boards in the pergola, and punched a hole through the cover. DS1 and DH cut up the leafy branches that were covering the "lawn" and threw them to the sheep who gobbled them up happily. This was several weeks ago. Yesterday, DS1 armed with the chainsaw and a new chain, along with Miguel and his chain saw sawed up and removed the remaining 15' of huge limb laying on top of the pergola. They discovered that the limb had suffered from some rot in the crotch which obviously weakened. The length - 25' - added to the weight.

Back to the subject, DS1 brought the cover in and put it through the wash machine so I could mend the tear. The tear was not bad at all, It was a square 3 sided tear which fit back together perfectly. However it would be difficult to stitch back together. I would have to apply a patch. Back to the Notions Box. Found some large Iron On denim patches. After putting that patch on and ironing it down, I got some unbleached muslin and folded it into a thick patch which I applied over the iron on patch. Then I stitched through all the layers many times to strengthen the patch. Now it can go up on the pergola after DS1 replaces the broken beam.

With that done I could finally wash the bouncer seat, large Fisher Price swing seat, traveling swing seat, Porta crib sheets and pad which I would need for Easter when the family will be here for dinner. (First I washed the washing machine :lol: with a pack of washer sanitizer since the pergola topper was so dirty.) While that was happening, I emptied and rearranged the hall linen closet to find space for the blankets that I removed from the spare room now the nursery. Then I rearranged the office cabinets to fit in some of the extra nursery over flow. Reassembled the baby equipment, bagged it up to keep it clean till needed, and fit it into the closet.

DS2 and DDIL 2 are coming home today. Everything i ready for baby except the side sleeper whchneeds to be attached to the bed soehow and heght adjusted. DS2 can handle that. Now I just need to take care of more accounting business for our taxes, update my sheep records, plan out breedings, clear out the living room and dining room, find a spot to put all of the remaining stuff, vacuum the family room, sweep the entire house dust and clean, etc. am malig Stouffers Lasagna tonight since it is easy and I am exhausted.

I need a vacation!

:old

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new grand babies and thankful that all went well with both, considering.
You are right, you need a vacation....

You have been busy. I sure hope that one day the "kids" will look back and appreciate things because they aren't learning to do the things that you are doing for them. All the sewing and such.... I just don't understand that the kids nowadays just don't have any clue how to do so much that we grew up learning to do as young teens.... and they don't want to learn as they get older either to become more independent or capable of doing stuff.
I see it with DS 's GF and her sister that I just did the hemming on the coveralls for the car racing... taking up the sleeves to be more comfortable, and hemming up the pants legs.... It is beyond me to know that there are more that "CAN'T" than those that "CAN".....
And I am by no means a "professional" seamstress.... but to just do simple hand sewing either.... so many can't even sew on a button...

Again, congrats to all the family members....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks!
DS2 and DDIL got home with the baby. He is so tiny. At 6 lbs. 14 ounces he is smaller even that DD1 at 7 lbs. 2 ounces. His father was 8 lbs. plus and his uncles were well over 9 lbs. He is long for that weight - 20". I got to hold him for a while then passed him off to Grandpa who was chafing at the bit.

I had found y old rocking chair in the Connex 2 days ago. Today DS1 and DS2 brought it in for me to clean. the cushion covers are in the wash, and the chair will go in the family room so DDIL2 can sit out there with him. Our sofa and recliners are too deep for a woman with stitches.

That is so true. My DD1 took sewing in 4-H but her husband does their mending! He is frugal and patches the kids clothes. With so much coming from China, India, and Malaysia it is cheaper to replace a lot of the clothing than it is to repair it. Our younger boys also took sewing and cooking, and our middle boy used what he learned in the military sewing in his insignias.

Uh oh! Trouble just arrived in the shape of the 3 older grandchildren coming to see their new cousin. Gotta go.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the two new grand babies. They are of course, gorgeous and sweet. Love babies! Dunno WHY they have to turn into teenagers! LOL

You have been a whirlwind of activity. Make that a tornado of activity. Have you slept at all? Stopped to eat, drink, go potty, breathe, anything besides sew, cook, clean and prepare for babies? And it's not over now, it's just getting started.

No pictures of Doofus huh? We know about that picture of him that you had enlarged and use for a dart board on the back of your closet door......... :lol:

Glad that you didn't have to open up a six back of Texas Whup A$$ on anybody. With all that you had going on, the frustration level must have been in the stratosphere and venting all that on one person would have made the 5 O'Clock news.

Have a Happy Easter and enjoy your family.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is why my daughter didn't tell me about it till she got home.

Baby Robert cried all night long after too much stimulation when he came home. DD1 and her 3 kids came over around 3:00 pm and were here till 11:00 pm. Naturally they stayed for dinner. Lucky I put in a large Stouffers lasagna which could be cut into 9 good sized portions. Made a large salad and at the last minute did some rolls too since so many people. DS1 almost in tears since no second helpings available. As soon as dinner was finished and the dishes in the dishwasher, DSIL arrived to see baby. Hadn't eaten. Luckily I had a good sized portion of spaghetti in the fridge that I heated up for him. No roll, but he got the rest of the salad. At 10:00 pm he left taking DGD1 home to bed.

After we ate. DD1 wanted to discuss where to have Easter dinner. I made the mistake of mentioning that we had enough baby gear at our house for 2 infants and it might be easier on DDIL not to leave. DD1 and DS1 started a discussion of what food to have - ham. But DD1 said they should have 2 meats since there are so many of us and DS3 and his family of 4 might come down. DH volunteered prime rib - I was too far away to slap him upside the head. He has no idea of what prime rib costs. I kept saying that I had a whole leg of lamb in the freezer but as usual these days, I was ignored. Not surprising on DS1's part since lamb in not special in this house. After telling me she needed to discuss Easter with me several times, DD1 rushed off to play with the baby again. I went to my room to lay down since I was exhausted and my back hurt. Then I sent out a group text asking where everyone wanted to have dinner. Both new moms voted on our house since - you guessed it! - we have plenty of baby gear and no one had to schlep anything along with them. Then I said I would make a leg of lamb with gravy and baked potatoes, purchased cheesecake and tiramisu (both in my freezer). I assigned frozen peas to DD1, rolls to DD2 who is still healing from her C section, pepper poppers to DS2 ( he makes these anyway for all family gatherings so might as well) and wine to DS3 and family if they come. I have plenty of wine so if they don't come no problem. Then I turned on my TV program and relaxed, thinking I had everything taken care of.

As DD1 was leaving, she came in and said she wanted to discuss Easter but I had left. She seemed to think that i should have sat and waited for her to come in a couple hours and discuss this at her convenience! She was upset because I had set out the menu - no ham! I told her I was exhausted and wanted an easy holiday. She tried to play the guilt card by saying DGD1 wanted to set the table with her grandmother, I was pretty tired and annoyed that I had to pause my show to listen to this. I told her to go ahead and plan it at her house. She said she wanted to discuss it with me. I pointed out we were discussing it. She said she wanted to discuss it an hour previously in the kitchen. ??? I told her that my back hurt and I had to lay down and we could discuss it now. She stormed out of the room. I turned the TV back on.

Enter stage left - DS1 asking why no ham for Easter. He was joined by DD1 who returned, emboldened by backup. I told her she could have it at her house and I would notify everyone. NO! She did not want to have it at her house because she would have to clean the house and set her table, etc. It would be easier to have it at MY house (so I could do all that work!). They wanted ham and another meat. DD1 said she was really hungry for prime rib. I pointed out the cost of prime rib and said I would not pay for it. DS1 said he did not see why we could not have 2 hams. DD1 said DSIL would make asparagus. DS1 said Ugh he hated asparagus. DD1 said DS2 had asked for it. Then they agreed that they would have corn pudding and green bean casserole (traditional). I suggested that we just have corn pudding for DS1 and DS2 could have the asparagus and we do without the third vegetable. I was shouted down.

I really need to remember to lock my bedroom door.

After much loud discussion over my recumbent body the entire menu was changed. We are having either 2 hams or ham and lamb, 3 vegetable dishes, rolls, potatoes au gratin instead of baked potatoes. Both ovens and the turkey roaster will be used. I have to make a ham glaze and gravy for the lamb. DD2 and Doofus will bring desert. DS2 and DDIL will supply drinks. And instead of a relaxing Easter with minimal work and fuss, DD1 and DSIL will be making all the vegetable side dishes at my house in my kitchen using my utensils and bowls which I get to load into my dishwasher for the 2 hour "energy saving" cycle which means that I will have to unload and put away all the dishes before we can load it again with the dinner dishes. Since they won't all fit with the cooking utensils, I will have to do a third load before gong to bed that night. I have been assigned to set the table with DGD1 who wants to "help". DD1 said her roses are blooming and I can come over and get them. I told her to cut them herself and bring them to me with DGD1. If she wanted to order everything around herself, why "discuss it" with me?
:barnie

A soon as dinner is over I am going to my room to "lie down". I am taking a bottle of wine. This time I will lock the door.

This morning DS1 and DH left for San Diego to bring a bunch of DS1's stuff home. He received his notice to relocate to Moorpark which is closer so he will be back living at home. Cooking for 5 adults again. DS1 woke me up to tell me that the baby had cried all night and I was to watch him today so DDIL2 could get some sleep since she was up all night with him. :thCan anyone say "over stimulation" on his first day home? I warn these kids but they ever listen, Are they frozen in teenage mode? Eventually they say "you warned e Mom" but do they listen in time? I just hope I am never in a life or death situation with them. We'll all be dead because you now that a good mom never saves just herself. I wonder what it would be like to be a bad mom? ;)

Today I have to make chicken enchiladas in bulk. Bought all the ingredients already so can't put it off or the chickens will turn.

I want to go to Texas. Without most of my children. This may be why many women drink. Heavily.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
We kept track of everything that was happening on the sibling text thread. They might keep it going since it is a good way to keep in touch with each other.
That’s what we did when my second grandchild was being born. There are 11 people in it. He is 3 now, and it is still going, and two more grandchildren have been born since then. We get lots of baby photos this way, plus share jokes and other information with each other. It’s really wonderful.

I hope your family appreciates all you do. 😍

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Of course there will be an Easter egg hunt - with plastic eggs. Bubba does not need to find and eat real ones. Or even worse, NOT find and eat real ones until they are very very nasty!

Taught DD2 how to use her Instapot today. Delivered the last batch of premade meals to her as well. Annabel is 10 days old today. DS2 went with me to see his newest niece. She is starting to look more like her mother Thank God! DD2 is a lovely girl.
DS2 brought home a truck load of stuff including a lot of food. I told him to store the canned stuff in the trailer and put the dry stuff inside. On the way home from seeing DGD2 DS2 went grocery shopping. Apparently he is on a diet. DDIL2 only gained 10 lbs. with this pregnancy but he gained all the sympathy weight. LOL Tomorrow I really need to get both boys out to help me rearrange boxes in the Connexes. Most of the shelves in the middle of the Connexes are empty! We need to go through the boxes and remove anything that can go to Salvation Army, then rearrange everything back on the shelves so there are no empty spaces. I might even be able to get some of the shelves out to put in the Rubbermaid shed in the driveway. Then I can put my suitcases up on those shelves and the shed will be less crowded. I hop to get this done while DS2 is home since both sons can help me empty the Connexes, then rearrange the contents.

I have decided to go through my linen closet in the next few weeks and remove all my linen tablecloths and napkins and sort them out. If any of the children want them, they can have them since I am getting too old to deal with ironing linens for holiday tables. Actually I am not that old, just have too many linen tablecloths in varying sizes. Don't need all of them so will give most to my children, keeping only a few for large family dinners.

Now that I think about it, I need to go through all my cupboards and closets and rearrange them. I already did the office and nursery so that just leaves the bathroom cabinets, hall closet, 2 huge hall cabinets, and laundry room cabinets and shelves. Not to mention all the kitchen cabinets although those are pretty well arranged right now. I do have other cabinets that are doubling as pantry storage though.

Yesterday I redid my flock information onto index cards with color coding so I don't put the young ewes with their fathers. I also made 2 sets of month dividers - one for breeding and one set for lambing dates. Once the ewes are bred and removed from the ram I put their cards into the month divider that they will be due to lamb. Ewes that have already lambed are divided into creep dividers and weaning/field dividers. Hopefully this will make it easier for me to pull the ewes that are due to be bred and assign a ram to them. Also keep track of which ewes are due in each month. Still working out the kinks since I breed several times a year.

Today I lowered the price on the Yelm property since more properties are coming on the market now that the Yelm water problem has been sorted out. I resent that Remax did such a bad job advertising the property when it was first put on the market in October. They really screwed us over since at that time there were few properties on the market. However, I discussed the property with our new realtor and he did some more comparisons. The comparisons showed us to be the highest priced property of this type and size at this time so we decided to lower the price. I really want to dispose of the property. :fl

Got to catch up on reading everyone's threads.