Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made 44 fat chicken enchiladas yesterday and froze them on trays. This morning I bagged them. Doing it this way is better since I just remove the frozen enchiladas (I use the extra large flour tortillas and make them burrito style) put them in the pan and make the sauce when I put them in the oven.

Our two freezers are totally FULL! Lucky we did not take the lambs to the butcher. DDIL2 wants one for her family. I asked her mother if she wanted the innards and DDIL said "Of course" at the same time as her mom said "No"! LOL They are Filipino and make some sort of special soup or stew with the intestines. Marlene said that Jun (her husband) gets gout and can't eat it any more. She also said she was through cleaning intestines - too much work! LOL They will take the heart and liver though. One lamb will go to the neighbor and we will keep the 3rd. By the time they are butchered the end of April and we pick them up I will have cooked 2 hams and the whole leg of lamb (for DH's birthday on 4/10) so will have some room in the freezer. We can't buy any more meat for another 2 months! And no more prepared food either!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:jumpy:bunny:jumpy:bunny:jumpy:bunnyHAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!:jumpy:bunny:jumpy:bunny:jumpy:bunny
:love

DS2 got home from San Diego with a truckload of stuff from their apartment. He also gave a 30 day notice. He found out that he will be working in Moorpark which is 30 -40 minutes away so will be staying here with DDIL2 and little DGS5. Luckily he has a great nursery. LOL

DDIL's mother has been coming over and bringing her special Filipino soup for DDIL2. DS2 is on a diet so is making his own meals. Too many cooks in the kitchen and too much clutter on the counters. DS2 bought himself a rice cooker and it was on the counter so I rearranged the cabinet and put t away. He was angry because he had made rice in it last night and the rice was still in the cooker! ??? I told him he should cook the rice and then put it in a smaller container in the fridge, No, he wants to cook small amounts every meal and leave the giant rice cooker on the counter! I am not sure how I will make Easter dinner. This is the same son that will be using the counters tomorrow to make his "pepper poppers". I plan to get the leg of lamb and ham prepped by tomorrow so they will just go into the roaster and oven and I will not need to be in the kitchen while DD1 is prepping her casseroles. She and DS2 will have to fight for the counter space. Mama will be laying down in her room with a glass of wine, a book, and a locked door. :)
DS1 brought in several boxes of food for me to find space for in the cupboards and freezers!!! :barnie
I spent yesterday cleaning out al the pantry cupboards and food storage areas in the kitchen, laundry room, and hallway. Then I moved on to the freezers. One of them had a lot of frost built up so I removed the frost in order to get the baskets out. Then I removed the baskets to see what was in the bins underneath. After completely rearranging all the food in the 2 freezers, I was able to fit in DS2's frozen food. D1 and I located 1 ham. I hoped there might be 2, but DS1 said just to make the whole leg of lamb as well which gave us more space when I removed it today. Last night DD1 showed up with her children. She had gone to the grocery and carried in a large box of food she will prepare on Easter Sunday in my kitchen. Also several casserole dishes in which to prepare it.

After I thought I was finished with all the grocery rearrangement, cabinet cleaning, etc. I found that DS2 had placed a large box of assorted spices thoughtfully on the kitchen counter. So I spent another few hours emptying all his spices into mine. DS2's truck with all the other boxes of their belongings is still sitting in the driveway waiting to be unloaded and put away in their storage shed. DS1 complained to me that he needs to take the trash down tomorrow and the truck is blocking him. I told him that if it was still in his way tomorrow to pull it out onto the field and leave it there for DS2 to deal with.

Got a call today that we have an offer on the Yelm property. It is an FHA offer which our agent Jerry doesn't like. They are offering $5,000 higher but want us pay $5,000 of their closing costs. We don't like that since it means we pay commission on the $5,000 in closing costs in addition to paying the costs. FHA sales often demand that you do a lot of repair work to the property and their appraisals are notorious for coming in lower. I told Jerry we won't lower the price any more no matter what the appraisal comes in at. We have done all the repairs and clean up we are going to do. The FHA offer also stated that they are doing some sort of WA State Bond too. We looked it up and it looks like the WWA State bond is another company guaranteeing the loan. Also what we read it seems like we would be adding a 3rd person to the contract in the person of the bond issuer. Sounds complicated and we don't like complicated. Not sure so have asked Jerry to clarify. There offer is only good for today - another rush that I don't like since it usually means they want to scare you into accepting something that you won't like later. We'll see what Jerry says. He is not pushing us to accept this offer.

Today and tomorrow 2 more agents are showing the property. Jerry said that they got 35 hits on the property when the ad came out at the higher price and 145 hits when it came out at the lowered price. He thinks we will get more offers. Hopefully we can sell soon. :fl

I decided not to clean the entire house since with DS2 moving his stuff in and out it is impossible. Instead we will clean off the patio and put out the cushions. The temperatures have been in the high 80's so no problem with the weather.

Got to go make the ham glaze and put the fish into the oven for dinner.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK! Got out the leg of lamb (whole one) and the ham yesterday which has given me some more space in the freezers. Tonight we will have fish sticks (found in freezer) and salad since I don't cook a full meal on holiday eves. Then I cleaned the fridges out and rearranged everything so the ham and leg of lamb can fit in them. Don't want to poison the entire family with E. Coli! LOL

DS1 got the roaster down and unpacked for tomorrow, I emptied and washed out the coolers to put the drinks in on patio with ice. They are currently chilling in fridges. DS1 has run an errand and will pick up ice for the coolers while he is out. Wanted to go to church tomorrow but will watch on tv with 2 newborns for Easter.

DS3 and family are coming tomorrow for Easter. We will have dinner early so they can drive back up to Nipomo (3 hour drive). First time all family is together since DS2' wedding. Grandchildren will eat outside on patio table and we will lock up the dogs. I will set up my porta crib in office for Anabel and bring up the battery operated swing that the car seat fits into for her as well. DS1 said he will put the new trampoline together today with DH so they have stuff to do while we all visit. We will set up the patio with the cushions on furniture. He cleaned it yesterday. Might even put the Little Tykes roller coaster together for the 3 year old. She will just follow the others anyway. First holiday with all 8 grandchildren (step granddaughter must be included in this number :love).

It will Ridgetop style - wild and loud! :D:weee:celebrate:clap

Got an offer on Yelm and countered this morning. Just a few items to clear up so hopefully they will accept and we can start on their inspections, etc. :fl Lowered the price so getting a little less than we hoped, but got an offer at full price right away. At least if it goes through we can move on to finding a place in TX. Whether we ever get moved there or not, having an operating ranch will enable us to combine our ranch expenses here with those on the ranch in TX for taxes.

We will sell our hay crop until we can move there with our flock. This will enable us to cull more aggressively but not to the point that we have to sell all our good ewe lambs. I want to keep a good foundation flock out of the best producers and mothers. Eventually I will buy another ram from Paul Lewis. The next ram will be chosen for low birth weight, fast growth, high muscle, etc. for better lamb sale potential. Paul Lewis' flock is enrolled in Lambplan. He submits the paperwork of the results expected from the ram he is selling as they are calculated and published by Lambplan. Great way to get a ram that will hopefully throw the results you want. His bloodlines all go well with my foundation ewes so I am hoping to continue production of good fast growing heavily muscled market lambs. I like to sell at 3 months around 50 lbs. and seem to get good prices. At that age I don't have to castrate or wean, just load them in the trailer and off they go. :D =D

DGD1 is supposed to come over today to help set the table for Easter dinner. DD1 wants her to learn how to do it. DD1 never wanted to bother so she has decided that her daughter should. I have extra Easter decorations to put on the table along with fake decorated Easter eggs on sticks to put in the flower arrangement bowl. I guess I will have her do a separate small one for the children's table too. Luckily DH bought 6 chocolate Easter bunnies for the grandchildren - newborns don't need any. So we are set to continue as "good" grandparents. Not sure is DGS1 wants to eat with the other kids or at the adult table. He is 13 and sometimes they want the kudos of being at the adult table. I'll have to check.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! :love

Except DS2 decided to throw out a fever last night and start throwing up. :sick My kids are supposed to be over the habit of getting sick on holidays.

"
DGD1 came over and helped me set the Easter table and decorate it. Her mom brought roses and we used a pink tablecloth (apparently I had bought 2 and stitched them together to make one large enough for our table. She folded the napkins into "boats". They were supposed to be simple cones but hers were lopsided so I adjusted mine to match and they look like sailboats. Table is set with the "good stuff" - silver, crystal, etc. Then we arranged the roses and baby's breath in the long glass vase and she added the fancy fake decorated eggs on sticks. For a final touch she set out the miniature rabbit family and fake decorated eggs (no sticks) around the centerpiece. As she says "Ooooh! It's sooo beeyootiful!

Now she is down with DS1 "helping" him assemble the trampoline we bought 18 months ago. We were going to put it up last year but with Covid the kids were not coming over so decided to wait. Since there will be 6 children here able to u se it tomorrow, DS1 decided it would be a nice surprise for them.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cray and hectic as always at Ridgetop but wouldn't have it any other way! I hope everyone else had a great Easter too.

I don't like to post pix of family on public forums- I don't do Facebook - but here is a picture of everyone except DS2 who was in bed with a case of food poisoning from some bad chicken. He is on a diet, has lost 26 lbs. and preps chicken ahead of time and stores it in the fridge. When he was in bed for the second day, I tossed the plastic containers of his chicken into the freezer. Yesterday I got them out and threw them away. Since they were frozen, I simply ran hot water on the bottoms of the containers and popped out the raw frozen chicken. The chicken breast cubes were not too bad, but the thigh meat, even though still frozen solid, STANK! He said in future he will just freeze the individual portions and thaw them right before cooking. He missed all of Easter with the family. :sick :(

DGD1 came over to help decorate the table for Easter and here is a picture of her and the table.
IMG_6460.jpg

She was very proud of her artistic efforts decorating. After we were done she went down to help DS1 set up the trampoline. We ad purchased it 18 months before but with the Covid wanted to put t up since the kids were not coming over. DS1 decided this was a good time to set it up for all the children since everyone would be here for Easter. It was a big hit!

Dinner was delicious. Ham was excellent and leg of lamb cooked in portable roaster was perfect. All the side dishes were ready at the same time. DS2 was not able to make his trademark Pepper Poppers but he had made them the week before and frozen them ready to go in the hot air popper. His previous ones had melted the cream cheese out so he was trying a new way of doing them. DS1 got the frozen poppers out and DDIL1 cooked them. The new recipe worked perfectly and but apparently we ran out before everyone got enough. Babies were passed to and fro like hot potatoes. DD1 ad DDIL1 got their "baby fixes" although they agreed it wasn't enough time. The cousins ran around like banshees, from one activity to another. Lots of joking, laughing, and family stories.

After dinner DD1 wanted to get everyone together for a family picture. Although DS2 couldn't tear himself away from the porcelain phone the rest of us obediently trooped out for the photo. Although there are no roses blooming behind us (thank you ground squirrels) the hills are a nice backdrop. DD1 has decreed that we need to have family pictures any time we are all together. DSIL1 has a stand and timer on his camera so could get back into the shot in time. Anyway, here we all are:
123_1 (4).jpeg

L-R back Doofus (future DSIL2), DD2 Kassy, me with Annabel, DH Marv with Robert, DDIL2 Kathleen, DS1 Rick, DS3 Andy, DDIL1 Katie, DD1 Stephanie, DSIL1 Nelson
L-R front DGS3 Jim-9, DGD2 Maysie-3 (Doofus' daughter/Kassy's stepdaughter), DGD1 Elizabeth 7, DGS4 Luke 6, DGS2 Daniel 10, DGS1 David 13
Bathroom out of sight - DS2 Carl - puking

123_1 (8).jpeg

Same people but with addition of Rika who wandered up and was captured by grandsons to be in picture. LOL
I just love this picture. The other 2 dogs were locked up since Bubba gets too worried when the children play and scream thinking something is wrong. The children ate outside at the picnic table so the dogs had to be locked up since Bubba and Angel have no table manners.

123_1 (7).jpeg
DH and I with all grandchildren except Robert who was screaming to be fed and left with his mom.

123_1 (5).jpeg
Me and my girls with Robert as well - screaming to be fed but you can't tell. LOL

All the children agreed that this was the best Easter ever. DGSs3 and 4 did not want to go home when it was time to leave. Everyone decided to have another family get together for Thanksgiving at DS3's place in Nipomo. The kids also are planning a short camp out at DS3's place this summer when everyone can camp in tents and we will go to Pismo Beach for a beach campfire and cookout. This will be a good holiday to remember if and when disagreements arise between the siblings. LOL

DS3 is thinking about buying some ranch property in Texas but needs to be near Ft. Worth/Dallas for the electrical work. He is planning on hay fields and grazing land where he can move his stuff over a period of time like we are planning. He figures he can eventually put a prefab on it. I told him to get something with an old place that he can renovate since then he will have existing septic, water, and electric. Some counties are changing their requirements for septic and Ag exemption. Happy that he is considering it and once we are there we can look around for him or manage the hay cutting. DS3 is still flying his Trump flag to the delight of his neighbors, and it has been joined by a flag that reads "Don't blame me I voted for Trump!" :gig

Rika went to the vet yesterday. She has been crying in pain with her neck. 2 years ago the same thing happened and we took her in where t was decided that she had suffered some sort of injury. She was on pain meds for a couple weeks and then was fine. We couldn't get an appointment for a week, and during that time it died down but we wanted to make sure she was ok The vet said she showed no symptoms when he palpated her neck and head and had a full range of motion. He gave her a pain shot and a prescription for pain meds. He felt it might be that the injury from 2 years ago was giving her trouble with arthritis now that she was older. It was particularly bad when we had a cold spell several weeks ago. Now that we have pain meds for her we are happier since we were all dreading being told she had something incurable that would require euthanizing her. She is our darling.

Sadly, we will not be getting a puppy in June. The special AI breeding did not take and Erick is worried that there is something wrong with either the bitch or the semen. He s going to have some tests done since he only has a couple straws left of that particular stud. Hopefully it won't be the semen. He has 2 other bitches that he plans to breed though, and another couple that he would like to breed next year that are terrific guardian dogs, so we will be getting a puppy regardless. Since all his dogs are excellent I am not worried about not getting one from the special litter. Angel will be getting spayed this month. That will take away the temptation to breed her to Bubba. She is an excellent Anatolian and guardian, but I really don't want to breed her without papers. The Anatolian Society has been kicking their heels over the registration of the import sire and by the time she can be registered she will be too old to breed! Since it costs us between $600-800 to board her for 3 weeks when she comes in season, I want out from under that bi annual cost. Plus I am down a guardian for 3 weeks! With more and more ewes lambing here, I need my guardians working. Bubba doesn't seem interested in her until she is standing ready, and Erick said that his father and grandfather were like that too. They would ignore a bitch in season until she was ripe. However, if I were to rely on that and wait to whisk Angel off to the boarding kennel, I would end up boarding her for a week or 2 and then having a litter of puppies a month later! lol Anyway, getting a puppy later will give us an opportunity to travel to Texas when we pick her up eventually.

On Yelm, our agent texted us later Easter Saturday that there was another surprise showing so he held off sending the counter offer back until after those people saw the property. Then he sent the counter in and the buyers accepted it. We are in escrow with the Yelm property! If the Yelm sale goes through we will be coming to Texas as soon as the back up periods have passed, just before it closes. One more trip to Yelm then to Texas. Probably in May. :fl Hopefully we will be able to find something in Texas.

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpg
    IMG_6458.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts