Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Considering we just paid $15,000 on property in Yelm just to replace pump
Did they see you coming? When my well pump stopped working the well drillers figured out one of the wires near the cap had shorted and fried. HOW that happened I have no idea since it is properly insulated wire. Anyway, they fixed that but since the well was drilled in 1979 and the pump is apparently original I asked what it would cost to replace it when the time came. The price was under $2K.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember that the pump and all the well piping was stolen? I had just paid $5,000 3-4 years before to replace the original pump that had been there for the past 40+ years. Then the thieves stole all the pump wiring too! Washington State is high priced, and their labor is more expensive than California. Then they stick a 10% sales tax on the labor!!! Had to put it in regardless of cost - there was a hole in the ground where the well pump had been! Insurance covered it. Thank goodness we have sold that place and are done with it.

Well got the inspection report this morning and the main items that need work are the electrical, some problems there that need an electrician to look at them. There also needs to be a new electric line to the septic system since that will be aerobic. Not sure how it works. We could have the sprinklers water the backyard but like Bay said, "You don't want to be having a BBQ and some one flushes and the sprinklers come on and spray your company!" :lol:

However, the septic is shot. The leach (lateral) lines are crushed and the water is pooling at the edge of the driveway and field where the line from the cesspool empties into the broken leach lines. Both the house inspector and the septic man could see it and smell it. They said that the house could not be sold with the septic in that condition. Might not appraise for the loan. The septic man is working up an estimate for a new system. He said even if he could just replace the laterals, he would have to do it according to new code and that would mean digging another cess tank since now they require two tanks. It will be cheaper to put in a new aerobic system. It can't spray onto veggies or fruit trees, but can spray into the hayfields.

The electrical will require a new sub panel for the aerobic system. DH is fine with that since he will pay extra to have additional breakers to run electric to the barn and shed. There is currently an electric line draped through a tree and running out to the pump shed which will be put underground. Another few things that need repairs since they could be dangerous will be addressed at the same time. Including filling in the deep well in the back yard that has water at the bottom. Not a usable well, and dangerous to leave it unfilled. Septic man said he would break up the concrete well ring and fill the well when he does the new septic.

The roof is over 2 layers of shingles. Not Good. Next time it needs roofing will be expensive since all 3 layers will need to be removed. The screws holding on the metal roof do not come out into the attic head space which they are required to do so it is possible that the only thing holding the metal roof on is screws holding it to the layers of asphalt shingles. Big Wind -Good Bye Roof! Some of the flashing is missing, some other stuff not properly done. Husband probably did it himself. Getting a roofer to take a look - another inspection, another bid for repairs. More $$, but less than a new roof! :lol:

Everything else is fixable by us - some sticky doors needing planing, some caulking of windows, fans needing replacement, etc. Big ticket items are septic and electrical. We can even fix part of the roof problems by buying longer roofing screws and putting them in the roof ourselves.

Got to check to see if we can add the repairs into our loan or if that is considered Boot - the amount we have to ay 30% capital gans on. If it is Boot we will have to bite the bullet and and come up with the $$ ourselves. We will discuss with seller to see if she will pay some of the cost (both inspectors said she can't sell the house without a working septic). However, lowering the price of the house doesn't help us since it means we still have to pay the repairs. We can do that though being able to put it all on a mortgage payment would be handier and deductible.

Here are some more pix of the house.
IMG_0745.jpgPicture of house from across street. Very cute house with white columns, porch railing, and shutters. There is room in front for circle drive to make access from road easier. No need to remove any trees for driveway. Trying to decide how to fence house in case dogs get out from back pasture into hose yard and still allow ease in pulling in with car, truck, and trailers. Fence around sides of house but don't fence driveways leaving them open for access?

IMG_0738.jpg Front of house from street/driveway. Brick with white columns and railings in front. Solid built little house.
IMG_6641.jpegEnd of house looking toward highway.

IMG_6644.jpeg Big Catalpa trees across front of yard.
IMG_0737.jpg BARN!!! Barn is much bigger than first thought. Center barn area is 20' x 60' and was used to store hay. The left side covered area is 10' x 60' and the right side is 10' x 60'. Solid wall of barn is a small (10'x10'?) tack or feed room with door. Probably was a tack room since the right side of the barn was where the owner's children kept their horses. The barn is in good shape - solid wooden framework - just needs some TLC. Some metal panels damaged by cattle and need eventual replacing after we move in.

I have calls out for a roof and chimney inspection. I have sent portions of the inspection report to the roofer and electrician for bids, and am waiting for the bid on the septic. Then we have to discuss with agent and seller's agent as to what they w contribute to repairs. Seller is elderly and doesn't want to do anything to house. I think she was shocked to hear that the septic had to be replaced instead of just adding new leach lines. We will see what the bids are. All the repair and inspection people know Mrs. McDonald and her husband. When the septic man and electrician walked it was like old home week! Makes it easy to give the address - just tell them the McDonald place. 😄 She is a lovely lady and I feel bad that the inspection gave her bad news, but we do need to figure those expenses into the purchase.

I talked to 2 well diggers now. The second well man I called said to use the well until it died then maybe dig another well. He would look on the maps to see if there was enough water to merit digging another well. Then the seller's agent gave me Clay Earle;s cell number. Clay Earle, whose mama told me about the Cowboy Mafia, is familiar with the well and explained that the well casing was steel. The amount of sulphur and iron in the soil had caused some rusting through of the casing allowing ground water to get into the well water. He said that it would not taste too good although it wouldn't hurt you. It also would stain siding and and stain sinks. The pump is running fine and he said just to use it for the livestock. The pump is 1.5 hp and would pump about 14-15 GPM. This is much better news than what his mama said. :D =D However he said that mama was 88 years old and not a professional. I said that is why I needed to talk to him about the well.

So things are looking better with the well, however having to replace the entire septic system is not good news. The possibility that the roof might fly away in a strong wind, and the electric system needs some significant repairs is also not good news. Need to see what the estimates come in at to do repairs and replace septic.

Got a name and number for a great vet from Mrs. McDonald. The inspector, electrician, and septic man who were all there at the time for the inspection also swore by Dr. Dave Black. :gigEveryone I have called including the bank and loan people all have cattle. LOL The vet's daddy raised sheep so they said that Dr. Dave would know about them. Oh yes, and Dr. Dave lives one or two houses away from Mrs. McDonald so convenient for emergencies! She also gave me the name of a good plumber. And one of the lenders gave me the name for a hay broker. Keeping a list!!! Love this town!!! 😍

And still love the ranch in spite of the road and inspection flaws. Close to town, 10 minutes from easy Dallas freeway access. Hospital in town. Catholic church in town. Lots of 4-H clubs who need volunteers. Even a senior center in town. Everyone knows everyone. Perfect place for us. 🤩

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have not received bid on septic yet, waiting on it for further information. But new septic can not be installed until November (Chad is booked up until then). DH and I are discussing several options.

1. Have handyman do repairs (smoke and CO2 detectors, GFCIs, plane doors, replace fans, and exposed bulb closet light fixtures, etc.) and rent house out. The current septic is working now, sort of, with the broken connection just pooling into field. Don't like renting the house before new septic goes in and electric moved while tenant is in residence. Also want to be on site when work is going on in case they have to relocate something. Since we will be living in this house I would like to be the one to decide on new locations. Don't want to come back and find out that sub panel or sprinklers are where DH planned to put something else instead of where we wanted them.

2. Leave house vacant until after septic is installed in November. Don't like that option either. Too easy for vagrants to move in and damage house leading to more repairs. However, seller wants to stay in home until mid-September so possibly only one month vacant.

3. Go home, marry off DD2 - if Gov. Gruesome does not close everything up again - and return to Texas.. If he does, have a quiet small family wedding and home reception. If allowed to do so by family who want to marry off youngest sibling with nice wedding and reception.
So, return to Texas beginning of October after wedding? Camp out in house while doing repairs ourselves and waiting for septic install. Of course, with NEW inflatable mattress!! And maybe a sofa from Salvation Army. This will allow us to return with stock trailer and some of our equipment which we will store in the toolshed until we can get one of our connexes back here. I suggested to DH that we buy a new one here but he wants to bring our connexes with us since they are brand new. Our idea was to pack a lot of our corral panels, stall mats, rabbit cages, hot wire fencing parts, heavy duty connex shelving, and other farm equipment in the connex then have it delivered to the farm.

Time enough to work out time line. Seller's hair dresser has friend wanting to rent a house so may have already found a tenant. Have to have them talk to Kris when ready to rent. Don't have to do much to house except a few minor repairs. Carpet is in good shape and so is paint.

Now, I don't want to go back to California! ;)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it's all falling into place! Love it! Looks like a beautiful ranch despite the issues.

You may need to check with the truck hauler people regarding whether the connex has to be empty or if it can have stuff in it to move. The ones we've talked to here have required them to be empty in order to move them. Possibly because they were moved with a tilt truck and not using a crane. Might also make a difference if the stuff inside is tied down or properly boxed up.

Connex prices are a lot higher now than they were a year or so ago. If the new place is near to a port city it might be cheaper to buy a connex there and just move the stuff, then sell the old connex in CA.