Riding Cows

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to ride the milk cow back to the shed. Sometimes after the milking and no telling where she would go but we didn't care.

I got into Zebu with the specific intention of using them as draft animals. I had to sell out (all but 1 bull) and am working on starting over again.
I had one cow that I would lead around town with the horse while she pulled a cart. I never got her where she wouldn't try to run away so I used the horse to get her used to it and stop her when she thought she could run.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone here ride their cows? I have a 2 year old Hereford heifer who I ride often! She’s so sweet! We made our record ride today going past the mailbox onto our back road! View attachment 88829View attachment 88830
So, when I was much much younger. My friend and I used to ride her Hereford. We even set up low jumps. We were in-between horses and well, you know...

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We used to ride the milk cow back to the shed. Sometimes after the milking and no telling where she would go but we didn't care.

I got into Zebu with the specific intention of using them as draft animals. I had to sell out (all but 1 bull) and am working on starting over again.
I had one cow that I would lead around town with the horse while she pulled a cart. I never got her where she wouldn't try to run away so I used the horse to get her used to it and stop her when she thought she could run.
That’s awesome! I care where my cow goes because she has tried to run me through trees before 😂

I’m sorry you had to sell your whole heard, that was probably hard. I hope all goes well starting back up!!!

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are pretty sure my cow is pregnant, so
I won’t be riding her as much. I’ve been training her to play Hide-And-Seek, she’s surprisingly good at it 😂 Cows are a lot smarter then people give them credit for!!

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone here ride their cows? I have a 2 year old Hereford heifer who I ride often! She’s so sweet! We made our record ride today going past the mailbox onto our back road! View attachment 88829View attachment 88830
It’s Okay if anyone thinks I’m out of line, I don’t mind correcting myself or being corrected, but would I be wrong to suggest that if you are over …say…155-160….that maybe the cow would prefer to be left to themselves or just spoiled with some sweet cob? I know that Bull riding is a thing….and that the bulls they use are pretty massively muscular…and short lived…but the cow has a different spinal column and musculature than the many animals that have been commonly used for riding. They are perfectly suited to carrying a ‘yoke’ on their neck or shoulders and they can pull a fair amount of weight behind (not like a mule…but some). They‘re just not the same.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It’s Okay if anyone thinks I’m out of line, I don’t mind correcting myself or being corrected, but would I be wrong to suggest that if you are over …say…155-160….that maybe the cow would prefer to be left to themselves or just spoiled with some sweet cob? I know that Bull riding is a thing….and that the bulls they use are pretty massively muscular…and short lived…but the cow has a different spinal column and musculature than the many animals that have been commonly used for riding. They are perfectly suited to carrying a ‘yoke’ on their neck or shoulders and they can pull a fair amount of weight behind (not like a mule…but some). They‘re just not the same.
I think they are fine to ride if you are 155-160, cows carry the bulls weight when breeding. I know it’s not all the bulls weigh, but it’s still a lot of it and they are built very strong to be able to hold weight on their backs. Now if you feel as though your cow is weaker and can’t hold anything close to that weight, don’t do it!!! Even if you want to do so bad!!! Also, if I feel as if my cow isn’t ready to ride, I don’t do it.