Rifles and pistols and shotguns oh my!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had the occasion this last Christmas to host our annual family get together and noon dinner, which was to be served at 1pm. In years past, we tended to sit around after dinner and watch football, but this year, I decided on a different kind of activity and included in the invitations "We will be shooting the guns after dinner--bring 'em if ya got 'em". I knew most had at least one, even my two older sisters--in their 60s and 70s. (I'll be 65 in a few months) I had built a bullet backstop down near one of the waterways on my center property, out of railroad 8"x9"x8' cross ties and it has an earthen berm behind it and about 1/2 mile of open pasture even beyond that. I was a bit taken back by the number of weapons that were brought tho. My oldest sister brought her skeet equipment and several cases of clay pigeons. My brother brought his lever action 42-30, there were an assortment of shotguns, my sks, a 30-30, a 30-06, my 20 ga Mossy, 270 Weatherby, my sis-in-laws 243, and a few others I have forgotten.

Our target--150 yards away:
008_zps31cbbbe8.jpg

004_zps945eef78.jpg

A few of the long guns:
006_zps9df2c049.jpg

My brother's blackpowder pistol:
007_zpsc22102fc.jpg

My son and grandson shooting skeet off to the side:
011_zps0221248a.jpg

My sis-in-law with her .243:
013_zps26b7c822.jpg

The other girls getting ready to move down closer for the pistol part:
010_zps53952834.jpg

I'll continue in the next post as I don't know how many pics I can embed in a single post, but a great time was had by all. The orange containers on the table above is Tannerite. It explodes when hit by a high velocity round and was a great success as well--we blew up a couple of stumps with it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
This last Saturday, I had some friends coming down from Dallas to pick up a car I had lost interest in and they, knowing I had lots of room, asked if they could do some shooting while they were here. Again, I was surprised how much gear they brought down.

First, just because, I'll show the group, in front of the car in question-I'm the older gentleman with the grey beard--hence my username.

group_zpswwz946p1.jpg

First up, and before everybody else had a chance to don their ear protection was one of my friends trying out my SKS.
the%20ntfcgang%20005_zpslz9nzrvj.jpg

I had set some targets out a little closer for the pistoleros so we didn't have to walk down to the main targets.

the%20ntfcgang%20010_zpso8zcfjbh.jpg

This AR Blackout was a new experience for me, and wife now wants one. That's my wonderful partner in the grey jacket. The bucket is for expended brass--it got about 1/4 full before the day was out.
NTFC20_zpsvnfczgrq.jpg

My wife trying out the AR while others spotted. Can you guess what she's shooting at?
the%20ntfcgang%20009_zpsxwgvjo9c.jpg

(One of the guys is spotting for her with my Weatherby .270)

She's setting off Tannerite--it has to be mixed before use:

the%20ntfcgang%20006_zps5sl5qwxq.jpg

I don't remember what this one is, but I tried it and liked it as well tho it is lighter than what I would normally like to use:
the%20ntfcgang%20007_zpsndceya7w.jpg

The same weapon in action. The canvas bandoleer on the table holds 100 rounds in stripper clips of 7.62/39 ammo for my SKS. I buy it by the battle pack for for just a few cents/round.
the%20ntfcgang%20008_zpsray83nk2.jpg

We again had a great time, again picked up all our brass so the cattle wouldn't ingest them, some was kept for reloading and some is just throwaway brass. No pics of me shooting tho I tried everything available, including one I have wanted to get for a long time, a Mosin Nagant. Loved everything about it except that dang safety.

My wife was looking for something different to try when she was done with the 30cal AR and pulled my .270 Weatherby out of the back seat of the truck. :D I told her "There's a lot of difference in a semiautomatic and that bolt action Weatherby--you got a hoss right there--ya sure you big enough to handle him?"
Took her 2 rounds to decide she would go back to the SKS, which she is very good with.

If you look in this pic, you can see the shooting doesn't do much to run off the wildlife. There are 5 in this picture, one partially obscured by the very right top of the backhoe. (you have to look close--took the pick from my back porch. The target area is just out of frame extreme left center of the picture--I took it a few days ago, feeding in my oats, clover and ryegrass.
deer22_zpsdemy2i3b.jpg

Last edited:

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now that looks like fun!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do a lot of shooting too. I've got a Ruger 10/22 that I'm teaching my 10 year old daughter to shoot with. I've got a couple of 30 round clips for it and she loves unloading 30 rounds into a gallon milk jug full of water. Shoot, I love to do that too. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that's the way to celebrate Christmas and family get togethers!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
This last Saturday, I had some friends coming down from Dallas to pick up a car I had lost interest in and they, knowing I had lots of room, asked if they could do some shooting while they were here. Again, I was surprised how much gear they brought down.

First, just because, I'll show the group, in front of the car in question-I'm the older gentleman with the grey beard--hence my username.

group_zpswwz946p1.jpg

First up, and before everybody else had a chance to don their ear protection was one of my friends trying out my SKS.
the%20ntfcgang%20005_zpslz9nzrvj.jpg

I had set some targets out a little closer for the pistoleros so we didn't have to walk down to the main targets.

the%20ntfcgang%20010_zpso8zcfjbh.jpg

This AR Blackout was a new experience for me, and wife now wants one. That's my wonderful partner in the grey jacket. The bucket is for expended brass--it got about 1/4 full before the day was out.
NTFC20_zpsvnfczgrq.jpg

My wife trying out the AR while others spotted. Can you guess what she's shooting at?
the%20ntfcgang%20009_zpsxwgvjo9c.jpg

(One of the guys is spotting for her with my Weatherby .270)

She's setting off Tannerite--it has to be mixed before use:

the%20ntfcgang%20006_zps5sl5qwxq.jpg

I don't remember what this one is, but I tried it and liked it as well tho it is lighter than what I would normally like to use:
the%20ntfcgang%20007_zpsndceya7w.jpg

The same weapon in action. The canvas bandoleer on the table holds 100 rounds in stripper clips of 7.62/39 ammo for my SKS. I buy it by the battle pack for for just a few cents/round.
the%20ntfcgang%20008_zpsray83nk2.jpg

We again had a great time, again picked up all our brass so the cattle wouldn't ingest them, some was kept for reloading and some is just throwaway brass. No pics of me shooting tho I tried everything available, including one I have wanted to get for a long time, a Mosin Nagant. Loved everything about it except that dang safety.

My wife was looking for something different to try when she was done with the 30cal AR and pulled my .270 Weatherby out of the back seat of the truck. :D I told her "There's a lot of difference in a semiautomatic and that bolt action Weatherby--you got a hoss right there--ya sure you big enough to handle him?"
Took her 2 rounds to decide she would go back to the SKS, which she is very good with.

If you look in this pic, you can see the shooting doesn't do much to run off the wildlife. There are 5 in this picture, one partially obscured by the very right top of the backhoe. (you have to look close--took the pick from my back porch. The target area is just out of frame extreme left center of the picture--I took it a few days ago, feeding in my oats, clover and ryegrass.
deer22_zpsdemy2i3b.jpg
Is that a Pontiac Firebird?
And you got tired of it ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Indy pace car Pont Fiero. 2 seater--mid engine. I had 2 identical to this one and have had as many as 5 Fieros at one time, but it was time to let them all go. Too old to work on them or get in and out of them.

I can't think of a better way to say "Happy Birthday " Jesus than cold blue steel and the smell of gunpowder
Well, we 'did" do the traditional Christmas thing that day too.

001_zps8c2c33ee.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Indy pace car Pont Fiero. 2 seater--mid engine. I had 2 identical to this one and have had as many as 5 Fieros at one time, but it was time to let them all go. Too old to work on them or get in and out of them.

Well, we 'did" do the traditional Christmas thing that day too.

001_zps8c2c33ee.jpg
Merry Christmas to you and your family a few months late :thumbsup

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard have you ever shot a Henry rifle? If so, what did ya think about it? Have thought about getting one, either .357 or 30-30, but don't want to spend that much on a mantle piece....thanks!