Rifles and pistols and shotguns oh my!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
But you could put the tannerite in a visible area and blast from safe distance right? The only ignition I saw in my brief trip through YouTube was a rifle shot. Kinda hard to shoot down into a hole from a long way off ;)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you? You could if you had it with you. Not to mention the fact that given the need to reload, you'd be able to get it done so much faster using the Maglula than doing it the old fashioned way... How many folks are carrying boxes of ammo to reload with in any altercation anyway? Better to carry 4+ mags.

That's why we got the Glocks, they come standard with 2 10 round mags - you can get 13 round mags for them too. If you can't hit something with 20 shots, you have a bigger problem. They came with a magazine loading assist, but I hate it with a passion.

Soar - I can still shoot proficiently with a .45, but I have some muscle wasting in my wrist that sometimes causes me to "limp wrist" it and the ejecting shell will stovepipe. I notice that it is a bigger issue with the heavy 1911 vs the Glock. It's also a bigger issue the more I shoot. I tend to load lighter loads for target shooting than the standard Federal I carry, and that eases it up to make it where I can shoot longer. For target shooting, I'll load generally around a 180 gr bullet with 5 - 5.2 gr of HP38 (I think, don't quote me there, I'd have to find my binder for my target loads) - it makes it just about as light as the 9mm. They also will let you qualify with a wrist brace, which stops the limp wristing issue that I have - it's not an improper grip, just that I don't have a strong grip anymore due to a lot of nerve damage.

Where I ran into issues with a 9mm Glock (I looked at those first actually) was the size of them. It would have been preferable actually, but my hand did not fit the grip and my pinky hung off the magazine - I wanted a compact/sub compact for carrying as I'm small and any full size pistol is difficult for me to conceal. It felt like I didn't have a good control on it like that. I'm not a big glock fan at all, but for the money, they are a nice "I don't care if I beat it up" shooter.

Actually, for around the house, I'm a huge fan of the Mossberg Maverick 12 ga. It might rock my shoulder, but I don't need to be anywhere near as precise.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 12 ga Mossy and a 20ga New Haven--a 'made by Mossburg' 500 clone for my wife, with Hogue Tamer pistolgrip and fore end on the 20 ga. #9 in the chamber and four #1buckshots in the mag. She can handle it pretty good. I need to shorten the barrel on the 20 ga but haven't yet. I put the Hogue stuff on it because her arms weren't long enough to reach the slide with a regular stock on it.

Tannerite. Really, it is not economical or even powerful enough to use for anything demolition, and when we talk about using it for that, it lends to ATF towards re-categorizing it into a restricted/controlled explosive instead of a binary target. (I'm guilty of that too)

Last edited:

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just caught up on this forum. New to the site. I had some thoughts, answers to some, and responses. Henry Rifles although I don't own 1 yet I've shot them they are very smooth, accurate and well built. The short distance 30-30. I use it as my brush gun, keep when out on the horse and love it. It's a marlin which I like because it's a good gun and very affordable. If my horse is tied up and roles over with it on her (has happened) I'm not out $$$ (it just broke the rear sight). Also would a 12ga work if half of what your after is a coon or of that size. A good load will get a coyote or coon. Also out in Cali. If you can't use a foot trap can you use an electronic predator call. Sorry I don't remember the names to which I'm responding.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey there @CLSranch greetings and welcome to BYH! Glad you decided to join in :D Hope you'll stick around for a while. Make yourself at home and browse the forum. hope you'll find something of interest.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CLSranch Hi there from NW Mississippi! :frow
Thanks for the info on the Henry and 30-30.:thumbsup
As far as the shotgun goes, I have a 20gauge and have killed coons and possums with it, but I prefer a rifle and looking to replace a 30-06 that I had at one time, with something that has less of a bite....and a bit more knockdown that a .22, but is economical to shoot with availabilty of ammo.:)
Ya oughta make a post in the New Member Forum so everyone can Welcome ya there.:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score

So do I!!!

[I]The young Marine was weary
and he sought a little rest
With his helmet for a pillow
And his rifle on his chest.
He has seen the gunships fire.
He had heard the cannons roar.
He had seen the Navy's power
as he made his way ashore.
Then he thought about his rifle
And he found it rather small,
With the gunships and the cannons
It was nothing much at all.
The efforts of a rifleman
Meant little, it would seem.
Then, as he slipped to slumber,
He dreamed himself a dream.

The man who stood beside him
Held a musket in his hand
And close around his neck he wore
A heavy leather band.
"When I was on Old Ironsides"
The apparition said
"There were cannonballs and cutlasses
Wherever danger led.
There were pistols too, and daggers
At every fighter's side
When the ships would come together
On the rolling, heaving, tide.
But when it came to boarding,
With the battle fury hot
It was Rifles, always Rifles
That made the telling shot."

The apparition faded
And standing in its place
Beneath a shallow helmet
He saw another face.
"When we were in the trenches
In the wood they called Marine
There were mortars, tanks and cannons,
More than I had ever seen.
But when the final charge was made
To push the Germans back
At the point of the attack."

The face changed only slightly
And the helmet stayed the same
But the island that he spoke of
Had a more familiar name.
"They hit us very early
On the day the war begun.
On the wings of all their bombers
We could see the Rising Sun.
Our pilots and our gunners
Who fought and fell at Wake
Wrote a story full of glory
That time can never shake.
But when the enemy drew near
To make his final reach
That met him on the beach."

There next appeared a shadow
In a swirl of stinging snow
And it breathed a fierce defiance
And its eyes were all aglow.
"In Fifty at the Chosin
When the big guns couldn't talk
And the First Marine Division
Took a fighting, freezing walk,
When all the world, except the Corps
Had counted us as gone
That let us carry on."

The scene was changed to summer
And the face was hard and lean
And the tired eyes were fired
With the light that says "Marine".
"At Khe Sahn when they shelled us
We were wrapped in rolling smoke
And the thought of our survival
Was a grim and ghastly joke.
But when the waves came swarming in
To finish the assault
That called the final halt."

There next appeared a General
As solid as a tank
With three stars on his collar
to signify his rank.
His stature and demeanor
Were the military type
And in his hand he carried
A stubby little pipe.
His jaw was squarely chisled,
His eyes were clear and keen
And his bearing left no question.
He was all Marine's Marine.

"The message they're conveying"
The burly General said
"Is that through our troubled history
The rifles always led.
We've had cannons, tank and mortars.
We've had weapons by the score,
We've had Battleships and fighter planes
To complement The Corps.
We've a most impressive arsenal.
That's obviously true,
But the final thrust for victory
Has always been with you.
When The Corps was sorely pressed
And the rifle that you carry
Must meet the final test.
So sling that rifle proudly,
For everything we do
With mortars, tanks and cannons
Is just an aid to you."

The young Marine awakened
And put the dream aside,
Though now he clutched his rifle
With a certain touch of pride.
And then he chanced to notice
That lying near his hand
Was a stubby little pipe
And a heavy leather band.

author unknown[/I]
[I][/I]

still true today.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @greybeard , I appreciate that...:thumbsup
I have always liked rifles....guess it comes from watching those old shows like "Combat, Rat Patrol", and such, along with those old Audie Murphy movies. Dad being in the Navy, we were around Marines too. The closest I could get to Service is 2yrs of ROTC in high school, I was on the Drill team and twirled a M14. That only having one kidney thing, kept me from Serving. So, I really do appreciate that. :)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The price is why I like the .22 so much, and shoot so often. But, I need a little bit bigger multi purpose with a bigger punch. The biggest predator around here would be coyote or bobcat, mainly coons and possums. I have a pistol, but I prefer a rifle...that's why I was thinking about the 30-30. Anybody have any Pros and Cons about it? Never shot one, so not familiar with it.

On the 30-30 thing, it depends on what kind of 30-30 you get. DH has a Marlin lever action, I have a Remington 788 bolt action.
They shoot pretty much the same, mine has a longer barrel. Both are nice accurate hunting rifles. If I miss with either of them, it's because I missed. The Remington is very accurate to about 300 yards and then the drop gets to be too much. I can't think of much I've shot at that far away, except targets for fun.
The biggest difference is what you intend to shoot through it. Because the lever action is an inline load, you cannot put pointed tip ammo in it (like the 150 grain FMJ rounds), because it can hit the primer and cause it to go off, when you don't want it to. Bad juju there. Mine being a bolt action, I can run the FMJ 150 gr or the typical 170 gr soft tips. My magazine only holds 3 though, and I believe you can put 7 in the lever action, but don't quote me there.

You know what is great for coyotes, bobcats etc? A .17 HMR - plenty of punch for little predators. 30-30 is a bit overkill (nothing wrong with overkill IMHO) and is well suited for deer etc.