Rifles and pistols and shotguns oh my!

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cntry
@CLSranch Hi there from NW Mississippi! :frow
Thanks for the info on the Henry and 30-30.:thumbsup
As far as the shotgun goes, I have a 20gauge and have killed coons and possums with it, but I prefer a rifle and looking to replace a 30-06 that I had at one time, with something that has less of a bite....and a bit more knockdown that a .22, but is economical to shoot with availabilty of ammo.:)
Ya oughta make a post in the New Member Forum so everyone can Welcome ya there.:)
One thing I like on .22's and any brush type gun is raised scope mounts. My 30-30 doesn't fit in the scabbard with a scope but loved it with others. I can throw it up at a moving or close target immediately. And it a coyote or anything is farther and not moving I use the scope. You sometimes can't find a moving object in a scope. And I do like the .17 AClark mentioned. Thought of getting one here.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My brother just called. He bought his wife a new rifle to replace her Weatherby .243.
Told her "now you can play with the big boys". It's a little bit of a step up for her.
Weatherby MKV in .340.
At least it has the good muzzle brake on it....she gonna need it too.
:lol::lol:

Dunno why he didn't go ahead and just get her a .375 Weatherby.
"Cuz I couldn't find a left hand version easy enough.."

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So is that thing going to kick her onto her can and make her go deaf at the same time?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A little bit of a step up?! Hope she's a solidly built woman.

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Love it! We have a shooting range we put in our woods. it's only 150 yd target but it's downhill and there is trees and down hill is Creek. there is nobody else around for miles. We would shoot the corn right off the stalk like where you tear it off, one handed with a Charles Daley 12 gauge. I've shot on my horse too, would love to get into mounted shooting! How are your critters with the noise?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shooting doesn't bother the cattle at all. Dogs are a little skittish tho.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Love it! We have a shooting range we put in our woods. it's only 150 yd target but it's downhill and there is trees and down hill is Creek. there is nobody else around for miles. We would shoot the corn right off the stalk like where you tear it off, one handed with a Charles Daley 12 gauge. I've shot on my horse too, would love to get into mounted shooting! How are your critters with the noise?
I

I've done the mounted shooting a couple of times. I would like to do it more. I used to deer hunt of my horses.
I got a recurve just for bow hunting horse back but haven't practiced yet.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you? You could if you had it with you. Not to mention the fact that given the need to reload, you'd be able to get it done so much faster using the Maglula than doing it the old fashioned way... How many folks are carrying boxes of ammo to reload with in any altercation anyway? Better to carry 4+ mags.
My straps for my shoulder harness holster has snap pouches, one on each side for a speed loader. So, 18 rounds total. Just think, before semi-autos became standard for law enforcement, a revolver with speed loader pouches were on every gun belt.
Sure you could use them in a real life altercation. Did I ever mention before being interested in ministry I earned an A.S. of Conservation Law Enforcement and was a reserve deputy marshal? Ah, so many chapters ago.

Novasark

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I

I've done the mounted shooting a couple of times. I would like to do it more. I used to deer hunt of my horses.
I got a recurve just for bow hunting horse back but haven't practiced yet.

My mare is so calm with guns I shot a 10 ga off her, I almost blew my ass off but she didn't flinch. as long as she's got grass under her that fat ass ain't going no where. I have tried talking my hubby into going out on horses ain't nd hunt instead of just his deer stand. we have game trails and walking/riding trails all in the woods. There is a 24 pt running around, he is old and wise. I'm hoping to draw him to me with my horses since they so approach them in the fields.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've jumped countless deer that I walked right up to horseback. That I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Latest posts