Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes... I had to keep looking because I’ve never seen sheep that pretty. The black and white is awesome..I missed the breed somewhere in the thread..what are they? Congratulations on them? What perfect timing too!! I love the names! Keep up the pictures!
I started with 3 Dorper/Katahdin mixed and 1 Katahdin ewes 5 years ago. They were bred to a Katahdin ram. I only kept one from that lambing, from the Katahdin ewe. I bought what turned out to be a poor quality Dorper ram and bred him to my ewes. I now have Ringo, a registered Katahdin ram, who is putting his mark of quality on his lambs. I will eventually move to better quality ewes, I'll keep the best of what I have for a commercial flock, and add a few registered Katahdin ewes. The spottiest lamb this year is Aria, who comes from a grade, unregistered Katahdin ewe and Ringo. The black and white spotting comes from black head Dorpers.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are lovely sheep. Spotty breeds always have the 'wow' factor for me. I love the Valais Black Nose but they cost a fortune over here.

Now all this talk of pretty is upsetting one of my rams. HE thinks he is very pretty.
roaster and mum (4).jpg

Luckily you can't see his facial side-profile with his huge nasal bump....but he's a good example of a Blue Faced Leicester.

This is my favoured breed of local sheep, the Beulah Speckle faced.

roaster and mum (3).jpg

or
roaster and mum (2).jpg

The grey muzzle on the old girl with triplets in the last pic is not typical.......she's just gone grey with age!

The big ugly boy in the top pic weighs about 18st, is very sweet-natured, and a total wimp (wants to come indoors every time there's a drop of rain). The smaller Beulahs are as tough as old boots and can cope with our unpleasant weather.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sheepshape i think your Blue Faced Leicester is lovely and I even like the side view of their faces. Your Beulah Speckled face Sheep bring a smile to my face. Contrasting against your lush green pastures, they are picture perfect. Tell them Baymule thinks they all are beautiful!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not totally familiar with the different breeds that are "across the pond"; but aren't the Leicesters known for their very fine wool? Maybe I have that backwards and it is another breed. I have seen some of the Lincoln Longwools that are at some of the heritage farms, but I thought there were some Leicester sheep also. They are a taller breed aren't they? Wool here is just not worth much, and it costs more to get the sheep shorn than what you get for the wool. That was one reason we went from horned Dorsets to the White Texas Dall sheep. We liked the horns on them. There is a bit of a market for the rams, which is why we raise them, to sell to hunting preserves. The markets have been soft the past few years, and unless the rams have exceptional horns as young ones, have been marketing the lambs at the different ethnic holidays.
I loved the horns and the bodies of the Dorsets. They were good mothers, and had very good dispositions. The Dall's are a hair breed, no shearing, but are semi-wild and not cuddly. Unless you raise a bottle lamb. They are very susceptible to worms in this area. Sometimes I wonder if they are worth it. It seems that the worm problems are worse the past few years, and with all the wet we have had, it has been a constant battle.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not totally familiar with the different breeds that are "across the pond"; but aren't the Leicesters known for their very fine wool?
Leicesters have a very thin, curly. lustrous coat of fine wool which is prized by spinners. However, as they have such fine 'coats' they cannot stand the cold and shiver as soon as a bit of breeze catches them. They are very tall, long, and big-boned, so are considered as good sheep for mule breeding. They have a large bump on the nose which gives them a very sonorous bleat. Crossed with Beulahs they produce a taller, heavier, woolier sheep which is often further crossed with a terminal sire of the big-bummed continental type (like a Texel)_ to produce a tall , stocky, muscular sheep.
Wool prices are generally very poor over here too with shearing prices about the same as the wool price. However, our sheep need their thick coats to cope with the winter.
The native Beulah is an excellent mother, developed locally and is very at home with our climate.
As always, lovely sheep!! The ole gal is doing a good job for you.
She was a real trooper who birthed unaided and suckled all three (I did keep her in and around the sheep shed and give her lots of supplemental food until the lambs were taking solids.). She is still with us now.
Contrasting against your lush green pastures, they are picture perfect.
You are too kind, Bay!
Our lovely green is now Mud Central due to weeks of heavy rain. This seems to be the pattern for December over here now. Spring seems such a long time off.
Here's hoping you all have a lovely and peaceful Christmas and New Year.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like big roman nosed sheep! But I'm partial to Nubian goats too, love those profiles! My dh has a big schnozz too now that I think of it... 🤣
Ha Ha ....me too.Do you like Damascus goats as well as Nubians? Now, in parts of the Middle East the Damascus goat is considered beautiful. Easy to see why, in my eyes. Nothing wrong with big hooters, or, in the case of the Damascus, kinda NO hooter. Nice to have some variation. Amongst my flock being rather ugly, a bit deformed etc almost guarantees you a place to stay (and join my 'retired' sub-flock).
That Blue faced Leicester was named 'Marshmallow' by a class of 8-year old school kids. In order to preserve his dignity I shortened it to Marshall. The ladies think he is 'the bee's knees' and he is inclined to agree with them.
Marshall has done his 'stud duties' for the year and is now back in his field with his friend Dexter.

Dexter.jpg

Dexter also thinks he is 'The Man'.