Ringo has Moved to TEXAS 2-28-19 to 2-6-23 Goodbye Dear Friend

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I moved to the farm at the end of August. Son helped me move sheep and dogs. That went smoothly, both sheep and dogs love their new home. Ringo, as always, took change in stride. Animal crackers, some scratches, and everything is right in his world.

No barn, so I’ve made do with Quonset huts and a cow panel shelter. Here is a shot I took in October. Ringo is on the left. He has his harem of ewes now, one ewe due in January, 4 more due in April.

371D7BEF-1796-42DC-83D4-B600B1EF6696.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo has lost 1, maybe 2 front teeth. I dangled fresh grass in front of him to get him to open his mouth. He’s not real cooperative with a dental exam. Grass in one hand, snapping lots of pictures with the other. I got one good picture. What do y’all think? 2 teeth?

3F085C08-F01C-427A-9198-2C4F0D997933.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um, is that normal? And should the others have the big brown areas that could be cavities or something?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um, is that normal? And should the others have the big brown areas that could be cavities or something?
Yes loss of teeth in older grazing animals is normal . Those brown stains have been there a loooong time. Getting darker, but Not cavities. I keep a sharp eye on him to make sure he doesn’t lose condition. He is probably missing a molar or two also, or maybe ground down from the years. If he gets down to gums, I’ll feed him oatmeal and moistened pellets. Ringo is my Old Man. He’s spoiled. I’ll do all I can for him, but wear and tear is going to happen. It’s not like I can fit him for dentures.

I had a friend whose horse died at 47 years old. Twice a day he fed that old horse oatmeal plus a senior feed that he had the mill grind up. Horse didn’t have a tooth left in his head.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
R.I.P. Ringo.
February 28, 2013 to February 6, 2023

Ringo went down over the weekend. I gave him Nutri-Drench, electrolytes, pulled and hand fed him fresh green grass. He refused his feed, finally he refused feed, grass, water, even his beloved animal crackers. Sheba, Sentry and even the new puppy, Buford all knew something was wrong. I knew where this was headed and gave him all the love I could.

I took him to the vet yesterday evening for his last ride. I explained his symptoms, what I had done for him and his age. Life expectancy for a ram is 10-12 years. Ringo was 22 days away from 10 years old. My heart screamed save him at any cost. But the farmer faced reality head on, I couldn’t put a thousand dollar vet bill into a ram at the end of his life, get him patched up and have him die of other causes a couple months later, when I could have take that same thousand dollars and bought a fine, new, young ram. Sometimes i hate being practical.

I sat in the floor of the trailer, stroking Ringo's face as he slipped away. Tears rolled down my face as my friend left me.

I got back home right before dark, did chores and came in. Ringo will be buried this morning. The dogs will get to see him and say good bye. Sentry followed me, on the inside of the fence, down the long driveway yesterday, whining all the way. He knew.

Ringo has left his legacy in my flock. I have 16 breeding ewes, 12 of them are his daughters. I have 3 new ewe lambs, 1 registered, and 5 ewes bred to him, due in April.

Ringo lives.