Ringo has Moved to TEXAS 2-28-19 to 2-6-23 Goodbye Dear Friend

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much easier to work with than a couple of our previous rams who needed to be roped in the corral to get the marking harness in them! RODEO TIME! lol How old is Ringo? Hopefuly he will stay this sweet as he ages.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo is 6 years old. I started out wanting Dorpers and got Dorper/Katahdin cross ewes, then a Dorper ram. He had a bad attitude, the lady who sold him to me said that his sire would take your kneecap off. The more I learned about Dorpers and Katahdins, the more I liked the Katahdins. I know that rams are rams, but the Katahdins seem to be a lot calmer. I know I don't have a lot of first hand experience with rams, so I read, study and talk to people who have more experience than I do. I drew the conclusion that Katahdins are the best fit for me. I'll add a few registered ewes in the future.

I am getting repetitious but I am so happy that you guys have that boy!
Ringo is home. He's never going anywhere. :love

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone finds the breeds they love beyond others. Whether it is for their looks, temperaments, adaptability to their geographical location, usefulness, etc. I never criticize anyone's choice, since what works in one location for some people might not work on the other side of the country for others. Our farming practices and localities are all different and we have to choose the species and breed that fits our needs, properties, locations, and that we enjoy. You also have to like looking at your animals.

I used to think Dorsets were the best sheep breed but since getting these Dorpers I love the Dorpers much better. I don't want to shear and everything that I loved about the Dorsets I get twofold in my Dorpers. DH was like that with his New Zealand White rabbits until we got a couple of nice Californians for the children to breed meat pens. The Cals were gentler, easier to handle, and produced fryers 2 weeks earlier than DH's best NZWs. He became a convert to Cals, although the NZWs still have a special place in his heart.

We have had several rams of different breeds as well as a market lamb production ram. I never turn my back on a ram - I always want to know where the ram is in the pen. Our bucks could be trusted, but not rams. The Dorset rams were fairly nice tempered, the production ram was ok too, although I never trust a ram. The beautiful show Hampshire ram DS1 owned however, would kill you as soon as look at you and was only safe in a halter with a steel shank. He was also the size of a small Shetland pony and powerful. He knocked DS1 down one time and sent him flying across the paddock. DS1 was a linebacker on the high school football team, weighed 200 lbs. of muscle and bench pressed 350 lbs. He made the mistake of turning his back on that ram. Luckily he was not injured, although he limped for several days.

Our Dorper rams are even tempered though, and docile. Once caught, they stand still for us to work with them. I really prefer them not to be too much of a pet because I want them to be respectful of me.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And, yes, he does!! You need to talk with him and his dog, to explain he is leaving there, going to a good home. Please tell him how you have enjoyed knowing him and love him. He will miss you but know he was not abandoned by you. Trust me, they do hear you! :)

I once sold a stallion that I had had for almost 8 years, to a fine home (when we dispersed with DH terminal cancer). The little stally & I had several talks. The lady came for him, another talk...she thought I was nuts!...and we had a first right of refusal contract. Several years later, she advised he was available. I went from VA to FL 2 weeks later to get him. At the time I arrived we looked at Sir, I loved on him, we discussed pick-up and time I was leaving, etc. She said he's been difficult to catch lately, wake me if you need help. He isn't wanting to be caught & haltered, unlike him but he has been that way for a few months.

At 4AM I went to his pasture, called him & he trotted to me. I said "Sir, we are going home!" Held out his halter, he put his head in as he always had, jumped into the trailer and off we went! Almost 6 years apart and we still knew each other. He was here with me another 12 years, until I buried him at 35 years of age!! Broke my heart. Miss that boy to this day...it's been 2 years.:love

So -- this is now on your diet? :lol:
I had no idea a horse could live 35 years. Is that common age for horses to live to?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not uncommon good care and good genetics. Most that live that long are still in good health too, since otherwise they would not make it. Our old (retired) horses were 28, 32, 32, 29, and 32 when they died. We did not pamper them with anything special, except the pony and one TWH mare who had lost teeth - they got Senior added to their hay ration the last 2 years. We live in so Cal so they lived outside in a large pasture - no barn - rain or shine and yes, it does get heavy rain and cold here. Like a friend said - they wear leather. lol They didn't even need to be trimmed the last 5 years of their lives since their hooves wore off on the field. Great horses - never underestimate the love between a person and their horses and dogs. Something special.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is an extended age for horses but, with good care many can live that long. I use a senior feed (Blue Seal Sentinal senior) for them as it is a complete feed -- beet pulp & grains in an extruded pellet -- as they cannot chew hay well, no jaw teeth.
The pellets are a little larger but, soft when slightly moist by saliva. Most can still eat the young spring grasses, they have front teeth. However, the feed provides all they need and the nibbling is purely habit. Most are dry lotted or on short pastures at this age. The walking about is exercise they need. Yeah, these are animals of commitment for owners. :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses we have had our conversations about my two old seniors. It can be a delicate balancing act. We want the best for our old friends and give them the best care that we can. Joe, love of my life, at 30 years old is in steady decline. That's his eye in my avatar. Slow, but sure, the end is coming, it's anybody's guess when that will be. But until that day comes, he is still my sweetheart, and he will have the best life I can possibly provide for him. Sparkles, 32 years old, Tennessee Walker is still roly-poly, looks like an 8 year old except for the tell-tale graying on her face. She has heaves and sometimes I think she won't make it another winter, but she is still here and is the ONLY one I let come sneak a bite of feed from the bucket when I go to feed them. She has earned that right and has never became pushy, she just grabs a bite, then walks away, chewing it. LOL

Latest posts