Ringworm Treatment?

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bella & Butterscotch seem to have gotten Ringworm. Bella has had a small spot on the top of her neck for a couple weeks now, i originally thought it was where she scraped herself on the fence. But now Butterscotch has a large spot on the side of her face covered with a moist, crusty scab, seems painful for her when i touch it.

I called the vet but have to wait for him to call me back. So I want to know if there's a way to treat it that's not through the Vet that maybe i can do tonight?

I haven't been feeling well since my flu vaccine and am kind of out of it.. so the first thought in my head when i saw her face was "what did you do? then of course i picked at the scab on her face! I have eczema on my hands that is kind of flared up right now but i immediately came in and washed with Dawn then sanitized after i realized that it might be Ringworm. could i still get it?

I think i will go put my hands in bleach water just to make sure :barnie

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks guys! After i posted this I felt like an idiot... earlier this year i had to treat my Chihuahua for ringworm and i did it with Iodine and then athletes foot cream afterwards. the vet will probably call me back and tell me iodine instead of buying medicine but i am glad i remembered. I doused the spots on both girls with it tonight and will have to pick up some cream tomorrow.

I cannot believe how fast the spot on Butterscotch popped up.. it's gotta be at least 1 inch in diameter.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sunlight will also help - so If they can spend time outdoors in the sun, along with the meds, it will speed their treatment. :)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
One year at the dairy we had a storm of ringworm spread through the calves, and we also got it of course. We had good luck with Fluid Film, which is in a spray can sold at John Deere dealerships. Athlete's foot meds work, but SLOWLY. Scrape or scrub off the crusties at each site, then spray with fluid film. And wear gloves!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Hi Bleene
Try old engine oil (burnt) - heres an old BYH post from Farmer Kitty - trust me it works

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1560
That is a very old method and supposedly works on a number of fungal type problems, including mange in dogs, tho I have always been hesitant to try it with all the additives present in modern lubricants.

Hitlestie311

Just born
Reaction score
Bleenie said:
Bella & Butterscotch seem to have gotten Ringworm. Bella has had a small spot on the top of her neck for a couple weeks now, i originally thought it was where she scraped herself on the fence. But now Butterscotch has a large spot on the side of her face covered with a moist, crusty scab, seems painful for her when i touch it.

I called the vet but have to wait for him to call me back. So I want to know if there's a way to treat it that's not through the Vet that maybe i can do tonight?

I haven't been feeling well since my flu vaccine and am kind of out of it.. so the first thought in my head when i saw her face was "what did you do? then of course i picked at the scab on her face! I have eczema on my hands that is kind of flared up right now but i immediately came in and washed with Dawn then sanitized after i realized that it might be Ringworm. could i still get it?

I think i will go put my hands in bleach water just to make sure :barnie
On the first concern, it is best that the ringworm treatment is handled by your vet to ensure that you get the optimal results.On the second issue, we have remember that tinea or ringworm is a zoonotic disease or that it can be transmitted by an infected animal to humans. I've read in an article published online that about 13 percent of ringworm in humans are caused by ringworm infection in animals.

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We did iodine and a salve I had made up with essential oils that worked pretty well. The salve just has peppermint and rosemary in. Its what I use on scrapes, poison ivy, bug bites. Well just about everything really.

When in doubt try everything at once lol. Well thats what I usually do anyway. definitely do the iodine though. Thats what our vet recommended also.