Rita... The BIRTHDAY Girl!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I don't think feeding out of order is quite as big a deal when they all have private living quarters (is it? :idunno) I think the pecking order stuff becomes an issue when it's being fed (or milked) in a group context. Heaven forbid you snub the queen! :hide

Actually it still makes no difference... even when stalled or separated they KNOW their order.
Good golly you best NEVER mess up the milking order ... seriously, they don't know what to do. It is like mayhem, they might not even let down their milk, or may start kicking, they will definitely protest.
Just wait til you get goats!
You are in for a whole new world! :lol:

Sorry hijack.
Pfft no worries here... Rita's thread is like a family thread... anything goes. LOL we can talk about abything... personally I think it can be kinda fun to see how things twist and turn. (Note to sel- I need a life)

I really feel like she is "our" girl.

She really is a sweetheart. My DH says oh boy does she have eyes for you. Yeah, she does. She is making progress with the timidity too. I just cannot tolerate it and so I don't. No babying that nonsense. I tell her knock it off and sit down and stay.

When people do that babying and do the it's ok in that high pitched babyfied way and coddle the dog it instills more fear and will not help bring them out of that timid mode.

Right now I am her courage so she sees me as her protector, mentor, mommy dog if you will.
She actually is now coming up to my own son- still hesitant and nervous but doesn't run to the other end of the room and she hasn't growled at him lately. It isn't the hunting or blood she is just freaked out by men it seems and all adults. :\ Kids she likes.:)
So there is major progress.

Her legs are getting long. She is lean, which is good... her bones are big and paws huge! I don't want what happened to Tiggs to happen to her. I will forever feel the guilt with Tiggs.

She had her nails done again today. This is second time. She was great.... but she thought mom was trying to play with her feet and that meant play with mommy. :rolleyes:

"Sit" is coming along well. I really need to lead work her soon, or start it anyway. Her harness is too small so a new one we will get.

We are thinking HOT PINK! or LIGHT PINK! Collar too...
What do yall think?
I was thinking hot pink cuz she is hot stuff! :lol::lol::lol:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like Latestarter just learned never feed the horses out of order! Lol!
OR GOATS! :lol::lol::lol:

I got Tiggs at 13 weeks and put him on better feed but he grew so fast and I was Not careful in his calcium intake... bones in his front legs were greatly affected, we have some calcification :(
Tiggs is giant. 160 lbs in winter and he is two actually two and a half now. 35-36 " tall. Massive head... BIG BABY!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
  • Big baby is right! Is that painful for him? I don't know much about that . but yes, totally go pink. My husband won't let me put a pink collar on our dog because it would make her look "wimpy". Whatever... She can do that all on her own without a pink collar!