• Cocoa

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I believe @Roving Jacobs was milking her sheep over the past few years. You could do a search and find her threads on it. I'm not sure if @Sheepshape or @mysunwolf milk their sheep. Seems to me I recall at least one other but can't recall who it was. o_O I believe if you wish to milk, you'll want to start sooner rather than later as the ewe will only produce what's needed and the lamb will need most of what's produced the first few weeks. so if you're not milking, her production will adjust down to satisfy what's needed by the lamb. I'm not really sure... :hu

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Milk as soon as you can to maintain good outputs. Sheep are easy to milk, but, because you'll be low down, it's likely to cause backache!

Wash you hand well, then wash off the teat. Grasp the teat firmly, but gently, and 'bump' your hand upwards onto the udder (You'll see the lambs do this when they start to feed). Pull down gently, 'milking' the teat from top to bottom. (You may get nothing for the first few pulls as milk letdown depends on oxytocin release from the brain, caused by teat stimulation). After a few pulls the milk should come down in nice 'jets'.

Repeat on the opposite side.

Good Luck.

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK, thank you so much! I'll let y'all know how it goes!

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I tried milking tonight and it didn't go so well... she gets really stressed out when I milk. Oh well, maybe next time! I have another question... how do I know if the lamb is getting enough milk? She is nursing a lot, but seems a little skinny to me. She seems happy though, and has a ton of energy. I don't know....:idunnoShould I supplement?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambs nurse frequently. They don’t get huge fat full bellies. They get what they need. I’m sure your lamb is fine. Take a deep breath, and relax Lammy Grammy!

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lambs nurse frequently. They don’t get huge fat full bellies. They get what they need. I’m sure your lamb is fine. Take a deep breath, and relax Lammy Grammy!
Lol, that made me smile! :D I know I'm a little over worried with this being my first time and all, but this Lammy Grammy will try to follow that advice! I appreciate y'alls patience and help- I need it! ;)

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our other ewe lambed Monday!! A teeny tiny ewe lamb! :celebrate She was rather weak at first and mom's teats were humongous so she had issues nursing, but has now figured it out and is much stronger and doing great! Pictures coming soon! Named the first lamb Bria after all, she is doing fantastic and is huge, especially now that we have a very small newborn to compare to! ;) I'll try to get some new pictures of her on here as well...

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DSC_0687.JPG

This is Bria :)

Attachments

• DSC_0697.JPG
    DSC_0697.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0698.JPG
    DSC_0698.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 109