Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cocoa

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I've had my ram with the ewes all fall and didn't know when the girls were due, although from just watching the ram's activity I figured it was probably somewhere around Aprilish. Today I discovered that my ram was being very aggressive with the ewes. I was very upset with him, but it kind of turned out as a blessing in disguise, because after I separated him I went in to check the ewes to make sure they were OK and discovered that my ewe Simchah has a very full udder, so I checked her vulva and it looks like we'll be having lambs sooner than I thought! I will try to post pictures and keep y'all updated on her progress. Can someone more experienced tell me how long for sheep is it that they bag up before they lamb? Her bag and teats are definitely very full. Also, should I separate the other ewe from her?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well congrats in advance. I believe sheep and goats are very similar. Is the ewe a first timer? "Generally" with a more experienced mother, the bagging happens closer to the delivery... GENERALLY... With first timers, they could start a month in advance, or several days after delivery... :idunno:barnie As for separating them, that may stress her out, or may have the opposite effect. You really just have to keep an eye on her. If she's seeking separation, then separation might be a good idea. If she's comfy with the other ewe there, then I wouldn't necessarily worry too much.

@mysunwolf @Sheepshape @luvmypets @Baymule @Mike CHS I know there are quite a few others as well... Good luck :fl and let us know (& see! Pics pls!).

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Latestarter, thanks so much for all that information! I'm super excited for my first lambs, so needless to say, I hope it's not a month out!! :) Her vulva is also red and puffy, so I guess that's a good sign... Oh, and yes, she is a first timer. She and the other ewe are good friends excepting the occasional playful "fighting" :p so I guess I'll leave them together unless something changes. I'm terrible at getting pics, but I'll definitely try hard to get some on this thread, especially when the lambs come!:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't separate my ewes for lambing. Most of them lamb in the open, I have one that seeks out their shelter to lamb in. My ewes bag up and get puffy about 3 weeks before lambing. Congrats on your first lambing. There is nothing like it! And YES we want pictures!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
SUCH a difficult question to ask. Ewes vary a lot...from those who have a huge udder anything from 4 weeks before lambing, to those who udder very little and only at lambing.

Older ewes tend to 'bag up' first.

As the size of the udder isn't always useful, other clues should be sought. You've mentioned the swollen vulva...that usually happens anything from 2 weeks before lambing. "Dropping'....belly looks to be hanging lower suddenly, she may not look as wide as the days before, and there is a hollow either side of her tail. Some ewes go off their food (not all, some eat even between lambs in a twin birth).

Finally, the ewe separating off from the others, sometimes stopping whilst walking along (contractions). You may see a vaginal discharge...should be clear....or a mucus plug as the cervix dilates. 'Nesting' is a late sign; the ewe scratches the ground with her front hooves, with the scratching increasing as the birth approaches. Finally a sac will appear...the birth is taking place.

One last thing...colostrum should be present a few days before the lambs will arrive. I wouldn't suggest trying to pull colostrum down, though, as infection (mastitis) sometimes is caused by doing this.

What puzzles me is why the ram was aggressive. Rams usually have a neutral approach to birthing.....keeps his distance.

Good Luck.

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank y'all! It's very helpful to hear from you who have been doing this longer! :) The ram is puzzling me too... I'm wondering if it's time for the freezer for him although I hate to say that, and my brother(who does the sheep with me) is very attached to him. I guess we'll see if he straightened up his attitude! Like I said I'll really try to get pictures.:)

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FINALLY we got a lamb!!! :weeeSimcha lambed yesterday morning and did great! Healthy mom and ewe lamb, the lamb had a bit of trouble nursing at first (and therefore keeping warm) but after some help is now doing great! Isn't she adorbs!? Maybe I'm a little biased :p, but I think she's so amazingly perfectly adorable!! And I get to keep her! ;)Any name ideas? All of our animals (cows and sheep) have Hebrew names except our cow Violet, so I'm thinking maybe a flower name so Violet fits in better. :p;) Like Lily or Rosie, but I also thought Cocoa was cute. Other suggestions?

P.S. Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest.... I'll definitely have more later!

Attachments

• DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00153.JPG
    DSC00153.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00154.JPG
    DSC00154.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 97

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats! How exciting! She looks very sweet.Thanks for sharing the pics!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a cutie! Love her, she is beautiful. I like Cocoa for a name.

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you both! Thanks for the name opinion too, @Baymule ! I'm not good at deciding on names and appreciate ideas and opinions! :)
Has anyone here milked their sheep before and how did you go about it? Do you milk right from the get go or start later? Ideas on how to keep a first time mom calm while milking?

Latest posts